Save our Jewfish, aka Goliath Grouper news...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That shows their ignorance. The word Jew is very commonly used in the Jewish community. Descendants of Judah. To say the word is “not in good taste” is antisemitic in and of itself.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

C'mon, guys. Make a little effort to stay OT, and out of each other's faces. If a cleanup ensues, it'll necessarily delete a bunch of good commentary along with the snark.

Take it up with AFS.

@tursiops Are you still offended for the Jews now?
If the Jewish divers don't care, that is surprising, but we've heard from just one.

I prefer Epinephelus itajara in any case, as it is unambiguous, unlike most common names.
Best to use the agreed common name -- Goliath Grouper -- to avoid confusion, unless there is some other point you are trying to make.

You see what I did there though? Lmao
I was chuckling as I responded, so yes. I was on the starboard bow of the Castor where it's folded down to find 6 of the chonks under it. One was the biggest I had ever seen. He gronked at one of the 600 pounders, which swam away and collided with me as I was trying to take their picture. OUCH! I retrieved my camera from the sand and since I was still hurting, I decided that the pic wasn't worth it and ascended along the port bow. Effin jewfish! :D :D :D

From my gallery here. Uploaded in 04 but likely happened before that. A medium goliath tried to play tug of way with this mutton snapper.
I had foolishly clipped my stringer to me for a swim to the next pocket of fish. Drydock off Jax in 130ish, one of the most amazing dives, a veritable aquarium.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231005-213241_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005-213241_Samsung Internet.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 34
From my gallery here. Uploaded in 04 but likely happened before that. A medium goliath tried to play tug of way with this mutton snapper.
I had foolishly clipped my stringer to me for a swim to the next pocket of fish. Drydock off Jax in 130ish, one of the most amazing dives, a veritable aquarium.
I've yet to have one grab my fish, but have caught a few in my peripheral that you could tell they were about to pounce. I use plastic bolt snaps for my stringer clip now to avoid the unintended jewfish drag. Also they are silent compared to metal on metal.

I usually will just carry my stringer once I have fish on it, but I figure if I forget and something does grab it, I'd rather it break away and then go wrestle my fish back vs. being dragged around.

I'll likely find some today on a ledge and try to remember to get some video.

Not this one. In no version of the orgin of the name jewfish does the name signify anything derogatory or antisemitic. At least none that I’m aware of. There are bigger fish to fry when snuffing out antisemitism.
You know the native Americans are really unhappy right now about the Redskins name being canceled. The same can be said of Aunt Jemima's family.

It's usually someone of unrelated faith, color or association that's offended and nobody thinks to ask the actual people that should have the say.

Whether it was jewel fish or they are kosher, it's sometimes hard to change the name of something that's been around for decades and easier to type (before auto-correct). No worries though, us Gen X and boomers will die off eventually and then the millennials and Zees can complain that goliath is "fat shaming" a fish.

You know the native Americans are really unhappy right now about the Redskins name being canceled.
FSU has to continually remind everyone that the Seminoles love them using that name. I'm not a big fan of the Noles, since there's nuthin' greater than a Gator, but I respect their relationship.

When it comes to what's truly offensive, ask someone from that minority. They might surprise you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom