Scientific Diving Program?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AAUS does not have instructors. I was the Diving Safety Officer of an institution that was an AAUS member as well as a founder of AAUS.

I stand corrected!

Though I would still suggest anyone with scientific diving questions ask you

I stand corrected!

Though I would still suggest anyone with scientific diving questions ask you
Thank you. I only make the point so not to misrepresent and to remind everyone that AAUS is NOT a certification agency ... if anyone ever tells you that they are a certified scientific diver or a certified AAUS research diver, you should ask them for their CMAS Scientific Diver Brevet or raise your B.S. flag.

fetch for the researches is the graduate students getting samples either for or with their professors. Anyone can take the class but the permits are only given to the ones that need it. Everyone else just takes it for the fun/experiences.
They advertise stroke classes because we require a 800yd circuit to be completed that is timed. The boss is very strict about swimming skills. First day is a required 200 freestyle and anywhere from 15-20 minutes continuous swim then underwater swim. Lots of people think they can dive and not have to swim well, he doesn't buy it.
I'll have to check to see what the actual requirements are, but I believe they do both NOAA and AAUS, will check that tomorrow

fetch for the researches is the graduate students getting samples either for or with their professors. Anyone can take the class but the permits are only given to the ones that need it. Everyone else just takes it for the fun/experiences.
They advertise stroke classes because we require a 800yd circuit to be completed that is timed. The boss is very strict about swimming skills. First day is a required 200 freestyle and anywhere from 15-20 minutes continuous swim then underwater swim. Lots of people think they can dive and not have to swim well, he doesn't buy it.
I'll have to check to see what the actual requirements are, but I believe they do both NOAA and AAUS, will check that tomorrow
With professor is good, for their own research supervised by professor is good, for the professor is so-so.

In order to be a research diver you need to show a need to dive under institutional auspices. Some schools are tight about this, others recognize the utility of having a pool of qualified buddy divers and thus qualify "every else" the same way.

Sounds like rather run-of-mill physical requirements, about the same as what we did. I think you need to be able to swim to, at least if you want to dive with me or on my watch.

oh, it's not bad at all. the 800 is UW25 375 swim, don MFS while treading, 25 UW kick, 375 surface kick, have 15 mins or something to do it. Not hard, but it's a helluva lot more than what everyone else is requiring... Unfortunately NAUI only requires like 5 "strokes" with forward motion. I've seen babies make 5 strokes with forward motion. That won't get you anywhere...

oh, it's not bad at all. the 800 is UW25 375 swim, don MFS while treading, 25 UW kick, 375 surface kick, have 15 mins or something to do it. Not hard, but it's a helluva lot more than what everyone else is requiring... Unfortunately NAUI only requires like 5 "strokes" with forward motion. I've seen babies make 5 strokes with forward motion. That won't get you anywhere...
Our's is (in full gear, including suit and weightbelt): six laps with a mask and weight belt doff and don at each pass in the deep end, don tank at shallow end, four laps on snorkel, four laps with surf mat. Must be done in 11 minutes to pass.

You miss the point of the NAUI swim standard. The point is not that anyone who can make it 5 strokes can get into the class, the point is that within 5 strokes an instructor should be able to tell who is a good swimmer and who is not. There is no prohibition against having students swim any distance that you might want them to, the requirement is that you observe five strokes at a minimum and you don't have to waste more time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom