Scallop diving job NW Scotland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

I'm interested. I have all my certifications, scuba unrestricted 40M, Inshore surface supply 30M, nitrox certification, etc, etc, you can look at a copy of all my certs on my website at Home Page.

Canada has very high CSA standards and is recognized throughtout the world as one of the best trained standards. I can send you a copy of our standards, which I am sure meet or surpass what is required to dive in scotland.

Please let me know if working for you is a possiblity.

Thank You

John Drummond
250-204-3670

I know this thread is old but do you guys still hire commercial scallop divers???

So to whom exactly are you ersatz scallop collectors addressing here? The OP has not logged on for more than two years. He posted all over the worldwide diving boards in a burst of energy and never posted again after that.
There is a viable scallop diving industry in Scotland, but like pretty much everything else up there, it is tightly regulated.
I don't know about working in Scotland since they don't seem to be part of the Commonwealth which would pretty much preclude any US citizens from working there, but I cannot imagine that they are too accommodating to non-Scottish workers in something that has the possibility of being semi-lucrative.
There is at least one commercial dive academy up there, and all their grads can't be getting rich saturation diving in the North Sea oil fields. Plus they have that HS&E certification that I'll just bet a stone of haggis that there's no exemptions from.
This guy sounds like he was trying to hire illegals under the table. Maybe not. Kinda funny though - American citizens being the illegals taking jobs away from the nationals.
Most of you would hate the diving anyway - it's cold, dark, repetitive, and you have to do it every work day even when you'd rather just lie in and die.

Spot on, Tom. Anyone doing this would have to have HSE part 4.

I'm intrigued by your comment "Scotland doesn't seem to be part of the Commonwealth". Which "commonwealth" do you have in mind?

I commercial scallop dive in the Gulf of Maine, If you think you dive in deeper, darker water than that, I think you are sadly mistaken. It can't be any colder or it would be ice, which we do dive around occasionally. We have to wear 7mm neoprene dry suits with AGA full face mask. I have had to use lights before also. I'm just looking to do a little diving somewhere else for a change of scenery.

I was looking at a list of the Commonwealth of Nations - I didn't see Scotland listed there, although I was surprised to see St. Lucia, Kiribati, Brunei, and Tonga are members.
So Scotland's still a part of the UK I guess the Riaghaltas na h-Alba is a devolved government. I never thought about it - I just figgered they were independent.
I did see that Nauru, although nominally a member, is in arrears. For a while, Nauru actually had the highest per capita income of any nation on the planet, but now they're heading rapidly down to being one of the poorest. That'll happen when you have a birdcrap-based economy every time. Air Nauru had a fleet of 747's, but now they're down to a couple of 737's.
I'm not sure whether Maine or Scotland has colder, darker water. That's an argument I'll leave to the Mainiacs and Scots.

I did scallop and lobster diving in mass usa and now looking for a job here ,if any one has any boat ,fishing jobs please contact me ,thanks David 07527251609

Hi,

I look for a diving job and I see your post.
I'm a french dive master and I've a work legal authorization without sponsorship.
This job interest me.
I live in Boston.

What I have to do?

Thanks,
Max.

Hi David,

Where did you work in Mass USA?
Can you give me informations?

Thanks,
Max.

hi there.
just returned from 2 years as a divemaster in palau. looking to get back into my dry suit for a change. ha ha. am interested in the scallop diving job you advertised. can you send me some more information on what is involved. i live in inverness by the way. so not too far from kyle.
have my dry suit, deep and nitrox certs too. hope to hear more from you soon.

paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom