Scary DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

norcaldiver:
This is when the video camera comes in handy, I've been able to show people just how idiotic they are under water after they swear the didn't break the coral or stir up the bottom, etc.

you must be real popular on dive boats.
:eyebrow:

Well, a couple points come to mind.

Often our guests on our dive boats refer to me as the DM. Unless they have had specific reason to know otherwise they have no way of knowing my certification level. There are times, even when I am teaching, that I perform some common DM duties as a part of the boat crew. Perhaps this was some sort of an instructor/student situation, or it could have been a DM/certified diver (possibly as student) situation.

Isn't it most common to begin the dive into the current? That's the way I run dives unless we have specifically briefed a drift dive.

It sounds as if closer buddy contact would have been more desirable in this case, but I don't have enough information to form any opinion about other issues.

I dont know much about swimming against the current etc, but if i was the student i would of slapped that bloke! how dare he leave her behind, on my 2nd dive everyone let go of the 'leader' but i wouldnt let go cuz i was still a bit iffy about the whole diving thing. he tried to shake me of once, so i signalled i was in trouble, and when we went to the surface i told him i wanted to hold onto him cuz i was scared and not to shake me off! it was very rude but 10mins later i let go and we were all happy..i hate when i dont know much about things and i pay to learn then the teacher is bad, i wont accept it. i hope you encounter some better DM's in future! :)

Ok, to answer some questions that have come up:

-Swimming against the current at start of the dive being normal/right:
Thats usually the case but we were doing a drift dive (and from what I´ve seen the common practice in this part of Florida). We were given SMBs just so we wouldn´t have to fight the current and instead just hang on the line and enjoy the dive while the boat followed us...

-The DMs qualifications?
I don´t know...the captain referred to him simply as a DM, for all I know he was an instructor trainer (though propably not)

-Filming? (that was funny norcaldiver)
I actually thought about it as I was carrying a camera on the dive but decided to tell them to take a DIR-f class instead (just kidding!)

-Particular destination for the dive?
They were (the DM) was looking for lobsters so maybe the DM was trying to cover as much ground as possible (plans for a moonlight lobster dinner wth student?)

-Did anyone ask the guy after?
No, after a nice second dive without the DM/student where my buddy caught 3 lobsters and I managed to video nursesharks I was feeling to good to want to think about that first dive...

-Liability?
I have no idea, not being a US citizen, after having spent two hours in line going thru customs I´m willing to go pretty far to avoid any further contact with US authorities. From what I hear though (from US diver/lawyers) that waiver you sign isn´t worth anything in court if something happens. You just hear stories about people being sued for the most outrageous things in the US and so I´ll propably demand a signed waiver before I do anything to another diver there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom