Sartek lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNawman:
Webhead, I haven't heard of custom divers. Do you have a contact number or their website? I'm always looking for new dive shops. Disregard last, I found them. Great site, cool stuff!

www.customdivers.com

My instructor has one of their 10w lamps - very nice - bright and the battery case is solid and thin. I was going to buy one at DEMA when they were on sale but ended up with an OMS one instead since a friend was able to get me a really good discount.

The NIMH was the new technology that allowed us to get away from SLA (small car batteries). NIMH batteries in combination with HID lights allow for smaller and lighter battery packs with much longer burn times. The LION battery is a newer technology than NIMH in dive lights. It allows for an even smaller pack and longer run times. If you don't need the longer run times...think 6 hours I wouldn't pay the extra money for the LION. If you need the longer burn the LION is worth it.

Just my opinon.

Brent

MNawman:
loosebits and Daedalus, What is the difference between the Li-Ion and the NIMH battery packs? Which one do you guys recommend?

hunter991:
The NIMH was the new technology that allowed us to get away from SLA (small car batteries). NIMH batteries in combination with HID lights allow for smaller and lighter battery packs with much longer burn times. The LION battery is a newer technology than NIMH in dive lights. It allows for an even smaller pack and longer run times. If you don't need the longer run times...think 6 hours I wouldn't pay the extra money for the LION. If you need the longer burn the LION is worth it.

Just my opinon.

Brent

When I was shopping for a canister light, one of the mfr's reps told me that travelling by airline with Li-ion batteries was verboten, but NiMH was OK. Has anyone else heard anything like that?

diversolo:
When I was shopping for a canister light, one of the mfr's reps told me that travelling by airline with Li-ion batteries was verboten, but NiMH was OK. Has anyone else heard anything like that?

there are different types of lithium batteries, and each have their own limits .. the type used in dive lights is the same thats used in computers and cellular phones and has a higher allowable limit than say som,ething like a liSOCl2

here is the pertinent regs

According to IATA, "​
[FONT=Arial,Italic]consumer electronic devices containing lithium or lithium-ion cells or batteries, such as
watches, calculating machines, cameras, cellular phones, lap-top computers, camcorders, etc., when
carried by air passengers or crew for personal use"
are permitted aboard passenger aircraft as carry-on
baggage or checked baggage, without the approval of the operator or pilot-in-command.
The same applies to
[FONT=Arial,Italic]spare batteries [/FONT]for these devices, as long as they are
- individually protected against short circuits,
- in carry-on baggage only,
- for primary batteries, with a lithium content of less than 2 grams,
- for lithium-ion batteries, with an "aggregate lithium-equivalent content*" of less than 8 grams,
If the aggregate lithium-equivalent content of lithium-ion batteries exceeds 8 g but not 25 g, the number of
spares is limited to 2 per person. Primary batteries containing more than 2 grams of lithium and
rechargeable batteries containing more than 25 equivalent grams of lithium-equivalent cannot be carried by
passengers aboard aircraft.

[/FONT]
ADDITIONAL INFO
a LI-on cell of about 7Ah has a lithium equivalent of abour 2 grams

padiscubapro:
there are different types of lithium batteries, and each have their own limits .. the type used in dive lights is the same thats used in computers and cellular phones and has a higher allowable limit than say som,ething like a liSOCl2

here is the pertinent regs

According to IATA, "​
[FONT=Arial,Italic]consumer electronic devices containing lithium or lithium-ion cells or batteries, such as
watches, calculating machines, cameras, cellular phones, lap-top computers, camcorders, etc., when
carried by air passengers or crew for personal use"
are permitted aboard passenger aircraft as carry-on
baggage or checked baggage, without the approval of the operator or pilot-in-command.
The same applies to
[FONT=Arial,Italic]spare batteries [/FONT]for these devices, as long as they are
- individually protected against short circuits,
- in carry-on baggage only,
- for primary batteries, with a lithium content of less than 2 grams,
- for lithium-ion batteries, with an "aggregate lithium-equivalent content*" of less than 8 grams,
If the aggregate lithium-equivalent content of lithium-ion batteries exceeds 8 g but not 25 g, the number of
spares is limited to 2 per person. Primary batteries containing more than 2 grams of lithium and
rechargeable batteries containing more than 25 equivalent grams of lithium-equivalent cannot be carried by
passengers aboard aircraft.

[/FONT]
ADDITIONAL INFO
a LI-on cell of about 7Ah has a lithium equivalent of abour 2 grams

Hey, thanks for the info, padiscubapro. I wonder if these guidelines will be tightened after what transpired today at Heathrow?

diversolo:
Hey, thanks for the info, padiscubapro. I wonder if these guidelines will be tightened after what transpired today at Heathrow?

You may want to go back and read the 1st one or two pages of this thread. Someone who makes Li ion battery packs shared what he knew about the subject. Worth reading.

I had a Dive Rite light and was very unhappy with it. The handle broke in a couple months so I sent it back for repairs. They repaired it but it got lost when they shipped it back. It was'nt insured so I do'nt know if I am going to see it again. Next time I will buy a salvo.

I have yet to have one customer say anything negative about a salvo light, no complaints at all. I wish I could say that about all my vendors.

Brent

I have had a 10W Sartek for 4 years. I had one problem which was promptly fixed by Sartek at their cost. I have a lot of dives on it and still like it.

Jerry

No OMS fans out there? The newer 10wt is pretty nice I think, and the other back up light as well. Of coarse I don't own one, so I don't know how well it will hold up, but it looks really well made. Like all of their stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom