Scientists say whales were bent!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...
adder70 once bubbled...

I believe the "blythe assertion" is the the sound pressure level in dB, is 160 dB at 160 km away.

Unless you have actual test results to show, your statement is, unfortunately, just an unsupported assumption.

As is yours.......

In fact, at the source the sound is up to 240 decibels, which is 100 million times more powerful than the 160 decibels at 160km cited in the article (similar to numbers that I've seen in other articles as well).

I understand your aversion to unsubstantiated assumtions and your reluctance to base an opinion on this article alone. It was sloppy and speculative. However I would urge you to read up on it. There are many reputable organisations documenting the problems with LFA, including NATO and the US Navy who have both reached the conclusion following various incidents of stranding that LFA was the culprit. In a case in the Bahamas what I understand is that they didn't even have the system turned up all the way and still some of the animals were bleeding from their eyes and ears, indications of not only acoustic trauma but also physical tissue damage. Other tests have shown behavioural changes in whales, including cases of sperm whales unable or unwilling to dive (and therefore eat) for days after an LFA blast. The body of evidence is large, growing and verified by both "sides". We don't have to worry too much about making unfounded assumptions about this any more.

R..

jiveturkey once bubbled...

I guess at this point they don't really know what's going on. They have to come up with something that's probable. Do you have any other ideas as to how this would happen?

As you said, because of evolutionary mechanisms, this isn't a natural occurance for whales (groups of whales at that). These bubbles in their systems aren't normal either or whales would have been gone long ago. There has to be something unnatural happening regardless of whether or not it's sonar "scaring" them to the surface.

There may NOT be something unnatural happening. As we know, whale strandings and whale deaths occur from natural causes on a somewhat regular basis. The point here is that we don't have enough information to know with any certainty what the cause is.

Knavey once bubbled...
This is the same old "theory" crap that has been going around since the stone age...

Throsh: "See little rock. Fits on end of stick. Stick animals with it and get food"

Natureluver: "Throsh bad. Kill all animals with rock stick."

Throsh: "You so unoriginal...its not rockstick...it called spear!"

Natureluver: "Spear? Spear bad...you kill all animals and none left!"

Throsh begins to think he should stick Natureluver instead of a deer with spear. About that time the sabertooth tiger happens along.

Who do you think lives to see the next meal? Will Natureluver survive the onslaught of a hungry tiger? Will the sabertooth tiger make a meal out of our outspoken activist AND our spear equipped inventor? Or will the saber tooth tiger AND Throsh go their separate ways...the saber tooth tiger with a full belly and Throsh with his spear to find something else to eat since cannibalism isn't his thing? Or will Throsh chase the tiger away, saving poor activist so that he can plant more trees?

We report...you decide.

ROFLMAO

All I could think of was the Stone Age scene in Mel Brooks' History of the World Part 1.

This would have fit nicely in that scene, along with the appropriate narration.

Diver0001 once bubbled...

As is yours.......

There are many reputable organisations documenting the problems with LFA, including NATO and the US Navy who have both reached the conclusion following various incidents of stranding that LFA was the culprit. In a case in the Bahamas what I understand is that they didn't even have the system turned up all the way and still some of the animals were bleeding from their eyes and ears, indications of not only acoustic trauma but also physical tissue damage.
R..

Diver0001,

What you forgot to say was that the only USN Low Frequency Active (LFA) equipped vessel was not only NOT TURNED UP ALL THE WAY - IT WASN'T EVEN IN THE ATLANTIC OCEAN. This stranding can not be attributed to the USN's LFA.

That said, there was a naval exercise going on when this stranding occurred and there were multiple surface vessels (destroyers, frigates, etc) transmitting medium/high frequency sonars in a constricted area which may well have contributed to the stranding.

Rickg

rickg once bubbled...

Diver0001,

What you forgot to say was that the only USN Low Frequency Active (LFA) equipped vessel was not only NOT TURNED UP ALL THE WAY - IT WASN'T EVEN IN THE ATLANTIC OCEAN. This stranding can not be attributed to the USN's LFA.

That said, there was a naval exercise going on when this stranding occurred and there were multiple surface vessels (destroyers, frigates, etc) transmitting medium/high frequency sonars in a constricted area which may well have contributed to the stranding.

Rickg

I stand corrected. I don't suppose it matters much to the whales which frequency it was that killed them. I suppose that only gives us evidence that the frequency isn't as much the problem as the volume.

I can understand a navy wanting this kind of technology but I can't help thinking that all the best minds in the world should be able to think of a way for listening for subs at long distance that doesn't hurt marine wildlife......

R..

Diver0001,

One often heard possible reason for what happenned in the Bahamas was that it was the location of the exercise that contributed to the beaching. Unfortunately ASW has moved from a deepwater problem to a littoral/coastal problem. The major Navy's of the world have been transmitting these MF/HF frequencies at these levels in mid-ocean/deep-water for years with no apparent problem.

Now the the major Navy's are trying to tackle the small, quiet diesel submarine operating in shallow water near to shore. Unfortunately, passive sonar (which for years was the sonar of choice for deep water ASW) is not very effective in shallow water for a multitude of reasons which is why there is a renewed interest in active sonar of all types. Hence the move to conducting ASW exercises in littoral/coastal waters. In this case during part of the exercise there were multiple surface vessels (destroyer, frigates, etc) conducting a transit in a confined/restricted area/channel between 2 islands. One thought is that multiple active sonar pulses were being transmitted simultaneously and also being reflected in many directions because of the shallow water and this may have caused the whales to be disorientated.

I know the US Navy has adopted some new procedures in an attempt to minimize the possibility of future occurences and is also continuing to research this issue.

Rickg

rickg once bubbled...

I know the US Navy has adopted some new procedures in an attempt to minimize the possibility of future occurences and is also continuing to research this issue.

Rickg

I'm glad to hear this.

R..

saying once bubbled...
Out of curiosity: are there physiological dangers for someone to freedive to 100 feet, exhale, and then take a breath from a reg sitting there waiting for them? That is, is there a risk in changing lung volume that quickly?

Freedivers are taught to never breathe compressed air during a freedive.

If a freediver starts breathing compressed air while at depth (however deep that meay be) they are suddenly no longer a freediver but are subject to the same NDLs and ascent rate as a scuba diver.

Moreover - I don't know for sure if this would be a factor or not - scuba divers are taught "Never ever hold your breath" which means that even in an OOA situation the scuba diver is exhaling (the "steady stream of tiny bubbles"). OTOH, the freediver has probably spent years training on holding his breath, especially during ascent.

Breathe compressed gas at depth and hold your breath on ascent is a guarantee of DCS. :shocked:

As I recall, many cetaceans EXHALE before doing deep descents. This takes care of a lot of the buoyancy, nitrogen loading and compression/recompression problems. Virtually all deep diving marine mammals go into a "oblique glide" as they descend, that expends no energy.

Comparing human freedivers to marine mamals in physiological terms is often not as clear cut as it may seem.

Back
Top Bottom