Save-a-dive Kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bring:
* extra mask
* extra computer
* extra divelight
* o-rings
* wrenches and other tools
* mouthpiece
* zip ties
* extra wetsuit
And whatever other extra I have and can put in my bag... Sometimes you can help another diver out too.

Thanks for all your kind responses. For my boat dive kit, I've put together the following. For my shore dives, spare computer, more hoses, and plenty of other stuff are in my bigger box since space is not an issue.
  • Extra batteries (lights, computer, AI transmitters)
  • A bit of bungee cord to fix stuff (straps for whatever)
  • Plug/caps for HP/LP 1st Stage (I run a redundant SPG, so if something has an issue, may need to cap something off)
  • Allen key for 1st stage, crescent wrench, and computer battery tool
  • Spare LP hose
  • Spare mouth piece and zip ties
  • Assorted o-rings
I'm sure I'll modify as time goes on. That and hopefully keeping up with regular maintenance and such will prevent the need to begin with.

O rings
Zip ties
Spare mask
Cresent wrench
Allen wrench

O-rings is what I need most often. After lots of club Wed nights at the pool, I have learned that if you really want to always have o-rings when you need them, you need to keep a few in your wallet too. Lots of people have o-rings and other spare parts when they go diving, but it's really nice when no one expected to need diving spares but you have them.

We wear drygloves, but we always have 3-finger (thick & warm) wetgloves in our backpacks.

I also always keep a few 1 and 2kg completely extra weights in the car.

FWIW, I learned the hard way to grind down my adjustable wrench to ~4mm thickness.
The stock Crescents or adjustables are too thick to avoid spalling many a first stage, or you can't even get the jaws on the fitting due to spacing constraints.
Alternatives such as my thin adjustable from the shop are too expensive to bring on a trip, and the sets of thin wrenches (typically bicycle wrenches) are too poorly machined to give a good grip without slipping and spalling the reg (tho I do bring them too).
So it was 20 min on a grinding wheel, and I've used it A LOT since.

Last edited:
FWIW, I learned the hard way to grind down my adjustable wrench to ~4mm thickness...

...So it was 20 min on a grinding wheel, and I've use it A LOT since.

Hmmm, I may be out on my grinder tomorrow... good idea!

Without actually inventorying the kit, which fits into a medium size plastic Craftsman tool box with a handle on top...

Spare uncut Zip Seals, dry suit inflator and dump valves, sharp scissors, computer batteries, push acuators (VR3) and O-rings, Viton (only) O-rings in common sizes and picks to remove old ones, zip ties, 10' or so of 1/8" bungee cord, a butane lighter, tools, an IP gauge, spare slate pencils, medium and large bolt snaps, tank valve handle with spring and nut, a dog clip, Aquaseal, silicone grease, spare dry gloves, both sizes of common first stage port plugs, spare wingnuts and washers for backplate bolts on doubles, an SPG on a 6" hose with spool and installed O-rings, spare LP inflator, 2nd stage and HP hoses, spare wing hoses (both the sizes I have complete with inflator and gaskets), and other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. I also bring at least one spare regulator.

About 60% of the time I'm on a boat, someone needs something out of that box, and it's almost always a gift. (Collect money for an O-ring that cost 75 cents? Nah.). About 2% of the time, that person is me. I maintain my stuff, but like the bumper sticker says, "doo-doo occurs."

Spare O rings and spare mask may be the most important items. I've needed O rings a time or two and think I've used the spare mask about 4 times in 12 years as well as lending it to a buddy once. Sometimes the strap just breaks from age and sometimes the clips holding the strap to the mask pop apart--I have several of those clips as well as once or twice the clip broke and part of it was unfindable.

Good stuff listed so far; the only thing I'll add is the hp spool with o-rings installed for your SPG. Put it in a small zip lock with whatever grease you fancy. You don't want to be fiddling around on a rocking boat having to replace the o-rings.

Back
Top Bottom