Screwed Ordering Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
... BTW... this sounds like beware of BARE and Dan's... is that correct?

I know of quite a number of folks who bought the Bare ATR HD (myself included) with none of the issues raised.

When I purchased mine, I had all the measurements taken, had them all verified a second time. Both times I got to see how the measurement was done, and what the measurement was. So I know what was placed on the order was what was measured. At the time that I bought mine, I was told that any deviation from the stock suit would cost money to alter --- I was lucky, I could get mine right off the rack.

Being a well established companywith a good reputation in my local, I'm surprised that Bare gave what sounds like a run around.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
I always buy my drysuits from an LDS and try them on in the store wearing my undergarments before the plastic hits the counter.

However I know a fella that got tired of waiting for his custom suit to come in to the LDS and purchase a stock one online from a discounter... and the thing fit perfectly! But then he was only gambling a third of what you were.

BTW... this sounds like beware of BARE and Dan's... is that correct?

Unfortunatly I had no choice but to give my credit card number befor I was able to reieve my suit to try it on. I ASS-umed incorrectly that since I was dealing with a SO-CALLED dry suit expert that given my measurments 3 times, they would have gotten the correct sizing.

And yes UP as it stands now I would DEFINITELY NOT deal with Dan's Dive Shop in Canada, or BARE until they make good on their obvious screwup.

Sorry to hear you had so many problems. Three years ago when we first openned our shop Bear didn't do custom suits. I guess they do now?

When we sell a custom suit to someone out of town I get real nervous. They measurements must be done correctly. We send the customer the measurement form which includes directions on how to take them. They can measure themself or go to someone with experience in doing it. I recomment the later. In our shop my wife is the only one who measures people for suits.

We sell Whites suits (when I can afford it I'll get DUI). When there is a fitting problem on a custom suit they will eat it if it was their mistake. If the measurements were done incorrectly they wont do a thing. If we didn't take the measurement I can't do anything either.

BTW, if it makes you feel better I was measured for my custom suit by the CEO of whites and it's too big. There was later a design change that corrected the problem for other people but I got stuck and I'm a dealer.

Tip- When buying a custom suit get measured by the person you want to be responsible for the measurements.

Don't take their crap. I got the runaround from a hi-end suit manufacturer last year (i wont mention any names but it rhymes with gooie) - i got attitude about some cufflinks that were basicaly rotting on the suit (1 month after i received it) - i was told that a) it was exposed to sun or chemicals (i think i dove it less than 10 times by that point, and to produce that kind of rot by sun i'd basically have to had held my wrist up evenly to sun at all angles) and when she realized i wouldn't possibly accept that as an answer as I knew damn well how those wrist seals were treated i was then told that b) they sometimes get different grades of rubber from various manufacturers. Apparently this was my fault some how. So needless to say, that did't sit well either. After that call, several days later my LDS got some cuffs delivered without me even knowing that was their solution to the problem. It was a bit of a shock actually, but was a decent resolution to the problem. However, the attitude still pissed me off. Just be an ass back to them and be persistent and if all else fails it takes no time at all to get word to thousands of potential customers - and let them know that. Things will be resolved one way or another or at least you can rest assured you've cost them enough in sales to affect them. If the manufacturer starts giving attitude or treating you poorly this is truly one of the times where being a thorn in the side doesn't hurt at all - they started it.

steve

Jonathan once bubbled...
beware of BARE - easy enough, never heard of them before.

Bare is a major manufacturer or drysuits and wetsuits. They aren't Joe Schmo Wetsuits Inc.

Though I have yet to receive my drysuit, I do have a very high quality Bare Arctic hooded fullsuit. Bare makes good stuff at reasonable prices. It sounds like the dive shop dropped the ball on this one, not Bare

As for "try before you buy:" If you are like me, you don't fit into a stock suit (I'm too tall and thin), so ordering a custom fit is all you can do. I've tried a Bare ATR-HD on before, but would never be able to try on my suit until it was made for me.

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having. I'd strongly suggest looking into disputing the credit card charges.

I bought a custom DUI through mail-order. To protect myself, I thoroughly documented every detail in a spec sheet I faxed to the dealer, rechecked measurements twice (so three measurements in total), and kept a record of all correspondence/conversation with the dive shop. I also paid via credit card so I would have a means of recourse if something went wrong.

Everything went perfectly though.

Good luck.

I guess what I'd be doing if I were a dealer accepting internet orders is I wold require MY customers to:

1) Download a copy of an order form with a diagram on it for taking measurements properly...

2) I'd require them to fax it back to me with the measurements THEY took (which would protect me from any issues with measurements after the suit has been made and is delivered)...

3) And/or require them to come into my shop for a fitting session...

Lucky for me another BARE dealer in Canada made my suit to MY measurements that I submitted and I've had no issues yet. We'll see how that goes when I get it wet as soon as my new fins get here.

Despite all that, I think someone needs to address the fact that the suit DOESN'T fit you now and aside from 'blaming' people, take steps to remedy this situation to everyone's satisfaction.

Perhaps this LDS and BARE can 'split' the cost to alter whats incorrect and make everyone happy in the end.

I know one thing - this sure is an 'eye opener' for me for future purchases of a large investment like that w/o support form the dealer directly - however, on the other hand, I've heard plenty of horror stories from guys who purchased stuff from their LDS - and still had problems afterwards as well...no guarantee, I suppose!

Well I recieved a phone call today from Dan the owner threatening me with a law suit for slander. LOL That's a joke. He also went on to call me a liar. Stated that he didn't need this BS, of me badmouthing his store online. He also called me a coward for doing that. I told him I just wanted to make people aware of what could happen them if they dealt with his store.

He then went on to tell me I got "what i payed for", and that I knew the legs would be alittle long. MY inseam is 30 inches, the suit's inseam is the stock size. Hmmmm go figure.

Now lets move on to my dry gloves. I was under the WRONG impression that I ordered Diving Concepts gloves and rings. What I got was something completly different. Anyone ever hear of a company called High Performance, and the gloves are their Check Up systyem.

Well Dan told me that they are the SAME EXACT gloves as Diving Concepts. He went on to tell me that both sets of gloves are made in the same place.

I decided to call DC to find out. I spoke to their office manager about their gloves. I asked him if Dan's Dive shop is an authorized dealer he said yes. I thien went on to ask him if he ever heard of the High Performance glove system. He informed me that no he did not.

I them explained to him that I ordered a dry suit complete with DC dry gloves for $160 US from Dan's. I also told him that when I recieved my suit, it DID NOT have to DC gloves on it. IT had these bogus knock off gloves on my suit.

The manager of DC asked me to take a pic of the booklet, and gloves andemail it to him. He also told me he will look into this matter pertaining to my gloves, and dealings with Dan's.

It seems to me and remember I'm not accusing anyone, but it looks like they charged me for DC gloves at one price, and then got a cheaper pair and put them on my suit. Hmmm.... Sounds fishy...

And the plot thickens...... What a bummer.I dont know why they would even want to sell you a drysuit with the legs too long, even only by a few inches as they know its not going to fit properly. Im curious about the gloves as i have never heard of that brand neither.It seems like dans shop got caught with his pants down.Hopefully DC pulls their dealership from him and charges him with fraud for selling some bogus gloves in place of the DC gloves that you were suppose to get.

I just hope that they can't pull this on another unsuspecting customer again. Unfortunatly it had to be me.

Funny about those gloves huh? I can't wait to hear from DC about this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom