Saturday after Thanksgiving (11/27) BHB Turkey Fry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... we plan on being there--we have been thinking about going Thanksgiving Day as well. I'm not sure what we will bring, the (good) cook in the family must be further consulted!!
That's why I tried to give plenty of notice... not sure if we will be there on Thanksgiving day yet.

I had SO MUCH FUN at this last year...I would be a YES but...I will be in STX for a few weeks, including Thanksgiving weekend, doing some research. I hope you manage to have fun without me. :wink: SRSLY, all local divers should check this out, a great time with great food and a great dive...will miss it (I hate to say I have a "better offer" but...well, it is what it is and I do. :blinking: ) Take lots of pics right, like you wouldn't, lol
We'll miss ya Debby. Enjoy your trip

Sweet! Hermit Crab and I are planning on attending. Love the high tide time, gives us plenty of time afterwards to socialize... and drink MUR.
It wouldn't be a party with Jenny and HC!

I'm there Jenny, I'm there sounds like fun. Let me know what I can bring or if theres anything I can do.
Don't ask her what to bring, post it here so we can all [-]have a laugh[/-] drool over the prospects

Sounds like a great plan.
It will be me, my daughter, brother and his gf.
I will bring typical DM Treats.
Excellent! What are typical DM Treats?

Put me down for stuffing
People are still talking about your stuffing from last year... yum!

Rice Krispy Bars again this year.

A few people have expressed interest in diving the inlet. If anyone experienced in diving the inlet is attending and would be willing, I think this would be a good opportunity for that.
mmmm, Rice Krispy Bars...

What inlet?

Just some discussion on a couple other threads.
One starts about here, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5531458-post33.html
Definitely not for everyone, something I'd like to try, but would prefer my first time be with someone who's done it.
Thanks for the link...

Diving the inlet might be interesting, but FWC has been passing out tickets to divers who end up in the channel this past summer... KBeck and I got called to the surface one day because we were "close" to the channel and we were warned to move away

Thanks for the link...

Diving the inlet might be interesting, but FWC has been passing out tickets to divers who end up in the channel this past summer... KBeck and I got called to the surface one day because we were "close" to the channel and we were warned to move away

The idea is to cross UW, not on the surface. A diver ought to be arrested for being in the channel topside IMO...

The idea is to cross UW, not on the surface. A diver ought to be arrested for being in the channel topside IMO...
... And where is the dive flag at that time, in the channel obstructing boat traffic on the surface?

I hope to attend this grand get together & will know in a week or so if I can. That will give me time to learn to cook or at least look at the list to see what needs to be bought from those good chefs at Publix or BJ's!!

TURKEY!!! I will bring an uncooked turkey & will find a chef at the park!!!

Last edited:
Use a lift bag before descending and launch while ascending next to the jetty or wherever...

Personal Floats Safety Sausage Tubes
While this option seems to be an exceptional (and to me, logical) way to make this safe and work...

The following is from Chapter 27 of the 2003 Florida Statutes:
Florida Statutes:
327.331 Divers; definitions; divers-down flag required; obstruction to navigation of certain waters; penalty.--

(2) All divers must prominently display a divers-down flag in the area in which the diving occurs, other than when diving in an area customarily used for swimming only.

(3) No diver or group of divers shall display one or more divers-down flags on a river, inlet, or navigation channel, except in case of emergency, in a manner which shall unreasonably constitute a navigational hazard.

(4) Divers shall make reasonable efforts to stay within 100 feet of the divers-down flag on rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. Any person operating a vessel on a river, inlet, or navigation channel must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 100 feet from any divers-down flag.

(5) Divers must make reasonable efforts to stay within 300 feet of the divers-down flag on all waters other than rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. Any person operating a vessel on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 300 feet from any divers-down flag.

(7) The divers-down flag must be lowered once all divers are aboard or ashore. No person may operate any vessel displaying a divers-down flag unless the vessel has one or more divers in the water.

(8) Except as provided in s. 327.33, any violation of this section shall be a noncriminal infraction punishable as provided in s. 327.73.
#2 seems to be the catch (with additional assistance from #3 and #4)...

As it was interpreted to me by a FWC officer;
(my words from the interpretation not direct quotes from the officer)

The divers-down flag must be flown in the area where divers are shore diving. A divers-down flag inside the channel is either an emergency or a navigational hazard
----
Much like some of the tools found in the link you provided, I have constructed my own dive float that allows me to pull it underwater for a period of time and then deploy it again once I am in a safe area to deploy.

Thanks for the link

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom