sandisk vs pny

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there a difference in the two cards? I have read the sandisk are faster - but what is the limiting factor when using a camera - how fast the camera writes or how fast the memory card can be written? ie. would the write speed change if I used a slower PNY card?
FYI, using 2 gb card, no RAW

Speeds

There are different speed grades available, measured the same as CD-ROMs, in multiples of 150 kB/s (1x = 150 kB/s). Basic cards transfer data up to six times (6x) the data rate of the standard CD-ROM speed (900 kB/s vs. 150 kB/s).

Note that maximum read speed and maximum write speed may be different. Maximum write speed typically is lower than maximum read speed. Some digital cameras require high-speed cards (write speed) to record video smoothly or capture multiple still photographs in rapid succession. This requires a certain sustained speed, or the video stops recording. For recording, a high maximum speed with a low sustained speed is no better than a low speed card. The 2.0 specification defines speeds up to 200x.

Some manufacturers use the read speed in their X-ratings, while others (Kingston, for example) use write speed.[7]

This table lists common ratings and minimum transfer rates.
Rating Write Speed (MByte/s) SD Class
6x 0.9 n/a
10x 1.5 n/a
13x 2.0 2
26x 4.0 4
32x 4.8 5
40x 6.0 6
66x 10.0 10
100x 15.0 15
133x 20.0 20
150x 22.5 22
200x 30.0 30
266x 40.0 40
300x 45.0 45
[edit] SD Speed Class Ratings

SD Cards and SDHC Cards have Speed Class Ratings defined by the SD Association. The SD Speed Class Ratings specify the following minimum write speeds based on "the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied":[8]

* Class 2: 2 MByte/s - 13x
* Class 4: 4 MByte/s - 26x
* Class 6: 6 MByte/s - 40x

SD and SDHC cards will often also advertise a maximum speed (such as 133x or 150x) in addition to this minimum Speed Class Rating. Important differences between the Speed Class and the traditional "X" speed ratings are; 1) the ability of the host device to query the SD card for the speed class and determine the best location to store data that meets the performance required, 2) class speed defines the minimum transfer speed. Even though the class ratings are defined by a governing body, like "X" speed ratings, class speed ratings are quoted by the manufacturers but unverified by any independent evaluation process.

On 21 May 2009, Panasonic announced new "class 10" SDHC cards, claiming that this new class is "part of SD Card Specification Ver.3.0".[9] Toshiba also announced cards based on the new 3.0 spec[10] As of December 2009[update], the SD Association's Web site does not include information on this new class or new specification.

I use QMemory 150x SD cards from flashmemorystore.com. They work good for me. I just bought two Transcend 8gb class 6 SDHC cards but haven't used them yet.

You've got all the information you need in that post above.

I have used both manufacturers and had good luck.

Why aren't you shooting in RAW? It is far superior for post processing.

When shooting RAW + JPEG is when the speed of the card really comes into play. Of course all of that depends on the camera you are using, which I didn't see listed.

I was using the sandisk extreme pro cards for my canon 5d and they keep up just as fast as I can take the pictures, but I am now working with a canon wireless file transmitter, since a majority of the time I have the computer nearby. When it comes to some of the photo shoots I do, it is nice to see the pictures pop right up on the 17" display on the laptop.

But for my underwater Sea and Sea, I just use a sandisk extreme card, since the camera is a bit slow to recycle after flash.

Why aren't you shooting in RAW? It is far superior for post processing.

When shooting RAW + JPEG is when the speed of the card really comes into play. Of course all of that depends on the camera you are using, which I didn't see listed.
the nikon p5100 (in my sig line :D) does not have RAW capabilities

Is there a difference in the two cards? I have read the sandisk are faster - but what is the limiting factor when using a camera - how fast the camera writes or how fast the memory card can be written? ie. would the write speed change if I used a slower PNY card?

In general if your camera can shoot it, (I notice that the OP's camera can't but the advice is for those of you with other cameras) you should definitely use it. Makes all post processing much easier and way more better.

For card speed look here.
Rob Galbraith DPI: Canon EOS 5D Mark II

They have links to each camera (at least DSLRs mostly) and what you see is that there are fast and slow cards from all makers. If you need really fast cards look here
Rob Galbraith DPI: SanDisk, Transcend and PhotoFast roll out speedy cards up to 64GB

There are very very fast (not very cheap though) cards from Transcend and Photofast.

The fastest cards for my 50D are Sandisk extreme Ducati at 33.7 MB/s for raw file writing and the fastest PNY is the Optima pro at 29.8 MB/s which are probably in the real world not different at all.

In any case, take a look at the tables and pick cards that fit your needs.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom