SARTEK Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RUFUST

Registered
Reaction score
Having just gotten a good deal on a SARTEK HID I need a little tech help.To open canister do you just pull the pin and twist open or is there a trick to it? I just want to know before I do something dumb.
Thanks in advance
Jim

RUFUST:
Having just gotten a good deal on a SARTEK HID I need a little tech help.To open canister do you just pull the pin and twist open or is there a trick to it? I just want to know before I do something dumb.
Thanks in advance
Jim

But that little pin can be a pain to use. After about the 2nd dive I chucked it into a box and always kept a skinny screwdriver with me - much easier to open.

Hand tighten to close. DO NOT use the screwdriver to He-Man the thing shut. The water pressure will do a fine job of that.

---
Ken

RUFUST:
Thanks in advance
Jim
Ken is right, the pin is for leverage to open the light NOT to close it. Your post hints that this might be the first time you are opening it. Because of atmospheric pressure changes or altitude changes there might be a lower pressure inside the canister than the ambient pressure outside of it. Grasp the body of the canister firmly and using the pin or a serewdriver turn the cap on the BOTTOM of the light in a counterclockwise direction and it will eventually open.

Once you have it open lightly lubricate both of the O-rings with silicone lubricant before you close it back up. When you do close it do not use the pin, hand tight will be fine, as Ken has indicated.

When I fly or travel by car when an altitude change during my journey will be an issue, I completely remove the end cap an put it in a ziplock bag. The bag is to keep dirt off of the O-rings. You should also try to make sure that you make a habit of keeping the battery unplugged until you are going to use the light. It sucks to discover that the light has been on for 4 hours while you drove to the dive and made all of the preparations to get in the water, only discovering the nearly dead battery shortly before getting in the water.

I am quite happy with my Sartek light, I am sure you will have many good dives with yours.

Mark Vlahos

Thanks guys,The little screwdriver with a little more force worked.Yes it was my first time opening it and didn't want to mess up a hidden pin or something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom