Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speculation always fills a void of facts, for better or worse. Especially on the board. People drop an interesting pebble of info and everyone builds a mountain around it.

...so now, after all of the drama of the original 'accident', we can watch the civil war erupt between which 'Mau' is the new preferred dive op for the old loyalists, and wonder if either of (or both) dive ops become so gun shy about offering more interesting/advanced dives (risk averse) that they will no longer popular to their old clientel.

...so now, after all of the drama of the original 'accident', we can watch the civil war erupt between which 'Mau' is the new preferred dive op for the old loyalists, and wonder if either of (or both) dive ops become so gun shy about offering more interesting/advanced dives (risk averse) that they will no longer popular to their old clientel.
This statement could use some more detail. I have never dived with either and know nothing of these dives. Are you talking about normal recreational dives to the more challenging sites (say Barracuda or Maracaibo), or do you speak of something else?

I really hope it doesn't erupt into a war, because life is just too short for such things.

My preference for the boyz' Scuba Mau would be to continue with the same business formula that made them the popular dive op they are today.

I guess it all depends on how Opal ran the dive shop, if she had systems in place and the place basically ran itself, then with her unfortunately gone there is a chance the new owners could keep it going as if nothing happened, if she didn't run it that way then it's like the typical dive operation and it might not take too long before it changes for the good or bad and either runs itself into the ground or maybe thrives better than before.

But a lot of dive operations I know are like a lot of small businesses elsewhere, where the owner/operator is the personality that the dive shop takes on. They basically are the business and without them there is no business. I don't know how Scuba Mau was ran, however I don't see a lot of dive shops being franchised, so I'd have to wager the place is probably like most small businesses, the lose of the founder, over time will probably change and not resemble what it was originally. Of course that could be a good thing, a metamorphasis to something resembling Opals shop but even better, others know better than me about the details of the shop.

Last edited:
I think the shop can survive as long as the current biuz are running it. Both Opal and Mau have told me how good their office guys were.

The new name for the shop has been posted on the Rally page on facebook.

Laurie, they are still monitoring Opal's email address, if you did not get a response, I would try again, it might not have gotten through to them.

I dove with the Boyz this past week, bittersweet for me because my communications began with Opal in July and I just fell in love with her personality via email and couldn't wait to meet her. They were very professional in how they handled communicating the accident to me and that along with wanting to help keep Opal's Dream going for a lady I'm sad I didn't get to meet, I dove with them and had the best experience. Victor, Joseph, Eddie, Julio, Monkey and everyone else...they took excellent care of us and I'm looking forward to diving with them for many years to come :)

Well...

We all know that nothing stays the same, especially after a big change. Hoping the Boyz do well with their new opportunities and lives. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom