Scary Wreck Tale - Ghastly 'Trust Me' diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Here's a little 'gem' of an article I discovered online... WW2 Wreck Diving in Coron - Golden Book Traveler

If anyone needs an illustration about why 'trust me' dives are a bad, bad idea... there it is :shakehead:

Once again I am the Divemaster in charge. However, after the fear of the unknown resolved itself... I am now in charge of leading 3 divers (1 Open Water, and 2 Advanced) 30 meters through a wreck I have done once in my life. Sink or swim time!... I have no idea how to navigate this wreck. I decide to enter the first hole I can find, penetrating the wreck with the hope of not only providing a great experience, but safely returning the remaining divers back to the boat....Fortunately this post is not my eulogy, but vindication that I survived the experience to tell the tale....Once I got over the fact that it’s ok to get lost, my mind focused on finding cool spaces to swim through...

8645175594_83d7c6b0a0.jpg
8645172598_b88f3b59a6.jpg

8645139300_1e87fbf8b6.jpg
8651422816_94aa35ceda.jpg

Dear lord ... recreational diving stupidity at it´s fullest.

If they had died I would not have felt sorry at all. Would have been a good thinning of the gene pool.

I’m as nervous as I’ve ever been on a dive. It brings back memories of my first Open Water experience in Lake Travis.

Really? Please don't tell me this guy is a swamper! :confused: Anyone know him?

This a perfect example on why we train to do wreck dives and gain experience so we dont tell stupid stories like this that will be ridiculed throughout the dive community, let alone brag about it!

If they had died I would not have felt sorry at all. Would have been a good thinning of the gene pool.

Jim,
That is pretty harsh! if stupidity was a capital offense, the world's population would be very small indeed. I suspect most of us have, at one time or the other, made a really dumb choice which could have had fatal consequences with only a minor change in events. Those that say "no I haven't" are lying.

"I went with a dive company called Coron Divers for all my diving expeditions. They were the cheapest I found and were extremely flexible on the dive sites..."

"I had never dove the next dive site, East Tangat. The dive master is done for the day. I am now the leader"

"Cathedral Cave is a truly special site and represents my second ever cavern penetration"

So, this guy selects the operator based on price. After paying to be a customer, takes over DM duties when the operator's DM bails?? Then they go cave diving... brilliant.

Jim,
That is pretty harsh! if stupidity was a capital offense, the world's population would be very small indeed. I suspect most of us have, at one time or the other, made a really dumb choice which could have had fatal consequences with only a minor change in events. Those that say "no I haven't" are lying.

I'm with Jim on this one. People can be as stupid as they want on their own. If you're solo and want to dig a hole under a wreck and climb in and die, it's dumb, but it's your right (someone actually did this).

When you start leading others on dives, being stupid is no longer an option.

I've done plenty of dumb things. A couple could have been fatal, however I wasn't leading anybody on a dive. In fact, they were all caused by a "professional" telling me it was OK. When I'm leading a dive, we're not going anywhere that the least-qualified group member can't easily handle and we're certainly not going inside anything unless everybody knows how to safely exit.

flots.

I think you're all being very harsh. Surely we've all taken completely unprepared and ill-equipped divers inside a wreck we don't know because we believe our DM cert enables us to do absolutely anything we like?

Oh, hang on, no. He's quite special, isn't he? At least - given what he think's he's 'learned' from his experience - he probably won't get the chance to taint the gene pool...

I've dived the wreck he identifies as the 'Olympia' a few times - plenty of ways to have it go horribly wrong in there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom