Scared

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Kashore (again)

I am scared too. It's all so new. But I trust Matt and the dive shop. I think that we are getting a good lesson. Also if you don't feel comfortable about the stuff, talk to Matt. I am sure he would help. Plus we are both going to do great on our OW dives and we are going to be wonderful safe divers who have lots of fun.

Jessica

P.S. If you haven't guessed Kashore is in my OW class.

I was very nervous during my OW course. All the way through, I was telling myself (and anyone else who would listen) that I just wanted to get my card so I could give up and never go diving again. Somehow I ended up carrying on. Now I really enjoy it... it just took me some time to get familiar with all the gear and get used to being underwater.

One thing that helped me was talking to one of my instructors about how nervous I was. When I put my fears into words, they didn't seem so serious or overwhelming and I always ended up feeling I could manage one more dive. I was lucky in that my instructor never pressured me to carry on... he always made me feel I could do it, but it wouldn't be a big deal if I decided not to.

Hope your dives go well,

Zept

I was nervous too. I just got certified on 7-12-02. We went to a quarry for my first OW dive.

Visibility sucked. I was nervous getting to the platform at 20 ft. Then I had to do a mask removal at 20ft, which I did fine in the pool, but got a little nervous and chocked up in the open water at deeper depths. After that, I wasn't to worried about anything else!

Had no problems with the equipment, other than with the assisted breathing skill...my buddies octo was hard to breathe through, and I had to not freak out.

Everything went fine. I even got to swim inside an old sunken rock crusher and up stairways (although I smashed my head on every doorway cause' I can't see with the darn mask...)

It was great. The little bluegills swam right up to my mask to check me out, and before I knew it, the fish had made me forget about all my worries. Relax....you'll love it before you know what hit you!

Will glad to find out that I am not the only one that is scared! I freaked out during the pool training and I have not went back .
I want to learn, but I don't like the part where I had to take my mouth piece out under water. ANY one got any ideals, I been reading some of the post here. My boyfriend dives and he wants me to learn to go with him. But I am so scared, and I was so much behind the other people in my training class, I was slow and I was holding them back, so I got out of the pool and left and I haven't went back. I am thinking if I get a private class and a woman trainer I might can do this. The male instructor I had was not patient with me, and I think that was one of my problems. What do you people think about a private class? think that might help me?

Kishore,
Something I found out through hindsight. If you have a good instructor whom you trust and they say you are doing fine you are. It took me a long time to gain faith in my skills even though my instructor continuously told me "your skills are good and your equipment is in good shape, trust them." I can show you in my log book where I STARTED to gain confidence in my abilities (dive #54).
One thing that decreases anxiety levels is human contact; hold hands with your buddy if you're feeling a little frightened. You'll probably be amazed at how much better you feel when you KNOW you're not the only one out there.
Monitor your pressure gauge regularly so you know EXACTLY how much air you have. Your instructor will probably ask you several times throughout the dive how much air you have. When we dive with students we are at the safety stop at 1,000psi but different instructors do things differently. You should be ON THE SURFACE with NO LESS than 500psi.
Gear malfunctions are not common and if you are vigilant about monitoring your pressure gauge neither is running out of air. You'll do fine and you'll probably have a good time. Remember, you have air so just relax and take your time doing the skills your instructor will ask you to do.
My motto is always try something new 3 times before you decide you don't like it. Why? The first time you do it you don't really know what to expect or what it will feel like so the first time can be extremely stressful, even terrifying. The second time you try it you have a better idea of what to expect, you've experienced the related sensations once before so they are nothing new. The third time you try it it's "old hat" you've been through it twice before, you know EXACTLY what to expect and what feelings the activity produces now is the time when you decide whether or not you like it. I bet if you get your instructor to do your emergency ascent exercise in the pool a couple more times you'll feel more comfortable with your ability to handle the situation.

Jan_rose
A private class with a patient instructor, male or female, will probably have you diving in no time. Your training will cover how to clear the water out of the regulator after it has been out of your mouth. It should also cover how to retrieve the regulator if you have dropped it. You will know you can replace the regulator without inhaling water and that you can recover the regulator then replace it if you drop it once your training is done. Don't let fear of having the regulator stop you from doing something you want to do. We all have parts of the training we didn't like, I hated breathing underwater without a mask on, took me a long time to get over my mental hang up about that. I still don't like to do it but I practice it regularly to make sure I can do it.

BEST OF LUCK TO BOTH OF YOU!
Ber :bunny:

Kishore, don't woooorrry. Not until something happens and then, you're trained, so you'll perform!
I sucked in a gallon of pool water on my first session while trying to do the stupid mask clear. Guess what, you CAN cough in your regulator! :) Besides being the worst performer in the class, I already feel this is going to be fun fun fun. You know it!

Question: You can dive at Marineland?? Sounds cool, I live by there!

The others have given you great advice. I am also just recently certified (6/30/02) and I can remember being anxious before my OW dives. Having an instructor that you trust really does make it so much easier.

Try to remember that even though being nervous is normal, always think positive when performing your skills. A lot of it is just mind over matter and if you keep thinking "I can't do this" then there's a good chance you won't. Don't psyche yourself out.

One piece of advice that my OW instructor gave us made most of my nervousness go away. He told us "It's not a race. Just take your time and perform your skills and do what you have to do. Take the time to do it right. You don't get extra points for doing a skill super fast!"

Because of how you feel now, when you complete your OW, it will be just the greatest feeling of accomplishment. You will KNOW you earned it! :approve:

Good luck and keep us posted.

Florida_boy,

yeah you can dive at marine land. You actually swim in the tanks... you become a side show attraction for the people going through. The instructors go there because it gives you a feel for the actual ocean and the animals you will encounter except it's in a completely controlled enviroment. there's currents and everything. We just know exactly where they will be so we can practice all the things you need to know about swiming into currents and things like that.

I can't wait.

Jessica

kishore

Had somewhat of the same problems except confined diving I was fine. When I started OW I had an extremely hard time opening the valve on my second stage. Had to abort my dive. I found that you can not pinch pennies when it comes to your 1st and 2nd stages. (stay away from Dacor). At first I thought it could be a little claustraphobia, But as we carried tanks home with us (with my dive buddy) I used one in my pool and just sat on the bottom and breathed with no problem. Then We went to a fresh water lagoon with about 1 foot visability at 25 feet and dove with no problem and that in itself gave me the most confidence as then I knew it was an equipment problem rather than a mental problem. I think my dive buddy who was already certified had more problems with a dark dive than I did. But it was a good experience for him as well because we had to hold hands constantly... He had a habit of wandering and not keep track of me but that has changed. The more you dive the more confidence you will gain. See You Under...Doug

JessicaDodge,

Where is Marine Land? It sounds cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom