Scooters used in Meg tooth hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I take it that your not to deep and diviving in Zero Visability ( i REMEMBER THE cOOPER AS i TOOK A MISSLEBOAT THRU DOWN THERE AND BLEW THE *s-h-i-t-TER IN THE RIVER NEXT TO THE cHARLESTON bASE.

so why not just use a Diesil Trash Pump with 3" hose .

Mount it on your boat with a filter screen, riffle board and let the pump do the work. You cna have a crew member spray down the crap with a pressure washer as it sifts out.

Thats what I would do. Next best thing to an Air Lift. Maybe better.

How much do you sell those Mega Teeth for?

Get the Apollo from Capt. Tom or elsewhere. They hold up really well to the use and abuse we put them through digging for teeth on the ledges and artifacts on the wrecks. You can cover a lot of ground and do a lot of digging without burning up your air supply. Pretty much indispensible if you plan on doing any serious hunting.

I take it that your not to deep and diviving in Zero Visability ( i REMEMBER THE cOOPER AS i TOOK A MISSLEBOAT THRU DOWN THERE AND BLEW THE *s-h-i-t-TER IN THE RIVER NEXT TO THE cHARLESTON bASE.

Mount it on your boat with a filter screen, riffle board and let the pump do the work. You cna have a crew member spray down the crap with a pressure washer as it sifts out.

Thats what I would do. Next best thing to an Air Lift. Maybe better.

How much do you sell those Mega Teeth for?

Good idea but I am too lazy for all that plus I like to dive too much. Even in zero vis there is nothing like the feel of a tooth as it slides into your hand. The money is just to fund my diving habit and keep my wife from putting me in drydock.

I wouldn't take a scooter on a dive in the Cooper River. May work OK elsewhere. For fanning in the Cooper River, I made my own version of a " ping-pong paddle. " I used a piece of Lexan, & cut it into the shape of an oversize [ about 1/3 bigger ] paddle. I increased the size of the handle with more strips of the Lexan siliconed together with the edges rounded. I then drilled a hole thru the end for a lanyard. After a few dives, It took too much wrist strength to fan, & I drilled a few 1/4" vent holes in it. Worked great !!

Good idea but I am too lazy for all that plus I like to dive too much. Even in zero vis there is nothing like the feel of a tooth as it slides into your hand. The money is just to fund my diving habit and keep my wife from putting me in drydock.

Are you diving the Cooper River or areas around Hilton Head?
I've heard of divers having good finds near Hilton Head the last few years.
I also know a local diver who said he found some great fossil beds on the Edisto,
but he never said where exactly!

SC law states that you cannot use any mechanical means to retrieve artifacts from a submerged area without a commercial permit.

Are you diving the Cooper River or areas around Hilton Head?
I've heard of divers having good finds near Hilton Head the last few years.
I also know a local diver who said he found some great fossil beds on the Edisto,
but he never said where exactly!

Mostly Hilton Head and Savannah. Never been to the Edisto but I have heard the same thing.

Unfortunately they are.

In GA the state fossil is the shark tooth. hence the fossil is not a artifact.
In FL, shark teeth are not required to be reported on the fossil report of those who have fossil licenses. I haven't heard of enforcement of laws on the shark teeth in SC but maybe there has been???

Back
Top Bottom