Screwed Ordering Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sounds like the custom drysuit order you place got dropped by whatever salesperson you had spoken to, so BARE delivered what was ordered. While BARE isn't at fault, you would think that they would back their authorized dealer on the SNAFU and work with them to resolve the issue. It's not like it should be a big deal to take back a stock suit or trim a few inches off the legs and arms.

Anyway, it sounds like the issue is escalating, so if you can, call the credit card company and tell them that you are indispute over the purchase and would like to hold payment until it is resolved. They usually put a dispute down for 30 days and then either continue the payment at the end automaticly or you have to call them back and reverse the charges entirely at that time. I've only done it once, and I think that that is how the procedure went.

I called my credit card company today to dispute the charges. I have to send everything to them on paper. I will let eveyone know how this turns out.

Let me make one thing clear. I'm not looking to gain anything out of this other than a proper fitting suit, and the gloves that I ordered.

This whole mess started because you wanted to save major bucks by circumventing the standard practices and relied on someone who couldn't measure you first-hand or even see what you look like for that matter. Any reputable dealer or LDS should tell you in no uncertain terms that accurate measurements are critical! Did they neglect to inform you of that or did you decide not to take that advise? Sounds to me like you are failing to take any responsibility for your own choices here.

Granted, I know a few people who have been sold down the river by an LDS (or two) that was all talk - all BS that is! As first-timers and loyal to that shop since OW training we just didn't know how full of crap the guy really was. Our responsibility lies in not shopping around. That'll teach us!

Anyone in the market for such a high ticket item needs to ask around, talk to satisfied customers, and find a shop that has a good reputation and that has a person experienced in taking measurements for custom drysuits. The manufacturer must also know what specific undergarments you intend to wear as that affects the patterns they use.

Having worked at an LDS for a few years and having a couple of drysuits of my own I can tell you that there are not that many LDS employees who are qualified to take measurements - even if they own the shop. MikeF stated that his wife "is the only one at his shop that takes measurements". That ensures that his customers do not incur variances in personal styles during measuring customers.

My custom drysuit came in just a little big in places even though a highly trained person took my measurements - not once but three times just to be certain. But, now that I have upgraded the undergarments (should have gotten those in the first place but tried to save $$ - lesson learned there) the suit fits quite nicely. I think they predicted I'd be buying the good undergarments eventually and allowed for that.

This doesn't help the guy who started this thread but hopefully others in the market for their first drysuit will take heed and do some homework first! Go to your local diving hole and ask around. Get measured at your LDS then take those and get them checked by someone else (preferrably w/ experience) to see how accurate they are. Hopefully the LDS will take them a second time just to be certain they are accurate.

diveski01 wrote...
Anyone in the market for such a high ticket item needs to ask around, talk to satisfied customers, and find a shop that has a good reputation and that has a person experienced in taking measurements for custom drysuits.
Or you could simply follow the manufacturer's instructions for taking measurements, as I did.

This isn't rocket science.

If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about lawsuits. They're in Canada, you're U.S. Somehow I doubt a cross-border suit is particularly easy or cheap.

WW

It's one thing to buy mail order from a non-authorized dealer, but there should be much less caveat emptor when dealing with an authorized dealer.

As Dan's is reportedly an authorized dealer, then presumably they follow BARE's sales practices for BARE's products. As such, ordering from them should be as safe as ordering from any other BARE authorized dealer, local or not. Either BARE stands behind their authorized dealers or they do not, it shouldn't matter if the customer is local or not.

If BARE don't like or won't support the practice, then they should strip the authorized dealership of of the authorized label and make certain that everyone knows that there is no MFG warentee for products bought from that shop, only a retailers warentee, as some other prominant mail order shops advertise.

diveski01 once bubbled...
This whole mess started because you wanted to save major bucks by circumventing the standard practices and relied on someone who couldn't measure you first-hand or even see what you look like for that matter. Any reputable dealer or LDS should tell you in no uncertain terms that accurate measurements are critical! Did they neglect to inform you of that or did you decide not to take that advise? Sounds to me like you are failing to take any responsibility for your own choices here.

Failing to take responsibly for this?? You must be joking or you didn't read my first post. How was I to know this wuld happen. I told them right form the get go that I'm short and fat. I gave them the SPECIFIC MEASURMENTS that they, Dan's asked for. THEY are the experts. THEY should have advised me to get fitted for a custom suit because of my measurments. Dan's is an authorized dealer not ME. YOu gotta be kidding me.

WreckWriter once bubbled...
If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about lawsuits. They're in Canada, you're U.S. Somehow I doubt a cross-border suit is particularly easy or cheap.

WW

Believe me I'm in no way shape for form worried about them bringing a law suit against me. That's a big laugh. Ever hear of fraud? I payed for Diving Concepts gloves and they installed some cheap knock off called High Performance or something like that and they had the nerve to charge me the same prices as the DC gloves.

It's not like they called me and said. Listen we can't get the DC gloves, or they're on back order so you have 2 choice you either wait and don't have us install them, or we can use a similiar brand. They didn't do that they took it upon themselves to install this knock off brand and never took money off or TOLD me they were using them. I would have said no thanx and got my gloves somewhere else.

taat2d once bubbled...

Failing to take responsibly for this?? You must be joking or you didn't read my first post. How was I to know this wuld happen. I told them right form the get go that I'm short and fat. I gave them the SPECIFIC MEASURMENTS that they, Dan's asked for. THEY are the experts. THEY should have advised me to get fitted for a custom suit because of my measurments. Dan's is an authorized dealer not ME. YOu gotta be kidding me.

I didnt really understand that post either.Its obvious they screwed up not you.You in good faith purchased a drysuit through Dan's shop, an authorized bare dealer and basically got screwed.You provided them with the needed measurements and they(Bare or Dans) dropped the ball.If the measurements you provided doesnt match the suit given to you that is not your fault as the other poster seems to think it is your fault.

lal7176 once bubbled...

I didnt really understand that post either.Its obvious they screwed up not you.You in good faith purchased a drysuit through Dan's shop, an authorized bare dealer and basically got screwed.You provided them with the needed measurements and they(Bare or Dans) dropped the ball.If the measurements you provided doesnt match the suit given to you that is not your fault as the other poster seems to think it is your fault.

Thanx I thought I was nuts when I read that. And like I stated earlier in the post. I payed in full for the suit. It's not like I got it and now I don't want it or like it. All I want is for a proper fitting suit. So now I'm stuck paying more money. I'm shipping my suit to the guys at www.drysuitrepair.com. And lal I'm taking your advise and having suspenders added on too. Oh and one more thing thatx for the heads up with the Dive Rite bungee straps. Got them for my comp and compass. They're awesome.

Back
Top Bottom