Save our Jewfish, aka Goliath Grouper news...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arent the permits for juvenile fish only?
Yes, those that will grow up and become spawners.

There is a relatively well-known GG in Boynton Beach that regularly hangs out at the Castor wreck named Wilbur. Ten years ago, he was short enough to be measured with a tape measure, less than an arm span. Now he is a very big guy. I last saw him twice during my visit to Boynton Beach in September
The sad part is that he had a large weight hanging out of his lower gill plate. Seems like he could just not stand a tempting bait.

The aggregation numbers seem to have peaked 2014-2017, I hope that is not true.

Hyperbole thread. Here's some reality.

On a recent NOAA survey shared to me from a charter captain, they actually got in the water to do a count of Goliath Grouper on a wreck. which is a start. But, I **** you not they only counted the side with 8 and ignored the 20 on the others side of the wreck. When asked why by the Captain of the chartered vessel, "We don't count the other side because they could move from side to side. Plus we want to make sure they will always be protected."

The fact the NOAA just announced the closure of the already shortened Gulf gag season when there's simply no possible way the rec TAC was met given Hurricane Idalia and the following week of thunderstorms and all of the boats that were pulled, or had damaged lifts and docks tells you all you need to know about the NOAA and the NMFS.

They've continuously lied about red snapper, red grouper and they claim there's hardly any Goliath grouper in the Gulf, when there's more biomass there than anywhere in Florida, but the Gulf ain't a touristy dive so most don't know.

Most of us believe in solid, sustainable fisheries management, they don't. Consequently, most people I talk to don't even care the rich men north of Richmond exist anymore. Well done.

On a recent NOAA survey shared to me from a charter captain, they actually got in the water to do a count of Goliath Grouper on a wreck. which is a start. But, I **** you not they only counted the side with 8 and ignored the 20 on the others side of the wreck. When asked why by the Captain of the chartered vessel, "We don't count the other side because they could move from side to side. Plus we want to make sure they will always be protected."

The fact the NOAA just announced the closure of the already shortened Gulf gag season when there's simply no possible way the rec TAC was met given Hurricane Idalia and the following week of thunderstorms and all of the boats that were pulled, or had damaged lifts and docks tells you all you need to know about the NOAA and the NMFS.

They've continuously lied about red snapper, red grouper and they claim there's hardly any Goliath grouper in the Gulf, when there's more biomass there than anywhere in Florida, but the Gulf ain't a touristy dive so most don't know.

Most of us believe in solid, sustainable fisheries management, they don't. Consequently, most people I talk to don't even care the rich men north of Richmond exist anymore. Well done.
Your conditions in the gulf may be different, do you have any objective data?

I get it. You don't like anybody telling you what you can or cannot do. Grow up.

My attached graphic of the data supports the decline as collected by FIU. The following story featuring Mote Marine Laboratory is very good. I have also volunteered with them on Goliath research for many years. Here is the story:

Huge groupers, the joy of Florida divers, are now 'vulnerable'

attachment.php

My attached graphic of the data supports the decline as collected by FIU. The following story featuring Mote Marine Laboratory is very good. I have also volunteered with them on Goliath research for many years. Here is the story:

attachment.php
Is it possible they moved elsewhere?

Your conditions in the gulf may be different, do you have any objective data?;

attachment.php
As they say, Garbage in -- Garbage out! I have spent the better part of the last two months in the keys. I can tell you first hand it is virtually impossible bringing in a fish off a wreck without a GG taking the catch. As a side note, those that think sharks are endangered should go to the Tortugas. Rest assured if you are targeting grouper and snapper, the 'tax man' will take a 50% cut.

If a Florida resident would like to get a permit and not use it, I'll chip in $50 of the $150 needed. Anyone else want to help?
Bump

Your conditions in the gulf may be different, do you have any objective data?
The Gulf habitat is 100x the size of the skinny South Florida Reef track thanks to the huge shelf. Any day of the week, any time of the year, and just about anywhere on the Gulf Coast I could take you and put a diver on Goliath Grouper. I could put you on 1 on a reef ledge or 20 on a wreck. Take your pick.

flabathy3.jpg

Objective data is important. And that is my point. What the NOAA says is not objective. Mote Marine's latest report is not objective. These people may have marine biology degrees, but they either were taught common core math or they intentionally manipulate data to support their feelings. My data is just as good, if not better than there's, because I can count and we're not diving like they do. On a 4 man one day trip we will dive 24 different sites. You think they're doing that?

Now, I will be the first to say that I don't want open season on jewfish. However, I'm okay with tags at select sites. My money was spent on artificial fishing reefs and when the only species that exists on those sites are jewfish, that is not the intent of the projects.

Pete's nonsense about the current harvest system is illogical. That juvenile slot size fish is found in really skinny water and would be next to impossible to intentionally target. No one is buying those permits and if they do, and actually managed to catch one in the slot, the fish goes to FWC for research. Species are harvested all the time for research. So whether the FWC catches them at cost or they throw an old beat up bone to someone dumb enough to buy a permit and generate some extra revenue for them, it makes no difference.

The irony of a scuba board member buying a permit to not fish it actually does a disservice because they won't have the fish to do research on.

I get it. You don't like anybody telling you what you can or cannot do. Grow up.
Thank you. You prove my point and sound like the same people who are manipulating the data to push their agenda based on feelings. The elitist, I'm in charge attitude is exactly what is observed on survey charters reported by captains.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom