Scared

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kishore

Reaction score
I am a little scared. Went through the classes fine. Instructor says I am doing a good job. Next weekend, going to Marineland and Blue grotto for OW dives. I guess I am scared about equipment malfunctions and such. How often does this happen? Does anybody have any experience dealing with this? This weekend, our instructor was showing us the emergency ascent and when he turned off my air, I panicked. Even though I did the ascent correctly, I am a little shaken up about it. What do you think?

Originally posted by kishore
I am a little scared. Went through the classes fine. Instructor says I am doing a good job. Next weekend, going to Marineland and Blue grotto for OW dives. I guess I am scared about equipment malfunctions and such. How often does this happen? Does anybody have any experience dealing with this? This weekend, our instructor was showing us the emergency ascent and when he turned off my air, I panicked. Even though I did the ascent correctly, I am a little shaken up about it. What do you think?
Everyone is a little scared. That is what the training is for. You are being taught skills that will allow you to control your fear and that will give you the confidence to solve, rather than run from, any problem that arises. Equipment malfunctions are rare but do happen. You are being taught a few simple solutions (emegency controled ascents, air sharing, etc.) that, when correctly applied, will get you out of danger. If you panicked and still maintained the control to do the skill correctly, I think that you are doing very well. Very soon now, you will realize that as long as you have the regulator in place that you have the time and skill to solve any problem that comes along. You will also discover that if the regulator quits you know how to deal with that too. So... whats there to worry about? Watch your air, stay within your limits, never hold your breath, continue to practice and learn new skills and stay close and in communication with your buddy. That's about it. See you already knew all those things! Your doing great. (Truth be known, the instructor probably turned your air right back on anyway. :) )

kishore

Don't worry - a little trepidation and apprehension is normal. After all you've been asked to do some things in the exercises which seem to go against any commonsense like remove your second stage from your mouth underwater!

If you have confidence in your instructor and the dive shop you're using for training you will not have a problem. Equipment malfunctions are rare and your instructor has been trained to deal with situations like that. Enjoy your OW dives and have fun.

Best of luck

Kishore -

Don't worry. I was extremely scared when I began this whole new life as well. In fact, I almost refused to descend on my first dive. But because I had 100% faith in my instructor, I did, and I am very happy I overcame that fear. But you must be able to trust your instructor. For me, that was the deciding factor. Had I not had the instructor I had, I believe I would not have continued diving.

With that said, have faith in your training and yourself as well. My hinderance is that I don't know my abilities right now due to other circumstances. So I am learning those as well. But I am cautious, as I hope most new divers are. Your fear is warranted, but easy to overcome if you want it bad enough.

Thanks for the reassurances! BTW, we have a "great" instructor. He is really patient and knows what he is doing. He keeps checking on us constantly and makes sure that we are OK.

I know the feeling you had - the night before my first OW dive, I couldn't sleep at all I was so worried. We went out to the lake and I was really, really nervous the first time. We went down and I was breathing like a madman, jerking around everytime I saw or felt something...it was nuts!

After awhile though...the equipment feels natural. You gain trust in it. You keep people close to you underwater for safety, or, you use equipment that is in and of itself redundant enough that you can dive solo and still be safe.

Start by diving shallow...it's psychological, but you know the surface is nearby and you know that if anything bad happens you can come up quick. You build on the confidence gained in the shallower dives, and you use that on more challenging dives.

I always wondered what would happen in an emergency...would I freak out, would I be able to handle it...about a month and half ago I had my 2nd stage free flow on me at 90ffw. Scared the hell out of me for a second...then, I just grabbed the reg, stuck it in my mouth and signalled to my friend that I was going up. He went up with me and I went up the whole way, bubbles flowing like mad. I even managed to make a safety stop with it flowing =)

That's why you keep you first dives easy - shallow, clear water, sunny and warm. Go easy on yourself, there is plenty of time to do freezing cold, deep, wreck or night dives. It's all the fun of this - learning as you go.

And good luck - you'll love it!

Hi Kishore!

Fear is not a bad thing as long as it doesn't cross over to total panic, and I say this out of personal experience, having panicked on what was supposed to be my very first certification dive.

I felt fine until I got into the water.

I seriously think that if you keep it at bay, while at the same time recognizing it as it is, something quite normal under circumstances, you'll be certified before you even realize it!

Keep us posted!

I was a real scaredy cat - even with some of my pool sessions (mask clearing was not my favorite). My past posts can prove that. I was really nervous about my open water dives so I went and got several extra pool sessions where I practiced and practiced my skills.
I still was nervous before my OW dives but I kept visualizing me performing the skills well (someone on the board suggested that!). I wandered around make-believing I was removing and clearing my mask. I had trouble sleeping the night before, no way could I eat, but.... I kept thinking I have practiced this and I will do it. It was super cold at 30' but I made it and got certified. I kept wondering what these people on the boards were talking about - having pleasant dreams about diving when I was afraid of nightmares about it.
But I kept practicing and going to the quarry. Then, I took a trip to Cozumel for 10 days and saw so much, so many animals, learned and improved, and it clicked. I still am cautious and I think that will make me a better diver instead of reckless. I still get scared- I am not excited about the night diving thing. But... this sport is amazing and it is addictive.
Diana

In our leadership manual, a type of student is described who generates "freak-out" energy (my words, not the book's) to make sure that the leaders stay close by; the real fear is abandonment, being left alone in a scary time. Have you countered this fear by talking discreetly to the Assistant Instructor? He/she can provide extra support & supervision without shaming you in front of the whole class. If you need to have company for security, don't be afraid to ask for it. Get a whole bunch of really good divers as pals who know that you are willing but shakey, & keep in the water after you graduate.

Very good point! It helps to dive with people you trust very, very well. I knew my instructor as a friend first - I always went to the diveshop to get my paintball tanks filled up, before I had started diving. During my first OW dives I always stayed neared him - it was like a security blanket of sorts during my first steps. And luckily, the guys and gals that I go diving with are very experienced...a couple are divemasters, most have done tons of diving. I trust them implicitly. It was always reassuring to me during the start of my diving "career" to be near them. And diving with people that are very good at it will help you build your skill and confidence very quickly!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom