Save the Goliath Grouper!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

using the term "Jewfish" is generally considered offensive .
I doubt there ever was an opinion poll on the subject. Someone found it offensive and complained, and the name of the fish (but not of the river Jewfish Creek) was changed, most likely, simply because nobody wants to mess with the ADL. But I honestly do not understand what makes it "offensive".

PS: The article in Wiki states: The Atlantic goliath grouper or itajara (Epinephelus itajara), also known as the jewfish...

Except that as I noted and as Commissioner Sole noted in his questioning of FWRI staff, FWRI actually hasn't met any of their "alternative metrics" (see slides 10-14: https://myfwc.com/media/26546/7b-presentation-goliathgrouper.pdf) for recovery and I have yet to talk to a fisheries scientist who thinks reopening is a good idea.

If it were not for complaints about depredation or unfounded arguments that they're "imbalancing the ecosystem," this wouldn't be on the agenda - period. The vast majority of public comments in support of a reopening - at the meeting and in this thread - have harped on that argument. There is damned little talk of any commercial or recreational value to a reopening; I would treat the comments of Commissioners Barreto and Spottswood in the FWC press release with a fair bit of caution as they've been pushing this for years (Commissioner Barreto stated in the February meeting that he's been trying to get goliath grouper reopened for 15 years).

See my previous post, points A, B, and C.

I've lived in FL all my life, and have been diving in FL since 1986. Well before Goliath grouper were protected, when people were bang fishing then to sell for $0.40/lb. Seeing large specimens was rare. It's simply not any more. Every pile of rocks in the gulf now has at least one or two monsters. SFL nursery habitats are chock full of juveniles, and have been for years.

No. The FWC doesn't have the data to demonstrate whether the species is recovered or not. And they probably won't ever have the data because they don't have the money required to collect it. Efforts to continue to extend protections for goliath grouper will continue to be driven largely by the emotions of those who don't understand biology or fisheries population dynamics. OK, politics. But if 30+ years has not helped the species recover, we need to rethink the whole arrangement.

I remember when the alligator was opened for hunting. People said the same thing, with all the fear and emotion. That ended up working out OK, largely because gators aren't warm and fuzzy. I don't necessarily agree with the FWC stance on bears and the public has been more engaged with that, however they about the same. Bear data is much simpler to collect too....

I must have missed where this right was granted :(

Well. I think some people might find justification for the idea in the Bible. Other people might feel that humans should be able to take sustenance from the ocean (assuming it is on a sustainable manner).

If you feel that humans should only be allowed to eat plants and not eat any animals on land or in the water, then I think that attitude is a little extreme.

Is it a God-given right to feed your family or must the "right" be granted from other men via governmental action?

So, the name has been Goliath Grouper since 2001, get with it. I rarely see GG on the reef in Boynton Beach, when I do, it's very refreshing. There's one medium size GG that I have seen in the same place for about 9 months. As you know, they are territorial. I'm strongly against a harvest. If they want a harvest in the Gulf, all the more power to them.

Every pile of rocks in the gulf now has at least one or two monsters.
An exaggeration? I checked my logs and found that during my 7 wreck dives off PCB in July 2020 I've spotted 2 GGs on 1 dive, a single GG on 3 dives, and none on 3 dives.

Not sure if you are unaware or what…The name “Jewfish” is strongly believed to have an anti-Semitic origin. The non-inflammatory and common name is: Goliath Grouper.
There are lots of theories about how it got to be called "Jewfish" and antisemitism has nothing to do with any of them. In fact, renaming this badass fish after the Jew's worst enemy in the Old Testament is about as racially myopic as you can get. The new name offends me greatly and so I won't use it.

Point of fact, the Synagogue in the upper Keys sent out a petition to stop Florida from renaming Jewfish Creek. I know of no Jew who felt besmirched by the old name. What's next? Are we going to rename "Spanish Hogfish"? Moorish Idol?

There are lots of theories about how it got to be called "Jewfish" and antisemitism has nothing to do with any of them. In fact, renaming this badass fish after the Jew's worst enemy in the Old Testament is about as racially myopic as you can get. The new name offends me greatly and so I won't use it.

Point of fact, the Synagogue in the upper Keys sent out a petition to stop Florida from renaming Jewfish Creek. I know of no Jew who felt besmirched by the old name. What's next? Are we going to rename "Spanish Hogfish"? Moorish Idol?

whatever

Wow. You convinced me with your compelling argument.

Not interested in replying to rants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom