Scooters used in Meg tooth hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm thinking purchasing a scooter just for using it for Meg tooth hunting. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but I don't want a piece of junk either. I was thinking of a used Mako after reading the DPV forum as it might be more in my price range. Any suggestions or advice from experience would be great. Also some technique using it would be nice.

Thanks
Brian

I'm thinking purchasing a scooter just for using it for Meg tooth hunting. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but I don't want a piece of junk either. I was thinking of a used Mako after reading the DPV forum as it might be more in my price range. Any suggestions or advice from experience would be great. Also some technique using it would be nice.

Thanks
Brian

I haven't gone hunting for shark teeth, but I imagine it's shallow and somewhat silty? IMO the Mako is an expensive tool for excavating. You have to hold it against your chest, hopefully being able to brace yourself against something. On high pitch debris can fly out and hit the props., or the operator and fine silt goes everywhere including the propeller hub parts. I personally dislike cleaning out fine silt from quality machine parts and having to reassemble the mako hub which is metal to plastic screws. So, I quit using my Mako a while ago and have resorted to using a ping pong paddle which is 1/2 as effective, but cheaper and requires zero maintenance.

Cheaper scooters might come in handier though? Sea Doo models come to mind. They aren't that expensive, lightweight, bulky and the thrust isn't as strong. Replacement parts not so pricey either. Just some thoughts.

X

Last edited:
I don't know where you are planning to hunt for Meg teeth. If you are planning on diving a tidal river like the Cooper River you should save your money. The currents in the river do not led themselves to using a scooter. Also, when looking for teeth in the Cooper it is not the type of environment where you need a scooter to find teeth.

I've done what you're looking to do with a scooter out in venice. It churns up the water something fierce. In fact I don't think I've found a single meg using the scooter. I have better luck by just keeping on the move. Hope that helps.

Looking off the North Carolina coast in the fossil beds where you need to dig a little. People use them and seem to work great. There is a couple of youtube vids showing it. I was hoping someone would chime in that was in those vids maybe.

For offshore NC, scooters can be a great asset, once you master the technique.

Ironeagle
If you decide to get a scooter, contact me, I've got an Apollo AV-I in like new condition, I might let go of.

We use Apollos for excavators. They are great for digging since the trigger is at the front of the body vs. on the shroud. Very easy to control. I don't have the heart to dig w/ my N-19 :)

There's definitely a trick to digging with a scooter. I'll use it part of the time but you have to have enough current to clear the water or it will just make a big cloud that doesn't do much for you.

Ironeagle, if you do talk to Spearit about his Apollo, don't forget that he does some of the best tooth hunting on NC. Be sure to include a trip out to learn how to use it.

I agree with the people that said that they are more trouble than they are worth in the rivers. I bought one and used it several times. You have to teather it to yourself so you do not lose it so you are dragging it around when you are not using it. The current pushes away the silt cloud, but for me the scooter was always in the way. I found it easier to use my hand or like someone mentioned a ping pong paddle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom