Screwed Ordering Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how much do you figure you saved by going mail order?

Figure in the extra costs you are spending to get the suit the way you want it and all the time you have spent on the phone and fumming about it.

That said, thing do happen. DUI screws up sometimes. The measurements that were sent in are right, but the arms were cut too long, or the legs, or the waist...

The great thing about using someone -ANYONE- local is that you can try it on right there in front of someone and have them see exactly what the problem is rather than scream at someone on the phone 500 miles away.

snuggle once bubbled...
only one question..why are you blaming bare??
He's not blaming anyone snuggle.... in fact he's probably already forgotton this whole sorry mess and moved on... and so should we...

nothing to see here folks.... nothing to see... let's all just move along....

So what do you all think the R in DIR means? And what about shark feeding... is that really a good idea?

SCORE ResQ wrote...

I seem to be having trouble tying knots that will stay put on those darn bungee cords.
This might help.

norcaldiver once bubbled...
So how much do you figure you saved by going mail order?

When I ordered my suit from Canada I saved $1000. Yes, 1k, a grand, a thousand big ones. The suit goes for $1800 at my LDS and I got it for ~$800. My LDS couldn't even buy it for that cost.

What a great reference that is. Fire service knots don't work out so well on shock cord. I can always over come laziness when it saves me some cash. :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
So what do you all think the R in DIR means? And what about shark feeding... is that really a good idea?

I've been feeding sharks with split fins. I'm pretty sure JJ said it was OK in the book.

:)

This is the only response I plan to make on this issue, so it may be a bit long. Please bear with me as, in nearly 30 years in business, I am aware of the value of our good reputation and need to defend it.

Joey, of 'screwed' fame called Dan's Dive Shop on Feb. 19/03 to order a drysuit. He spoke with one of my employees that day during several phone calls, asking about the various prices of Bare stock suits, about Special edition (a modified stock suit, like his friend got) as well as Custom made. He received a LOT of useful information, much of which he ignored.
Joey gave us the necessary measurements for the SE suit (NOT CUSTOM MADE) by telephone. He claims to be 250lb., 5'10" tall, size 11 1/2 shoe, etc. The employee immediately suggested a custom fit as the best option but he decided to go for price and ordered an XXL Special Edition suit, but had to think about 'options' on the suit (ie gloves and pvalve).

I received the next series of calls (he works for the phone company and has a lot of free time) over the next week and personally handled the order. Joey had decided that he should get the XXXL size since he had been studying the size charts and the XXL might be a little small with underwear. Upon checking with Bare, I agreed he was borderline XXL, but that the XXXL was to fit up to 6'4" (which he knew) and also that Special Edition suits would only allow a 2" reduction in leg length. I reminded him that the suit would be AT LEAST 2-3" longer, but he "was used to that" and said he didn't need custom, even though I told him it would give the best fit and if there was a problem with the manufacture Bare would look after it, but if there was a problem with measurement it was his mistake. I then DOUBLE CHECKED the limited number of measurements needed, plus suit options, on the phone with him slowly and deliberately before accepting the order (like I say, I've been at this a long time). He INSISTED that I immediately take a deposit on the suit and order it. I told him it would take 3-4 weeks for us to receive from Bare. He ordered the suit he wanted, did not take our advice and got the suit he ordered. The suit was shipped out April 1 (bad choice). The price was $1250.Cdn/$850. US & included a FREE Tech Dry Hood w/zipper (which we did forget to include but was sent later).
The P-valve was supplied and installed for $150.C/$102.US
Dry gloves installed were $189.C/$128.US

I have used nearly every make and style of drysuit on the market over the years. The Bare XXL boot fits my size 10 foot well. Joey called to complain about the fit of theXXXL boot on his 11.5 foot & then called to say it was ok??! with socks. Go figure.

The glove concern is weird. When Joey asked about the gloves I did tell him that the gloves were from the same manufacturer that the Diving Concept gloves come from and that's why the price is good. DC gloves DO NOT come with any literature, nor are they imprinted - you are pointed to their web site for instructions. But, oddly, the instructions are EXACTLY THE SAME as the brochure included with ours. The main difference? - ours have the OEM's name on them while Diving Concepts' name is on the website copy. Now, Joey either spoke with someone who a) doesn't know, b) doesn't want to say where the gloves & rings come from, or c) he made up the story. The gloves are the same blue gloves every drysuit supplier has with a patented ring system that can only be made by the original company, i.e.ours & DCs.

Final note: from the day Joey first called, he made in excess of 100 PHONE CALLS and Emails about this order - there is NO WAY he was screwed other than by himself for not listening to our advice.
I have read many of your replies on this board and appreciate the insight many of you have shown.

We looked into altering the suit by both Bare and our Repair Technician but it wasn't good enough for Joey. We feel his decision to send the suit to a local repair centre is wise and know that once he gets using the suit he'll really enjoy it.

Dan, President,DDS inc. :)

Hey Dan, thanks for taking the time to address this situation and giving us your perspective. Hopefully this thread will help any drysuit shoppers out there.

I've personally made three major purchases from Dan's Dive Shop over the phone and wouldn't hesitate to do so again. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, they've got a lot of well-earned respect in the diving community (particularly from tech divers). From my experience, their service and price are just about impossible to beat.

I hope this incident doesn't cause them to change the way they do business as I intend to be a customer of their's for as long as I dive - including my next drysuit purchase. :wink:

Dan's Dive Shop once bubbled...
This is the only response I plan to make on this issue, so it may be a bit long. Please bear with me as, in nearly 30 years in business, I am aware of the value of our good reputation and need to defend it.

Joey, of 'screwed' fame called Dan's Dive Shop on Feb. 19/03 to order a drysuit. He spoke with one of my employees that day during several phone calls, asking about the various prices of Bare stock suits, about Special edition (a modified stock suit, like his friend got) as well as Custom made. He received a LOT of useful information, much of which he ignored.
Joey gave us the necessary measurements for the SE suit (NOT CUSTOM MADE) by telephone. He claims to be 250lb., 5'10" tall, size 11 1/2 shoe, etc. The employee immediately suggested a custom fit as the best option but he decided to go for price and ordered an XXL Special Edition suit, but had to think about 'options' on the suit (ie gloves and pvalve).

I received the next series of calls (he works for the phone company and has a lot of free time) over the next week and personally handled the order. Joey had decided that he should get the XXXL size since he had been studying the size charts and the XXL might be a little small with underwear. Upon checking with Bare, I agreed he was borderline XXL, but that the XXXL was to fit up to 6'4" (which he knew) and also that Special Edition suits would only allow a 2" reduction in leg length. I reminded him that the suit would be AT LEAST 2-3" longer, but he "was used to that" and said he didn't need custom, even though I told him it would give the best fit and if there was a problem with the manufacture Bare would look after it, but if there was a problem with measurement it was his mistake. I then DOUBLE CHECKED the limited number of measurements needed, plus suit options, on the phone with him slowly and deliberately before accepting the order (like I say, I've been at this a long time). He INSISTED that I immediately take a deposit on the suit and order it. I told him it would take 3-4 weeks for us to receive from Bare. He ordered the suit he wanted, did not take our advice and got the suit he ordered. The suit was shipped out April 1 (bad choice). The price was $1250.Cdn/$850. US & included a FREE Tech Dry Hood w/zipper (which we did forget to include but was sent later).
The P-valve was supplied and installed for $150.C/$102.US
Dry gloves installed were $189.C/$128.US

I have used nearly every make and style of drysuit on the market over the years. The Bare XXL boot fits my size 10 foot well. Joey called to complain about the fit of theXXXL boot on his 11.5 foot & then called to say it was ok??! with socks. Go figure.

The glove concern is weird. When Joey asked about the gloves I did tell him that the gloves were from the same manufacturer that the Diving Concept gloves come from and that's why the price is good. DC gloves DO NOT come with any literature, nor are they imprinted - you are pointed to their web site for instructions. But, oddly, the instructions are EXACTLY THE SAME as the brochure included with ours. The main difference? - ours have the OEM's name on them while Diving Concepts' name is on the website copy. Now, Joey either spoke with someone who a) doesn't know, b) doesn't want to say where the gloves & rings come from, or c) he made up the story. The gloves are the same blue gloves every drysuit supplier has with a patented ring system that can only be made by the original company, i.e.ours & DCs.

Final note: from the day Joey first called, he made in excess of 100 PHONE CALLS and Emails about this order - there is NO WAY he was screwed other than by himself for not listening to our advice.
I have read many of your replies on this board and appreciate the insight many of you have shown.

We looked into altering the suit by both Bare and our Repair Technician but it wasn't good enough for Joey. We feel his decision to send the suit to a local repair centre is wise and know that once he gets using the suit he'll really enjoy it.

Dan, President,DDS inc. :)

First off if anyone from Dan's had suggested a custom fitted suit with the money I was saving I would have without a doubt gotten a custom fitting.

I would love to know what information I supposedly ignored. Maybe the fact that I took Dan's word that he assured me that the suit would fit with no problem.

The only advise that I was given from Dan's was that the ATRD HD was a much better suit that the ATR Light. As far as measurments and inseam the so called expert doing this for over 30 years should have told me that the XXXL suit was going to be too long. He must have had a memory lapse on that day since those words never came out of his mouth.

I INSISTED YOU TAKE THE ORDER???? PLEASE give me a break. That is the biggest joke of your sorry excuse. I know I had to twist your arm to take my order. AS far as a FREE hood as you so call it. I was told by MAtt that I was charged $32 US for it. I wouldn't know since you so convieniently left a receipt out of the box.

The glove concern is weird?? Maybe you should look into retiring. Maybe after all these years of service it's staring to get to you and your memory is fading fast. And as of 4-15-03 I STILL HAVEN"T RECEIVED THE HOOD!!

I spoke to the Diving Concepts manager Collan. I asked him about the knock off gloves that your company sold me at the same price as the DC gloves. Seems that Collan from DC never heard of that knock off company of gloves you installed on my suit. We had a lenghty phone conversation and he is waiting for some pics of the golves you tried to push off as he same as DC gloves.

100 phone calls? Maybe it's you with too muchg time on your hands at your job. It must be you, you couldn't even give me the right advise after 30 years experience.

And as far YOU looking into making any repairs thats another JOKE. Upon me calling Bare their rep informed me that your store employee recommended a custom fit suit. I was told by BAre that the only way they could possibly fix the suit was to add soft socks, and Trek boots, and it was going to cost me another $160. If I wanted the Trek boots I would have ordered them originally. If you didn't lie this wouldn't have had to end up this way.

Now lets go one step further Dan and I'll let everyone know how you left me a threatening phone call, about me voicing my opinion about your services. Slander?? In MY country we have this thing called Freedom of Speech. I was trying to hopefully warn people about dealing with you.

Then today on 4-15-03, I get another threatening harassing phone call from Matt. Telling me I BETTER give him a call. That's a real professional way for your shop to do business let me tell you. You must be broke with business dealing the way you operate.

And yes finally, I'm sure once the suit comes back to me from being repaired the right wat. I'm sure it will be fine. NO THANX TO YOU!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom