Sangalaki or Layang Layang in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are flights from KK to Tarakan, it might be MAS, cannot remember since I have never done that route. KK to Tarakan are not daily flights.

In terms of Pak Kadek, he might not be there anymore. He may have opened up a dive shop or running a dive shop from Danakan in Derawan. This is not related to Derawan Dive Resort.

I'll be there on june 16th :=) can't wait!

Just got back from Sanglaki. Diving is still great. Turtles still come ashore evernight, and the young ones scamper into the oceans.

Mandarin fish still there and mate on schedule, but patients is required.

Mantas still there.

The resident pygmy sea horse has moved on, but left behind some tiny tiny tiny tiny babies.

Putu, Otong and Reefie still there. Great set of eyes with some understanding of the ocean environment.

Due to the large amounts of rain in the past months, lots of fresh water.

On the way in from where-ever, Tarakan/Tanjung Batu or Berau buy some fresh fruits for the team of 20. Apples, oranges, grapes... anything is greatly appreciated. A very simple cheap gift for all to enjoy.

If you are coming in from Tarakan side, you may need a letter of sponsorship. It states you will be going to "where" for your holiday, provided by the operators.

You will still need the visa, and the sponsorship letter. You cannot type this yourself as you need company stamp or letter head from the operator.

Somehow from Balikpapan, this sponsorship letter is not required, only Tarakan. Having said that Dumai also needs this letter, but it is very unlikely any of you will enter via this port. It was explained to me Balikpapan is a full fledge international port, unlike the local Tarakan and Dumai ports.

David - If flying via Balikpapan with Silkair, I have been told that we need to get the Indonesian visa in advance as you can't get on arrival there. Is this still correct ?

You can get the visa upon arrival at Balikpapan. It cost USD$30.

As you enter the terminal, the payment counter for this visa is on the left hand side, not exactly obvious. You can pay in Rupiah but the conversion is terrible.

davidlkh:
On the way in from where-ever, Tarakan/Tanjung Batu or Berau buy some fresh fruits for the team of 20. Apples, oranges, grapes... anything is greatly appreciated. A very simple cheap gift for all to enjoy.

My departure date is approaching and was wondering about the quality of the food there ? Sure I will bring fruits for the staff but the recommendation makes me wonder if I should bring stuff for myself as well ? Thanks in advance

On the food issue:
I wasn't that impressed with what they were offering. I wasn't expecting sushi, but I did expect freshness. What my group experienced was that some leftovers from dinner got recycled to the next lunch, and leftovers from lunch became a part of the next dinner buffet. I ladled "noodle soup" one lunchtime only to realise that the noodle came from last night's spaghetti bolognaise.
I'd suggest bringing chocolate bars, potato chips, any other snack items you'd want to supplement your meals with. If you're into jam and toast for breakfast, bring your own jam, as the resort only provides very low quality, extra sugary Indonesian brands. If you have time to stop at a convenience shop in Berau before catching the boat to Sangalaki, you may want to get some fruit juices (I can recommend the "buavita" brand) in carton packages, as they're probably to closest you'd get to real juice, as opposed to tang or some other powder/water mix during your stay.
The food issue, however, wasn't really an issue as the diving was so spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom