Sangalaki or Layang Layang in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The food can be good, but you have to eat local. Must remember the cook is Indonesian, so he needs to interpret what he thinks is a bolognaise. Once it comes to local stuff, I do enjoy the meals and the quality instantly improves.

Yes, freshness is indeed an issue. Since it is a marine park, fish is not caught on site, but brought in. In fact everything has to be brought in. Since delivery is not daily, it is difficult to get fresh whatever.

They typically serve watermellons and papayas as fruit deserts, but I personally prefer more fruit variety.

Not very encouraging... But I will be prepared and assume the worst food wise (for me it was Sipadan) ! ...And prey for the best re. the diving !

My most recent trip to Sangalaki and Derawan about 2 weeks back, even the more populated Derawan village was running out of fruits, fuel, flour... etc because the local shipment was a few days late.

As to the food left-overs, I do not think that happened on any of my trips there. Then again, they realize I prefer local Indonesian fare which suits the climate, availability of spices, meat and cooking technique. So my meals were pretty good. The cook does a great beef rendang (Indonesian beef stew) with pickled vegetables on the side.

It is a bit like going to a Chinese restaurant and you ask for a beef steak or burger... it is not going to come out as you expect it. Equally if you go to Hard Rock Cafe and ask for fried noodles... yuck!

When the food tastes good, it actually gets polished off by all; no left overs.

For the best foreign food in Berau area, it probably is Nabucco in Maratua. Derawan Dive Resort is also quite good.

But like you said, I am there for the diving. Food is secondary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom