SCAMMED - Reward

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We got scammed on a bogus credit card last month. We just got hit the other day with the charge.

A customer bought equipment, and we shipped it to the ship to address in Oregon. Our system let everything go thru properly (made it more strict now) the address in Oregon was a shipping drop point that then forwarded to the customer (we thought Oregon was the final destination). Well it was a stolen credit card and the culprit is in Indonesia. Jakarta to be more specific.

Well, it was over $500 in regulators. I will give $300 to anyone that can either get the regs back to me, or collect my money from this customer.

Although retailers are the ones paying the Credit Card companies(their profit comes from our sales) they do nothing to help us. If there is an issue, the card holder gets their money ASAP, and we get it pulled. Nothing to help or protect us.....

That's why I came here :D

Please PM me for more specifics or if you have ANY info that could help.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Although retailers are the ones paying the Credit Card companies(their profit comes from our sales) they do nothing to help us. If there is an issue, the card holder gets their money ASAP, and we get it pulled. Nothing to help or protect us.....

That's why I came here :D

Please PM me for more specifics or if you have ANY info that could help.

Not that it would help in this instance, but you should take a look at this:

Verified by Visa | Merchants | Visa USA

If it's fraud, the bank eats it, not you.

Terry

What's the funny part?

Have you ever been charged back for fraud on a verified transaction?

Terry

yes, and every retailer I know has.

Sorry Mike,

It's gone, Never to be seen again. Visa, MC, AMEX all will tell you as a merchant that without the physical card in your hand you have ZERO recourse .

I use Neotrace for tracking ISPs for anything out of the country. If it smells bad I won't deal with it. I won't ship to Indonesia, parts of Africa, parts of eastern block europe, parts of india, parts of singapore, and russia.

We got burned a few years back on a pile of analyzers going to a commercial diving company in Singapore, (but went to Jakarta) I actually had a friend there go to the ship to address and found it to be a forwarding company, then he went to the ISP track we had and it was a big building filled with computers and people placing orders for stuff all over the world. The front lobby had a little oriental woman sitting at a desk with two armed guards with machine guns, and video cameras all over.

$500 .... walk away and don't look back.

Sorry

JDS

Let's see........JUST in the past 60 days.....

$1008.23....Verified by VISA Cause: FRAUD Shipped to Australia. This sale was PCI validated (billing address, CVV2, zip, the works), shipping location verified by Google maps, talked to this customer on the phone THREE times. Money was ZAPPED out of my account.

$546.10.........Mastercard Cause: FRAUD Shipped to a Miami address. This sale was PCI validated and I PHONED the number listed. Spoke to customer and actually had a rather long chat. Money was ZAPPED out of my account.

$783.00........American Express Cause: Customer didn't order product. On this one, it was PCI validated and shipped to the billing address on the card. Customer claims they didn't order the product. AFTER the money was ZAPPED from my account, I spoke with the customer. They said they didn't order the product, had canceled the credit card due to fraud, and "if they could find the package when they returned home after vacation", they would send it back. Keep in mind, BY LAW, they aren't required to send it back.

Several other smaller ones. All for the same reason....customer claims fraud.

FRAUD ONCE CLAIMED on a credit card transaction is an absolute loss to the merchant. It doesn't even matter if you have UPS delivery records. If they say they didn't order the merchandise, they don't even have a legal obligation to return the product!

What a sad state of affairs. One day in the future, merchants are going to start refusing to fill online orders unless credit card companies offer some REAL protection. At the demand of VISA/Mastercard, we implemented full PCI compliance for our website. After all of this expense, credit card losses to fraud are HIGHER!

Sorry Mike. I am SHOCKED this is your first one. Hunker down. There are MANY MORE coming during this Christmas shopping season.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

yes, and every retailer I know has.

This is different than a simple authorization. "Verified by Visa" sends the user to the visa website where they are asked a secret question (or password, I forget which) to validate their identity.

It's pretty much impossible for a stolen credit card number to be used with this system.

Terry

Not the first one, but we don't get hit often. Just figured I would throw this out there in case anyone in Indonesia wanted to help :)

It really is sad that they do NOTHING for the merchant. First time we got hit was 3 years ago on a pair of fins....have only been hit one other time besides this one.

Thanks guys!

Mike

Let's see........JUST in the past 60 days.....

$1008.23....Verified by VISA Cause: FRAUD Shipped to Australia. This sale was PCI validated (billing address, CVV2, zip, the works), shipping location verified by Google maps, talked to this customer on the phone THREE times. Money was ZAPPED out of my account.

So what good is getting an "authorization" when they can just say "oops! sorry!" and take the money back?

Sounds like a great opportunity for a class action suit.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom