Screwed Ordering Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, this thread is still going???

Damn, more energy than the energizer bunny...

I do feel for ya though, taat....

But, please....

jonnythan once bubbled...
I would just like to say that this thread has inspired me to buy my new drysuit through Dan's. So far, they have been extremely helpful and knowledgable. If my experience with them so far is any indication, I'm sure I'll be recommending Dan's shop in the future.

You are either one trusting dude, very gullible, or extremely foolish after reading this thread. They both have completely conflicting stories. taat might have jumped the gun a bit by sending his drysuit in to be altered but there is nothing worse than a shop not getting back to you right away on a matter like that and then to leave threatening phone calls.That right there is a poor sign of customer service. I seriously doubt taat forked out all that money so he could get the wrong suit just to bad mouth Dan's shop online.

Its really obvious dan isnt telling the whole story and didnt seem willing to fix the problem.I would be willing to bet the only reason he posted here was to cover his butt from getting a bad reputation.The right thing would be to pay for half his alterations considering it was a bad error on their part. He hasnt posted saying he would offer to pay half or somehow make it right.

I hope your purchase goes much smoother than taat's but if you get boned because someting wasnt right all i can say is you were warned.Hopefully your an off the rack size that doesnt need any alterations.

but honestly how do we really know it was dans fault to begin with?none of us on here know for sure.we honestly dont..i find it funny that no one else has had trouble wth them..imnot saying that mistakes dont happen because they do..i dont agree that if and i say IF the customer made the mistake that the lds or whoever they got it from should have to pay for it all the time..

I deal with Dan's on a weekly basis.. They are my local dive store.. You are the first person I have ever met that wasn't satisfied with their service.. I bought my own drysuit there.. Like you, I'm a non standard size. I was advised that stock sized wouldn't fit but custom suits where available. I followed their advie and ordered a custom suit. Matt took all the measurements in the store three times and tripple checked them.. The order went out and I received my custoim suit a few weeks later.
I realize you wanted to save money, everybody does....But what I don't understand is why you went mailorder for something as expensive as a drysuit, where proper fit is everything?!!
You should have gone to your local dive shop and bought the suit there.. especially since it was your first suit and you need all the advice you can get... I realize its expensive, but that's why you need to try them on...
As for the gloves.. I own a pair myself.. Had them installed on my suit two weeks ago.. they are awesome.. I'm sorry to hear you don't like them.
The same thing could have happened with any number of stores... that's why its better to stay local and get things measured and try them on... Then there are no discrepancies.. At this point the whole thing turned into a he-said-he-said thing.. And that's bad for everybod...
In the end, your attempt to save a few hundred bucks will cost you more...
I hope you get a suit that makes you happy..

Actually.. I had to get a custom cut suit too.. i ordered a DUI TLS350, and the custom measuring instructions are much more detailed/complex than any tailor I've ever seen. THe instructions actually include a picture to be perfectly clear on where to take the measurement..
There are some differences between drysuit and tailor measurements.
Besides, an authorized dealer will know where someone might need extra room for undies or improved movement because they know diving.. A tailor will just go for fit.. Different uses, different measurements..

jonnythan once bubbled...

That sounds pretty insane to me. What possible reason could they have for this? Do the "measurements" for their suits somehow differ from the industry standard measurements tailors use?

Does Bare make sure that the "professional authorized dealers" are trained to take measurements? I think that's bull and Bare is feeding you a line.

OK.. Now your being a bigot... Do yo have a problem with Canadians?.. If you don't like us, why did you take your business up here? You could have saved everybody a lot of aggravation (including yourself) if you would have gone to a local shop.. There must be a few in your area..But you choose to look at price first and disregard common sense (like trying something on before buying it, especially since you knew you're not a standard size). And yes.. I am Canadian and proud of it.. Do you have a problem with that?
Your post was pretty arrogant..No wonder people loose their temper whan talking to you...

taat2d once bubbled...

That's right I'm not letting it go. It's kind of funny that the only 3 people that want this post closed or ended are all Dan's fellow Canadian's. Hmmmmmmmm... Coincidence?

And if you think I'm trying to intimidate anyone online that's a good laugh. Yeah i know alot of people who scare me online. And listen don't flatter yourself you're not worh my time.

I just completed my order for my new ATR HD from Dan's. Matt was very helpful. He sent me the Bare measurement form, which I took to a tailor and had filled out. After 4 or 5 emails and two phone calls, we had all the options worked out, he had all my exact measurements, and the order has been placed with Bare. We even had a good laugh about whether to get the glove rings direct from DCI or the manufacturer.

After reading the thread and dealing with Dan's, I find it hard to believe that their service was as incredibly deficient as was originally stated. All my questions were expertly answered, intelligent questions were asked, and reasonable suggestions given.

jonny

with all the fuss over Joeys order i would expect dans to get detailed over any drysuit purchase made over the phone. They dont want a repeat of Joeys situation, they are going to be extra careful and triple check any order, hell i would after the last CF.

I still would not have ordered from them after reading Joeys post and Dans reply. I base this on Dans unwillingness to help Joey out and/or pay half the cost to get the mods Joey wanted.

Andy

trymixdiver once bubbled...
jonny

with all the fuss over Joeys order i would expect dans to get detailed over any drysuit purchase made over the phone. They dont want a repeat of Joeys situation, they are going to be extra careful and triple check any order, hell i would after the last CF.

I still would not have ordered from them after reading Joeys post and Dans reply. I base this on Dans unwillingness to help Joey out and/or pay half the cost to get the mods Joey wanted.

Andy

Andy, I'm necessarily agreeing with Dan's course of action, but let's look at the situation from his perspective for a moment. Don't you think a big part of the reason that he's not offering to halve the cost of Joey's customization is that one of the FIRST things Joey did when things started to go wrong was to badmouth Dan's shop here on ScubaBoard and who knows where else before the situation was even brought to Dan's attention. I believe the suit was received on a Friday, and the poop had already hit the fan long before Monday.

Most reasonable people would give the vendor an opportunity to fix the situation if they felt wronged - give them a few days or a week to make it right. Did Joey do that? No, he was on the phone to Diving Concepts and BARE who knows how many times complaining loudly about how he'd been screwed. I would think that for a stock suit, he could have just returned it had he acted in a reasonable and civil manner.

The course of action he took is what dictated Dan's reaction, and I for one can't blame Dan for that. To put it simply, Joey burnt the bridge all on his own. The magnanimous, and maybe right thing for Dan to do would be to halve the customization cost, but taking everything into consideration, I don't blame him for choosing not to do so.

Rick

Rick

Point taken but:

1. I doute Joey came on here bad mouthing Dans before contacting Dans and trying to resolve the issue. That conversation i feel is what led Joey to post here.

2. Dans should have worked with him, period!

As you said most reasonable people would give the vendor a chance. I suspect Joey did just that and was not hearing what he wanted so it got heated over the phone.

Why was dans unwilling to work with him at first ( before joeys response to dans post that is). Its absolutley rediculous that this $200 Snafu caused such bad blood, $100 bucks each is chump change.

Andy

After Joeys response to Dans post i do feel he burned the bridge, that was a going to far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom