Save our wrecks!

s it ok for divers to take memorabilia off wrecks?

• Sure, it doesn't bother me!

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • As long as it's not a war grave I dont mind

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • not sure

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • NO! It's selfish and ruins dive sites for everyone else

Votes: 30 56.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DORSETBOY

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
A lot of the wrecks around the uk (like elsewhere Im sure) are being ruined by the mindless vandals who go down to the wreck and proceed to tear of parts of the wreck to take home with them. Do you think it's a fair cop for people to take memorabilia off the wreck?

If you find the wreck and you found champagne on board, fine take it. However, stealing a bell or a wheel is just plain stupid. What would someone do with that stuff anyways?

I know of divers who keep bits of brass off wrecks for example in boxes at home.. seems pretty pointless to me and leaves a less interesting wreck after they've been there.

Hmmm, this is a tough call. I suppose I'd have to say that if you find the wreck, take what ever you want. (Obviously there are exceptions to this rule, if the boat/plane/sub sank last week, etc, etc...) If no one dives on it, again, have a souviner.

It really is a case by case basis.

Depends on who has rights to the wreck. Grave sites are off limits in my mind except to visit the outside. Natural shipwrecks that are unclaimed are open territory, but if there was value and the owners wanted it, they'd put a claim on it. Look at the Doria. It was deemed too expensive to commercial salvage, so the individual is left to take what he wants. Risk and reward in some minds. That being said, I doubt I'll ever pull something from a ship underwater. Gold fever is a good way to get killed. I'm just happy with being able to experience these wrecks.

Depends whether what you're taking really adds value to a wreck or is serving as a habitat for marine life. I know of one very rarely dived wreck which still has several tons of chinaware in the hold in boxes. Everybody that dives it brings back a set.

It would depend on the wreck and where it is. Grave wrecks are strictly off limits for "treasure hunting" in my book - ships lost in a storm, reef grounding, etc., is fair game. I have a thing for anchors, propellors (if applicable) and brass portholes - a bell is only really applicable for the identificaion of a larger vessel.

I wish people would not take ship structure - wheels, gauges, etc. If you find a plate or something like that - go for it. I wish I could see the original structure of a wreck when I dive it.

--Matt

I'd agree with this.

matt_unique:
I wish people would not take ship structure - wheels, gauges, etc. If you find a plate or something like that - go for it. I wish I could see the original structure of a wreck when I dive it.

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom