Scooter recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But hey - if you want to cruise back 20,000 feet plus into a cave with a monofin and no scooter, more power to you. At least we won't be engaging in any more of these meaningless discussions if that is your dive plan...
Why do you keep bringing up the monofin? There is a picture of one on my avatar, but you are the only one talking about it here.

BTW, the DeepWorker mini submersible is designed to operate in open water. It operates in the same environment and will have similar mobility requirements as a diver. Not that it is known for being fast or efficient, but even DeepWorker is a 3 knot machine. If 2 knots is BS, why would this machine be designed for 3 knots? :confused:

Likely because the mission of the DeepWorker is not to swim around and look at pretty fish.
Also, since "worker" is in the title, it would likely be doing work - where people are being paid by the hour - and doing things faster is a motivating factor.
And since "deep" is in the title, it is likely working significantly further from the boat than a recreational diver.

Maybe we should make this example even more outlandish - nuclear subs work in the open water, too. I bet they are planned to go even FASTER. Man...why can't I keep up with a nuclear sub with a monofin. Go work on that scenario for me, won't you?

Or...leave this thread be, since it has nothing to do with what you are talking about

Then we brought in the scooters. First and obvious, the trip to the dry docks from the parking lot entrance takes 6 min total. No effort, just fun. But what iss even more fun is zooming around the structures. I would estimate that with the scooters we've covered more ground, seen more of the structures, and understand the layout of each dry dock much better than when we were swimming. The scooter really gives you an awesome overview of a wreck.
Thank you. Everyone else seems to think you won't see anything unless you are going really slow.

I'm mostly a photo diver, so I love going REALLY slow. Often the main wall is anywhere up to a 15 min swim over mud flats. The scooter does speed up that part if I want to take it, or I may just swim and look at the lingcod.

I long ago quit diving with the macho divers who think every dive is a race from a to b. Diving is supposed to be fun, and racing about from point to point is not my idea of fun.

Why do you keep bringing up the monofin? There is a picture of one on my avatar, but you are the only one talking about it here.

because...

Using my "recreational" scuba kit, I cruise comfortably at 2 knots without a DPV .. I did this by streamlining the heck out of my equipment and using good fins...For me, it is way more practical than using a DPV. Let me know if you want to know more about it.

It seems to me you ARE talking about your monofin, and that you are encouraging him to contact you regarding info on it as opposed to buying a scooter. Stop playing dumb, and stop trying to derail this thread.

And yes, there ARE times that going fast is nice...but it's not required for most dives. Particularly rec dives. Just like a scooter is not required for most dives. In fact, many tec dives can be done without a scooter, and do not require anyone to go fast. Are there exceptions to this for both rec and tec diving? Of course...which is likely why the OP is asking about scooters in the first place...But I guarantee that what you are pitching is NOT the solution for tec dives that require a scooter, which the OP indicated is the direction he is headed...

Thank you. Everyone else seems to think you won't see anything unless you are going really slow.

Read my next message, which I was writing when you posted yours.

I go the speed most appropriate for the dive. Photo is slow. Covering ground is usually faster, but even then I don't bother cranking up my scooter to it's maximum velocity. No point. I just want to get there a bit quicker and without the long swim. Plus, it's fun, but it doesn't have to be full power to be fun.

Besides, I though you promised us you were gone from this thread?

Likely because the mission of the DeepWorker is not to swim around and look at pretty fish.
Also, since "worker" is in the title, it would likely be doing work - where people are being paid by the hour - and doing things faster is a motivating factor.
And since "deep" is in the title, it is likely working significantly further from the boat than a recreational diver.

Maybe we should make this example even more outlandish - nuclear subs work in the open water, too. I bet they are planned to go even FASTER. Man...why can't I keep up with a nuclear sub with a monofin. Go work on that scenario for me, won't you?

Or...leave this thread be, since it has nothing to do with what you are talking about
Maybe you are right. It could be a 3 knot machine because it has the words Deep and Worker embedded in the name. Or, it could be that the boss-man at Nuytco looked at the environment and the mission and told the engineers to make it a 3 knot machine.

As for the mission, DeepWorker is commercial equipment designed to do the job of commercial divers without bringing in the cost and complexity of saturation riggs. Commercial diving is site diving. They go down to work on static equipment in the ocean. They actually have a reduced requirement for mobility than someone who is exploring... and yet they are more mobile. Interesting, don't you think?

Nuclear subs! That's obvious reductio ad absurdum. Cheap propaganda, and nothing more. It weakens your entire presence here and everything you have said.

Since you are getting tedious, I'll indulge you and leave this thread. But, I'd like to point out that others like you are the ones that took it off topic in the first place. My original post was just to recommend the OP wait until he finds he has a real mission need for a scooter and then define the requirements it needs to fulfill for him before going shopping. Educated and motivated divers can do a lot without a DPV, and if the OP finds that he really needs one, having something that won't do the defined mission is of no real benefit.

PS -
It seems to me you ARE talking about your monofin, and that you are encouraging him to contact you regarding info on it as opposed to buying a scooter. Stop playing dumb, and stop trying to derail this thread.

You said you read my material, but clearly you did not. The material I referenced in Part 3 only talked about stereo fins and streamlining of scuba equipment.

Revan:

You base your premise on a misconception. Tech divers do not use DPVs to swim faster. They use DPVs to cover longer distances. With any equipment, should it fail, you will need safety measures to get you home safely. It's the same for your boat. If your motor fails several miles out to sea, you have problems. It's the same for us, when the DPV fails. I don't know about boats, but for those of us on DPVs, it's part of our dive plan. Do we have enough gas to return, if the DPV fails. Given the additional time, can our insulation withstand the exposure? The DPV does enable you to do more but it can put you in the hurt zone very quickly.

While we're happy that you can maintain 2 knots underwater, most of us cannot do this while still keeping a manageable breathing rate, to say nothing of exhaustion. I know I could not sustain anywhere near that speed with single or double tanks. When I freedive, I certainly do not want to move that quickly, as I will pop to the surface very quickly.

O.

Lol, this thread got really stupid.

Anyway, back to the topic. My DPV is a used Suex XJoy2 (the baby of the fleet), with an upgraded 3-blade prop. It pulled me and a buddy just fine, both of us on double 130s, 2 deco bottles and a stage each, and drysuits (I'm 6'3", 215lbs) and has a 1-hr burntime on Ni-Mh batteries (it came with 2). It was faster than the small DiveXtras scooters a couple of my buddies were using. I wouldn't take this very far into a cave unless I upgraded to a Li-ion battery (which it was modded to accept), but otherwise would have no reservations.

And...as a former competitive swimmer, swimming is for chumps. Scootering is the way to go.

Well i started this topic just to ask about some models. I , for example, i will use the scooter to get to some dive sites.
1. I don't have a boat
2. I don't want a boat right now.
3. The dive sites are about 1 km from the shore.
I have a lot of dive sites like these and i can't get to them by swimming with all my gear with me. So yeah, it's usefull in some situations . I don't care if i look BEAUTIFULL with it. I just want the job done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom