Scariest Movie Ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh no doubt for me it was Jaws. Doesn't phase me a bit now, but at 13 yo I was afraid to walk home from the theater...in land-locked East Texas :) Thought Jaws might come up out of the ditch and get me. On second thought, as an adult, the scene where the Captain is telling about the plight of the USS Indianapolis is not only frightening, but was also a very well put together scene- great acting.

Growing up there were three movies that scared the crap out of me while I was in the back seat of my parents car at a drive-in theater:
The Crawling Eye (1958)(Those monsters took up residence in my closet)
The House on Haunted Hill (the 1959 original Vincent Price version)(Had nightmares for years)
The Crawling Hand (1963)(Expected to see that hand in my bedroom for about a decade after watching that movie)

Senior year in high school:
The Exorcist (1973)(Didn't earn any macho-points with my girlfriend on that date)

Sitting unsuspecting in a $1-night theater in Kingsville, TX not having any friggin' idea what's coming:
Halloween (1978)(I was expecting a comedy for some reason)
Alien (1979) (I just wanted to see a cool Sci-Fi movie. I can still remember jumping through the roof when the full-grown alien suddenly appears out of the darkness in a crawl space)

The year I got married and learned my new wife HATES scary movies:
The Shining (1980)(My wife still hates Jack Nicholson because of this movie. I had to drag her to "The Bucket List" because he was in it)

Alfred Hitchcock- The Birds

And I was in the hospital with a sick infant when The Exorcist 2 was the only movie on the hospital movie channel. I kept all the lights on, and chocked the door shut. I watched the ceiling all night for that old hag crawling around the ceiling.

Growing up there were three movies that scared the crap out of me while I was in the back seat of my parents car at a drive-in theater:
The Crawling Eye (1958)(Those monsters took up residence in my closet)
The House on Haunted Hill (the 1959 original Vincent Price version)(Had nightmares for years)
The Crawling Hand (1963)(Expected to see that hand in my bedroom for about a decade after watching that movie)

Senior year in high school:
The Exorcist (1973)(Didn't earn any macho-points with my girlfriend on that date)

Sitting unsuspecting in a $1-night theater in Kingsville, TX not having any friggin' idea what's coming:
Halloween (1978)(I was expecting a comedy for some reason)
Alien (1979) (I just wanted to see a cool Sci-Fi movie. I can still remember jumping through the roof when the full-grown alien suddenly appears out of the darkness in a crawl space)

The year I got married and learned my new wife HATES scary movies:
The Shining (1980)(My wife still hates Jack Nicholson because of this movie. I had to drag her to "The Bucket List" because he was in it)

The Shinning is a great movie! Jack Nicholson was at his best!

The original, "Children of the Damned". The Exocist definitely. I liked the old horror flicks. We had the Double Chiller Theater, with a guy named Doc Shock. That used to scare the crap out of me. I was like 8 or 9.

I think the newer flicks depend too much on special effects and not enough on plot. I rank Alien up at the top of newer flicks.

Never saw the movie, The Shining. But I can tell you that when I was reading the book, there was some really freaky stuff going on in the apartment I lived in....it scared the bejesus out of me!!! :letsparty: I was in my mid 20's.....:shocked2:

My vote would have to go to Exorcist.

Although it was more a gore movie than a scary movie, I still have nightmares about Cannibal Holocaust.

It is funny though, as a generalisation, as special effects have gotten better over the years, films seem to get less scary. Jaws had terrible special effects, but still kept generations of kids out of the water at the beach.

Anybody remember The Tingler? Another creepy one with Vincent Price.

Every year at Halloween time in the UK Channel 4 runs a special called the 100 scariest moments in film. It is the same 100 every year, but it is really nice tour of the great moments in horror films.

Back
Top Bottom