Scooter recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well i started this topic just to ask about some models. I , for example, i will use the scooter to get to some dive sites.
1. I don't have a boat
2. I don't want a boat right now.
3. The dive sites are about 1 km from the shore.
I have a lot of dive sites like these and i can't get to them by swimming with all my gear with me. So yeah, it's usefull in some situations . I don't care if i look BEAUTIFULL with it. I just want the job done.

A km is a long way. I have sites that are 1/2km from shore and I'm reluctant to do them with my scooter. We used to do longer dives in Banff but that required pretty beefy scooters for the time (gavins with magnum hull or the X-Scooter echo with the long hull and extra batteries).

One important question is this: is it possible to swim the entire 1km home from the site if your scooter dies? If yes, buy one that's good for the 2km total journey. If not, you need a backup scooter as well. Double the cost. Some may say you can count on your buddy to bring you home on their scooter, but don't. Have at least one spare in that case.

Otherwise, you are looking at something that should have 2km plus reserve in it's range. If you use rule of thirds, you need a 6km scooter. If you can swim part way, then maybe rule of halves and a 4km scooter. Either way, that's a serious scooter range.

Sunnyboy, yes, i can swim back to the shore if the scooter dies. I've thought of that also. That was my first concern.

1km isn't that far... I mean, it's a long distance don't get me wrong, but it's not abnormal for cave divers to be kicking that far in one direction then have to turn around and come back. Certainly not something I'd carry a backup dpv for, whether in a cave penetrating to that distance or in open water. It's also not that far of a range for most DPV's.

@adrianhuma if your distance is that long, I would highly recommend that the DPV you get have at least a 3km range when on high speed, not on cruise. If you have to keep it on the cruise setting, it will take you close to half an hour to scooter out to the dive site, which you may not want to do

@tbone1004 indeed that will be the issue, but the 1 km site is the farest...I have a lot of them closer. I've settled for a Suex xjoy 7 ( that was my budget ) . Next week i will receive it and test it.

Yes of course...

Thanks a lot Michael !
I just received my Suex and im super excited about it. I have a question for those who already have a scooter. How does the scooter react in fresh water ? Buoyancy related...
Thanks

Thanks a lot Michael !
I just received my Suex and im super excited about it. I have a question for those who already have a scooter. How does the scooter react in fresh water ? Buoyancy related...
Thanks

inside should be some lead plates that have to be removed for fresh water. should be in the manual describing how to swap it between fresh and salt water

Unfortunetly there isn't anything into the manual. Suex is kind of poor in manual material ( the only bad thing found untill now )
This is the inside of the scooter. I can't see any weights, except that small cilinder that you can see from picture 3. That weights 500 g at most.
Do i have to take that foam out ? I had multiple pieces of foam inside the scooter, below the batteries.

suex1.JPG

suex2.JPG

suex3.JPG

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom