Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody spoken with Mau and/or the rest of the gang at ScubaMau? Wondering how they're doing...My best wishes to them as well...
if you have never met me at scuba mau they call me toadfish i have dove with mau and opal for allmost as long as the doors were open
at this point he is not schuling dives thru the shop
i will be diving with him monday 12th thru friday if you want to join us send me a pm
i will be glad to pass on any mesages to him but you can do that here

With apologies in advance for any errors I have made, but in an attempt to provide an at least slightly more readable translation (based on a combination of results from multiple translation software programs) ...

FRIDAY 09 SEPTEMBER 2011

HELLO!
For all who know me and those who do not, I, Gabyloco am here, on a bed in the hyperbaric chamber, unable to move half of my body or to defecate and / or urine by myself but happy, because I am here with my family after a very difficult decompression. If you are a diver like me you understand that <the nitrogen/oxygen mix at> 300 feet is pure poison. I give thanks to God who endowed me with the strength to rescue someone that many here in this island of Cozumel call &#8220;Opal,&#8221; who was at 400 feet and entering narcosis and did not know what to do, and I took the risk of going to her rescue and we are both lucky to have gotten out with our life. God gave me another chance but Opal is still fighting for her life. Mr. Heath was also in the accident and we both supported her. Heath also supported her. God gave me another chance. All I know is that I will probably never dive again, but thank God at least we live in order to tell the story, and I know that any of you would have done the same for Opal. Now I want to give thanks to all the people that are supporting us financially, and with his blessings I want you to know that I am very grateful, as is my family. May God bless all my friends, and in a case like this, you know who are really friends.

Here, I am in the best hands that God could have given me. I&#8217;m surrounded by pure angles. Julio Torres, thank you and God bless you to the team of medical doctors, nurses, paramedics, and everyone working in the hyperbaric chamber in Cozumel who did not leave me to die. You are part of my family here. <I&#8217;m with my family in the picture for those of you who don&#8217;t know me.> And the day you want to talk to me here, I wait for that. My therapy is difficult, but with a lot of support and faith in God, we will recover. For people who don&#8217;t know, I can only say that I am here in this state, because I saved a life and I&#8217;m sad because scuba was the best thing God gave me, and I can no longer do it anymore. Now, we all pray to God for Opal&#8217;s recovery. Thank you to all the many of you who have helped Gabyloco and my family.

My email is gabyloco1974@hotmail.com
my cell phone number is: 9871198691

Last edited:
Hope this translation with punctuation helps:

Friday, September 9, 2011
Hello,
For those that know me and those that don&#8217;t, my name is Gaby and they call me Gabyloco.

I am here in the Hyperbaric Chamber unable to move half my body. I can not urinate or defecate on my own. But am happy to tell you I lived and am with my family,
after intensive decompression. If you are a diver, you will understand that after a depth of 300 feet, what you breath is not nitrogen with less oxygen but pure poison.

I give God many thanks that he gave me the strength and ability to rescue a person who is very much loved here on the Island of Cozumel. Her name is or they caller, better know as, Opal, she found herself at 400 ft because she entered narcosis and did not know what she was doing. I took the risk to go help rescue her and we are fortunate to have come out alive. God gave us another opportunity. I found myself paralyzed but Opal continues to fight for her life. Mr. Heath was also with us in this accident. He is with her supporting her in everything, I know that I will not be able to dive, possibly never again but I give God thanks that we alive to talk about it.

I know that anyone one of you would have done the same for Opal. Now I want to thank all the people who are supporting us economically and with your blessings. I want you to know I am very grateful and equally, my family is grateful. May God bless all of you, my true friends. In a case like this, you learn who your true friends are. Here I am in the best hands God could have given me surrounded by pure angles. &#8220;Thank you Julio Torres" May God bless you and those who are the medical team of doctors, nurses, paramedics, and those who work at the Hyperbaric Chamber of Cozumel who did not let me die and are now a part of my family. I am here with my family in this photo in case you don&#8217;t know me. Any day you want to talk with me, I await you because my therapies will be long. It is sad but with support and much faith in God, we will recuperate. For the people who do not know of this, I can only say that I am this way for saving a life and am sad because diving was the best God had given me and I will not be able to do it again. May we all pray to God that &#8220;Opal&#8221; recuperates where she is at, because we all love her.
Many many thanks for every thing. We love you,
Gabyloco and family.

My email is :gabyloco1974@hotmail.com

My cell phone number is :9871198691

Footnote: Sorry, but while I was translating (sans programs), someone else was posting a similar translation.
The essential meaning is the same.

Keeping you in my prayers and wishing all of you a complete recovery.

Last edited:
I am one of many that have been following this thread. My thoughts and prayers are with all three divers and their families in this difficult time. I will continue to follow with the hope that all recover. What strikes me particularly is the overwhelming emotional and financial support reflected here on this thread and with the local dive community. I have not met these three divers however through this thread (Thanks Kevin!) will follow and support in any way that I can.
Dios los bandiga , Opal, Gabi and Heath.

We are praying constantly for your full recovery, Gabi. God bless you and your beautiful family!

islanddream

Gaby i love you and will see you soon my friend. Mark and myself are coming down at the end of the month and will see you then. Keep up the fight like I know you will and I will do all I can to help, you know that. You are a true hero and inspiration to all. I have told your story to my crew mates on my fire department and in all of our eyes you are a heros hero my friend. Now it is your time to focus all of that Gaby spirit and moxi, strength and the magic of the turquoise speedo to your healing FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Love you buddy, Your legacy lives through all the people and divers you have touched and in each of them lives a peace of you. You have it in you you heal beyond all expectations so DO IT!! Remember the Spedo. No man that can pull that off and look good doing it can be defeated. :eek:)

Dios te bendiga amigo. You da bomb buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom