SC/NC dive charter recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't forget Aquatic Safaris out of Wilmington, NC. Below I'd a video I shot on Tuesday of the stone tug wreck. Not super deep but plenty life to observe!

http://vimeo.com/67297208

Cheers,
Garth

Garth, can boats out of Wilmington get to the good wrecks? I'm not familiar with what Wilmington has to offer. I hear more about Morehead City than Wilmington, but maybe I should consider Wilmington. Is the diving just as good?

Garth, can boats out of Wilmington get to the good wrecks? I'm not familiar with what Wilmington has to offer. I hear more about Morehead City than Wilmington, but maybe I should consider Wilmington. Is the diving just as good?

They typically dive wrecks nearby. Rex like to hide the stones of the dredge wreck, the liberty ship, the cassimir, the normania and a few others. The are wrecks you can dive with open water cert.

The good wrecks? Haha well, that depends on what you want to see. I would consider a good wreck for open water diver being a wreck with a lot of marine life, swim throughs, not super deep, with some relief from current. The Hyde is great for that around July or August. Lots of sharks.

The good wrecks? Haha well, that depends on what you want to see. I would consider a good wreck for open water diver being a wreck with a lot of marine life, swim throughs, not super deep, with some relief from current. The Hyde is great for that around July or August. Lots of sharks.

I have no idea what I meant by "good wrecks"--I thought it might provoke some comments. I agree with your description, though.

http://vimeo.com/24146699

Above is another Hyde video. I put some music to it. It takes a minute to get started into real diving but hope you enjoy.

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2013 at 05:27 PM ----------

When I'm doing video I like to have a lot of animal and life in the video. If I'm diving for me I like to have an experience with the wreck or location. This would include a natural wreck.

Aquatic Safaris is a class act. I dive with them frequently. (over 90 dives)

Dove the Gill with them last week. We had 70 plus ft of viz and little current. Tanker sunk by German U-boat in WWII. Its maybe 90 ft to the bottom but most of the dive was around 85 ft. Great dive.

Dove the Rosin with them two weeks ago. Wreck sits in 115 ft of water but my max depth was 107. A really great wreck. Sunk by storm back around 1920 or so. Easy to navigate. Low current. Had around 60 ft of viz. Rosin has a great swim through called the cathedral. Bunch of steel beams like the roof of a church but with the roof missing.

Aquatics also dives a lot of the offshore ledges. This is the NC equivalent of a coral reef. The first of the big ledges is 23 mile which I dove last week. Bottom on one side at 90 ft and then drops to 105 or so. Lots of coral, fish life, etc. Depending on where you go most of dive around 95 ft.

There are wrecks all along the coast. Aquatics tends to visit the ones that are more southerly than the ones off Moorhead.

Aquatics also has a great cancelation policy. You can cancel up to 4 days before. If you want to go to a site just call and start a charter. They have two boats. The larger ASI and the smaller AS II.

Hyde if you stay on the deck or above is a 60ft dive. If you go down and hunt around it is 80 or so.

Markham in good viz is a good dive. Up on top you are at 40 ft.

Good thread, thanks, guys. Morehead City is a sleepy town, so a good dive op out of Wilmington would be appealing to me. For some reason I had been under the impression that the diving out of Morehead City was vastly better than Wilmington.

Good thread, thanks, guys. Morehead City is a sleepy town, so a good dive op out of Wilmington would be appealing to me. For some reason I had been under the impression that the diving out of Morehead City was vastly better than Wilmington.

Don't get blown out as much from what I hear...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom