Scooter of your choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AquaTec once bubbled...
Hey Roakey can i ask a question. presuming that you do a lot of scootering in caves.
No I don't, I'm a weenie caver.

I've used Teknas and though I gotta admit they were fun, having the choice of hoisting yourself up on top (and doing isometrics throughout the dive) or having the prop wash hitting you seemed, shall we say, counterproductive.

The tow-behind solution was the typical forehead-slapping solution to the problem that DIR is famous for.

To whoever got upset that I called the SS a copy: It is. Since I don't have direct experience with both, I went no futher than that statement.

Roak

Hi

Did I $$%% in some ones cornflakes?. I didn't mean to sound as if I was ticked at all you guys just that one fella who had to put his two cents in the wrong way. Farallon has been around for more years than any other scooter maker and I trust there ability to produce an efficent scooter. They use intricate mother boards with variable speed controls with more advanced electronic circut board reed relays. They don't use window switches to cut corners like the Gavin. They use a gear ratio sprocket to give you more tork with out wear on the motor. All in all I like the Farallon, but only love the look of the Gavin and Emmersion.

Thanks for your help

Master Chief

AQUATEC,
Here is the link you were looking for. Dont be alarmed by the man in the speedo's. http://www.gavinscooters.com/

Here's another link that will help you find stuff on the internet. Works really well. http://www.google.com/

tHANKS FOR THE LINKS DUDE

Farallon USA, the recognized leader in Diver Propulsion Technology, is introducing two new models for 2003. The Mk2-X and the Mk2-XE are both tow-behind DPVs, similar to the earliest models produced by the company in the 1970s.

"We're responding to a market demand," said Farallon president Tom Deardorff. "Although our ride-on models, the Mk7, the Mk7-E and the Mk8 have been extremely popular over the last six years, there are a lot of divers who want a dependable, reasonably priced tow-behind vehicle with technical capabilities.

The Mk2-X was designed by Darren Tedder, Farallon's Director of Product Development."We're very fortunate to have Darren on our team," said Deardorff. "He probably knows more about DPVs, and Farallons in particular, than anyone else in the world."

The Mk2-X, a single-speed vehicle, and the Mk2-XE, with a variable pitch clutched prop, are based on the design of the Mk II and Mk III which were produced in the 1970's and 1980's. The body of the new model is made of aircraft-type aluminum. The units are wet pressure tested at the factory to a depth of 400 feet of sea water.

"It's a bit like Volkswagen did when they introduced the 'New Beetle'," Deardorff said. "It's got a retro look about it, but the technology is 21st century."

The Mk2-X is the ideal DPV for dive operators, liveaboards, and resorts to put into rental. It's easy to learn, gives the diver a real sense of excitement and adventure and is reasonably priced.

"By building the Mk2-X out of aluminum, we've stuck with our policy of making very robust machines that can withstand a lot of wear and tear. Yet, the unit is lightweight and easy to handle out of the water. It's neutral in salt water," said Deardorff.

Both the Mk2-X and the Mk2-XE are capable of speeds up to 2.7 mph (4.4 Km/hr). The typical burn time is one hour. The Mk2-XE can achieve an even longer burn time through easily-made adjustments to the variable pitch prop. Both units operate on a 24V battery pack and come with a fast charger which will recharge the pack in less than four hours.
News bulletin from Farallon

Tedder, who is an experienced cave and technical diver, has been a Farallon user for more than twenty years. He has restored several of the older Farallon models and has hundreds of hours of diving on them. "I like the ride-on DPVs for a lot of the diving I do," he said. "But there are certain kinds of dives where a tow-behind just suits my purposes better.

Many of my friends in the technical and cave diving community have said the same. After doing some market research, we discovered that there was an unmet need for a really robust, moderately priced, lightweight tow-behind. That was the driving factor in designing this new DPV. In the 70's and 80's the Farallon tow-behinds were considered the best, so we started with that basic design and brought it current in terms of the technology."

Farallon USA will introduce the new models at the DEMA fall show in late October in Las Vegas and begin shipping in January of 2003. The Farallon brand has been well regarded in the dive industry for more than thirty years. The company, based in metropolitan Atlanta, Georgia, supplies DPVs to recreational, military, commercial, and technical divers around the world.

Master Chief

That’s nice. You can copy a marketing brochure.

It doesn’t matter if you love or hate Irvine, the WKPP or GUE, they’re doing the most challenging technical dives out there. And they use Gavins. They want distance and don’t give a hoot about what equipment they use (unlike sponsored divers) as long as it gets them further and faster. If they could go 10 feet further on a Farallon, they’d use one. And they don’t.

The fact that you consider “intricate mother boards” and “advanced electronic circuit board reed relays” features, and discount simple robust switches tells me that you’re seduced by the technology.

I’m a gadget freak too, but when it comes to more challenging dive environments, I had to grit my teeth and admit to myself that simple is better, and simple is what a Gavin is. They didn’t cut corners, they built the thing to tow divers 20k into a cave and back out again. Water and electricity don’t mix well, and submerging “intricate mother boards” has to be one of the more foolish ideas I’ve heard of lately.

Engage your brain, look to see what the REAL explorers are using, not some guy employed by Farallon (Tedder). Base you decision on what’ll get you there and back, not what looks and sounds like it’d be cool to own.

Roak

Bloody good point Roak.

What I want to know is what is the "motherboard" for.

Variable speed? Why do you want to add another useless function that can go wrong.

I could also go into the effects of SCR chopped DC (variable speed) and what it does to organic compounds such as enamel magnet wire that is used in the DC motor windings......But I wont bore you.

Basically, it shortens the life of the motor, good for me as a magnet wire maker......Bad for divers :(

Dave

Maybe you want to look at a grownup Farallon.They're called Aqua Zepps hand made in Germany. Better than farallons look almost alike. Naw you're already a Farallon owner in disguise:)

roakey once bubbled...
The only dissenting opinion, AquaTec, has referred to a Gavin copy (I’m assuming you meant “Silent Submersion”):
Roak

Roak
why do you say this is a copy

if it is a copy is it DIR.

after doing very little research I am torn between a Gavin and a Silent Sumersion

the others are not providing for my needs

Hi

Both the Gavin and Emmersion type DPV veicles are MAKO ideas taken disembowled than thrown out into the market again but marketed as some one elses innovation. The Gavin and Emmersion have circuit boards as well, there is an amp regulator relay and motor voltage regulator found in both to control the power to the Cheap security window reed switch and for motor power regulation, so if it floods it stops and its just hidden in a little black box. I guess I could reinvent the wheel to if i just went around and stole every one elses ideas and came out with a new type of michelin. I just can,t get into a DPV thats PVC welded togethor, but still I like the look. I once had a Aquazepp it was a great scooter but they have gone the way doedoe bird.

Master Chief

New Farallon photo attached

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom