Info SCTLD closures on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has STINAPA explained their logic in opening/closing the sites? Is their any data to show whether their strategy is working or not?
I guess my point up thread when I asked if the poster would prefer the island be closed is, our opinions and thoughts on what stinapa is doing dont matter. It is what it is. They are the authority, they make the decisions. We should all be happy that we're at least still allowed to dive. I'm sure that this is an area of ongoing research and they will do what they deem to be best practices, just like the world did with covid. We saw that some covid protocols were effective, some were not at all. Its a learning process and I'm sure things will change as they learn more. So we can all bitch and question their methods and reasoning, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter cause they're the authority.
Note: by "we" i mean the royal we. I'm not specifically commenting only on your post. It seems from how I interpret some peoples comments is that they're questioning if stinapa is blowing smoke up peoples rears with their recommendations. Even if they are, they're doing the best they can with the info that they have. But yeah, it's likely a losing battle.

I guess my point up thread when I asked if the poster would prefer the island be closed is, our opinions and thoughts on what stinapa is doing dont matter. It is what it is. They are the authority, they make the decisions. We should all be happy that we're at least still allowed to dive. I'm sure that this is an area of ongoing research and they will do what they deem to be best practices, just like the world did with covid. We saw that some covid protocols were effective, some were not at all. Its a learning process and I'm sure things will change as they learn more. So we can all bitch and question their methods and reasoning, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter cause they're the authority.
I doubt it's possible to find out, but I would be interested in understanding to what extent the measures STINAPA has put in place reflect "best practices" in view of what they have learned so far, and to what extent, if any, the measures reflect a balance with external factors, much as public health agencies do with infectious disease outbreaks. Would the scientists, if they had their druthers, prefer we stay away while they figure this out? If the present measures are working, is STINAPA likely to ramp the measures up? If they're not working, is STINAPA considering tossing all the measures? Understanding STINAPA's current thinking and trying to anticipate their next move may affect our decisions about booking trips to Bonaire.

I doubt it's possible to find out, but I would be interested in understanding to what extent the measures STINAPA has put in place reflect "best practices" in view of what they have learned so far, and to what extent, if any, the measures reflect a balance with external factors, much as public health agencies do with infectious disease outbreaks. Would the scientists, if they had their druthers, prefer we stay away while they figure this out? If the present measures are working, is STINAPA likely to ramp the measures up? If they're not working, is STINAPA considering tossing all the measure? Understanding STINAPA's current thinking and trying to anticipate their next move may affect our decisions about booking trips to Bonaire.
In my opinion, it’s a complete waste of time (and bleach) - but I respect it’s their decision so I choose not to go there and have to deal with the futile (imho), extra work that might be detrimental to my gear…

Note: by "we" i mean the royal we. I'm not specifically commenting only on your post. It seems from how I interpret some peoples comments is that they're questioning if stinapa is blowing smoke up peoples rears with their recommendations. Even if they are, they're doing the best they can with the info that they have. But yeah, it's likely a losing battle.

I could care less about the politics. I’m a scientist. Curious to see if their labors bear any fruit. Are they going to publish? I’m dubious about the efficacy of this entire enterprise so data would be very helpful.

Has STINAPA explained their logic in opening/closing the sites? Is their any data to show whether their strategy is working or not?
I think it is working to deter travelers; airfares are down as well as some hotels. Thanks STINAPA!

Their island their rules. Reminds me of COVID. I assume most are trying to do their best with limited info. Stay home or go someplace else if it is not to your liking. At least that is my policy and what I do. I will pass on Bon for now.

I think it is working to deter travelers; airfares are down as well as some hotels. Thanks STINAPA!
Totally agree. I’m assiduously avoiding the island until this lunacy is over.

I would cut them some slack. Easy to criticize when you are not the one who is responsible for protecting the resource and who has to make the decisions and be held accountable for those decisions

In my opinion, it’s a complete waste of time (and bleach) - but I respect it’s their decision so I choose not to go there and have to deal with the futile (imho), extra work that might be detrimental to my gear…

Totally agree. I’m assiduously avoiding the island until this lunacy is over.

I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude. In other words, not judging STINAPA one way or the other just yet. As I've mentioned in this thread or a related one, this year my usual Bonaire buddies and I are going to Roatan instead. The extra hassle of the color-coded sites and disinfecting gear were a factor in our decision. Also, when we made the decision a few months ago airfares to Bonaire for this time of year were very high.

Are they scrubbing the hull of each cruise ship?
IMG_3921.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom