Sartek lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNawman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Guys, I'm looking to buy a good can light. I have been looking at the Dive Rite, but I just saw the Sartek and really like the looks of that one. I will use the light for cave and wreck. I would appreciate any feed back from those who have owned or used either of these lights. I am looking for durability, reliability and factory service. Thanks in advance. Dive safe.

MNawman:
Hey Guys, I'm looking to buy a good can light. I have been looking at the Dive Rite, but I just saw the Sartek and really like the looks of that one. I will use the light for cave and wreck. I would appreciate any feed back from those who have owned or used either of these lights. I am looking for durability, reliability and factory service. Thanks in advance. Dive safe.

No question, get a Salvo light.

http://www.salvodiving.com/lighting

Yep, get a Salvo. I've had both. Sartek uses the W/A bulb which is very fragile. Salvo uses Brightstar which is much more shock resistant. You can literally bang the light head on a counter top and not kill the bulb.

Have you considered a lite from custom divers?

loosebits:
Yep, get a Salvo. I've had both. Sartek uses the W/A bulb which is very fragile. Salvo uses Brightstar which is much more shock resistant. You can literally bang the light head on a counter top and not kill the bulb.

Not totally correct.. A few years ago EVERYONE used a WA bulb/ballast, but since the brightstar bulbs became available in a various sizes they are being use by just about everyone, Sartek included.. WA bulbs are still used on specific lights where a Brightstar is not available..

My Sartek 18w was converted by them to a Brightstar bulb over a year ago (after by last bulb died).. The WA bulb had better light characteristics (still better for video IMHO), but the brightstart bulbs are much more resilient.. Sartek also has lights that you can switch the wattage of the output at any time.. for the higher wattage lights I definately prefer the acrylic cannisters from Sartek, you can get a nice size pack and don't have the problems that delrin or pvc have with continuous exposures to strong sunlight..

I have one of the newer Brightstar Sarteks, and think it is great. A buddy has the older WA Sartek and hasn't had a problem with it, either. And yes, you can tell a difference in the light characteristics of the two.

I use and sell Salvo lights. Their is nothing wrong with the sartec and if you want one that is the one I would get. I have never had any complaints out of any of the customers I have sold Salvo too. In my opinion the salvo lights are far better than anything else on the market. I can use any light I want and salvo is the one I chose, after I started using it I then started selling it.

Brent

loosebits and Daedalus, What is the difference between the Li-Ion and the NIMH battery packs? Which one do you guys recommend?

Webhead, I haven't heard of custom divers. Do you have a contact number or their website? I'm always looking for new dive shops. Disregard last, I found them. Great site, cool stuff!

I have the Sartek Mini5 with the 10 watt adjustable light head. So far after 25-30 dives it has been great. The Li-Ion battery is fantastic (4-4.5 hrs of burn time minimum) and a nice size too. I had a Salvo 10 watt and it was nice but the NiMH battery is bigger and heavier and the Salvo light head is just plain too big. Both are very durable as they both use the Brightstar bulb now. My wife is due for a new light and we have decided she will get a Sartek as well. BTW we use ours for caves as well as wrecks. The focusable head is nice to thow the light differently in different areas.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom