SB105 Diffuser

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveCT

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, well I somehow managed to lose the frosted plastic diffuser for my Nikonos SB105. Used the thing successfully for many, many years- including with the SB103 that was recalled and replaced by the SB105. My most recent dive trip, I tried to do without, but was not happy at all with my photo results - too many hotspots, etc. Now, I am totally frustrated trying to find a replacement. It seems totally crazy that I have rendered a workhorse multi-$$$ strobe useless by losing a $30 plastic disc. I have been searching EBay for weeks, also been trying BH's used store, all with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions, or possible ideas for diffusing my SB105? Thanks in advance for any help!

I have always used Tupperware or coffee lids. I prefer diffused strobe light ALL the time, so taping the lids to my strobe has been my attachment method. Make sure the air can get out / water can get in; a bubble in the diffuser will also cause spotty lighting.

I have always used Tupperware or coffee lids. I prefer diffused strobe light ALL the time, so taping the lids to my strobe has been my attachment method. Make sure the air can get out / water can get in; a bubble in the diffuser will also cause spotty lighting.

Good idea, thanks for the tip! Plus it doesn't cost anything :thumbs_up: I use rubber-banded swatches of plastic grocery bags over my spotting light, but hadn't thought of the coffee lid idea before. I've got inquiries into Southern Nikonos and Reef Photo, but I like the diy approach the best!

Thanks for the link. I was away for the last several days on a business trip, so I unfortunately missed this auction. In fact, my saved EBay search never triggered on it. But thanks to your link, I updated my search terms to return me better results in the future. In the meantime, I will be going with everyone's coffee lid suggestion. I did find out that Bob at Southern Nikonos in Houston has some diffusers left. If an item doesn't turn up on EBay in the next couple of weeks, I will probably go ahead and purchase from him.

This is your lucky day Dave , and I am your new best friend. I have one for $5+shipping . I have many other nikonos strobes and acces. that I will be posting on e/bay soon . You can e/mail me directly Blondeoake@aol.com. Pay pal works for me.

Thanks, but I already found a source. And if I lose my new diffuser, I will just revert to the coffee lid approach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom