Scientific and/or academic diving opportunities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bpage08

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any knowledge in academic diving? Right now I'm attending a local college taking classes that will go towards some sort of engineering degree but I've planned on transferring to another university to get my degree. I've run across Florida State's academic diving program while searching online but haven't been able to gather much information online as to what degrees they offer but I plan on contacting one of their advisors soon. Right now I'm just looking for any information as to which universities offer some type of underwater engineering or any sort of academic diving program. What sort of job could I expect to get if I did get a underwater engineering degree?

Right now I'm just looking for what colleges have academic diving programs preferrably in the south-east and what jobs one could get with the degrees they offer.

Thanks for the help.

(I'm not sure if this is the right place for such a thread so if a mod could please move it if it belongs elsewhere.)

I'm on the west coast at UCSB and most of the academic diving we do is more biology than engineering. We do have a few engineers who dive and assist with the biology projects. One guy I know was working on the electrical components for light traps to attract and capture pelagic larvae in Tahiti. There's also a group here researching the methane seeps and bubbles, I think they have engineers involved in their research. http://www.bubbleology.com/

Also you might want to check on here once in a while, http://www.aaus.org/jobpost.cfm They sometimes have job postings.

Good luck,
Thomas

I moved your thread over to the oceanography forum.

Florida Keys Community College has an extensive diving curriculum, in fact its the biggest one I know about. You can get a "scuba" associate's degree; I'm hazy on the details.

AAUS (American Association of Underwater Scientists) is the lead group for most scientific diving programs in the United States. To be certified as an AAUS diver, you have to complete formal "scientific diver" training, which blows the pants off any recreational certification short of professional ratings. Several universities offer this class for academic credit; you'll have to inquire for the whole list of schools.

The majority of AAUS divers are field biologists like me. Not a whole lot of engineers, as there's nothing really for them to do ('cept volunteer to help the biologists!)

"Underwater engineering" in the literal sense does not involve engineers, but commercial divers. True marine engineers rarely poke their heads out of the office. Most of those engineering-type degrees come from the U.S. Naval and Coast Guard Academies, and the Merchant Marine Academies. Schools with strong ties to offshore resource extraction like Texas A&M offer degrees in ocean engineering.

Commercial diving is an entirely different sort of animal, but those are the folks that actually go underwater and build/demolish things. You'll need to attend a commercial diving tech school to become one of those dudes. They're TOUGH.

You should really be asking yourself the question, do you want to construct stuff underwater, or do you want to be a licensed marine engineer?

I don't want to make a living spending my days in a cubicle. I did that for about 6 months right after high-school and I don't think I could make a living that way.

What does your job involve, archman, and is a bachelors degree helpful in the field?

sb_diver: Have you interned with anyone and where do you hope to get a job after you graduate?

If it were just for me I'd probably just go to a commercial diving school but I don't want to throw away all the time I've spent taking college classes and all the money my parents have spent for them.

Is the job field for a field biologist, such as yourself archman, limited? How hard would it be to land a decent paying and stable job doing field work?

Sorry for the long-winded post but I'm still undecided as to what I want to pursue in my future.

Thanks again for the help.

bpage08:
What does your job involve, archman, and is a bachelors degree helpful in the field?

If it were just for me I'd probably just go to a commercial diving school but I don't want to throw away all the time I've spent taking college classes and all the money my parents have spent for them.

Is the job field for a field biologist, such as yourself archman, limited? How hard would it be to land a decent paying and stable job doing field work?

It's difficult to explain this properly, but the college education really isn't important for you to participate in most scientific diving programs. You'll be trained by your particular program according to their needs.
However, these are almost all volunteer-type positions. To make a CAREER out of scientific diving, that would necessitate establishing a research niche for yourself involving you being er... underwater. You'd need to become a coral reef ecologist for example, or a nautical archaeologist. There's a professor in my area that specializes in exploring subterrannean caves for new species of life.
Folks like this have PhD's usually, and have worked their butts off to rationalize to the grant-sponsoring organizations their need to "goof around" on scuba. They rarely have permanent staff that go diving with them either, but have graduate students.

Most field biologists don't scuba dive. There's little need to, and scuba is a lousy way to conduct experiments and perform observations. Myself, even though I'm a trained field biologist, my research does not require me to scuba dive. But I love teaching science to students, so I "ditch" university in the summertime and work at marine educational facilities where scuba is a prominent aspect of the curriculum. In essence, I've carved out a part-time "niche" for myself in scientific diving, but in a laborious, roundabout way.

Think of true "scientific divers" in the same light as paleontologists, or archaeologists. There's only a very few of them to be found worldwide, but the list of part-timers and volunteers is HUGE. All of those other people have regular jobs, usually bearing little/no relation to scuba diving. A lot of college kids and retirees make up the ranks.

So pursuing scientific diving as a direct career path really isn't a viable option. You pursue the science first, and then figure out the scuba later. You'll probably need a PhD and tenure at a university, or a government position at a field station.

Commercial diving and going pro in recreational diving are the only real career paths for scuba (i.e. those with specific programs to employ scuba divers), unless you want to join the military. A lot of these people have college degrees, but have simply decided to make a go at diving. Lots of people in the general job markets don't really use their college degrees much; many don't need to draw on it at all.

What many people who enjoy scuba do however, is simply secure a job that makes oodles of money (i.e. doctor, lawyer, ENGINEERS), and take lots of scuba-diving vacations. That's the BEST way to visit and dive exotic locales. Even the venerable Paul Humann started out this way; he was originally a lawyer with a fondness for diving. So I wouldn't rule out engineering if you think it'll keep you out of scuba. On the contrary, it may be the best thing for you! Who knows, maybe you'll become one of those guys that designs scuba equipment. Who better to "try out" that stuff, than the dude who designed them!

Hope some of this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom