Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one knows why? Well if you knew that particular dive guide you would know he is very well known for diving like this and has done it with customers before.

I enjoy 'deep' dives as well, and would do a bounce dive on air to maybe 200' or so....but 300' is way out of sane bounds!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Several posts have been removed. Please keep this discussion focused on the accident.

Eventually this thread may be moved to the A&I forum.

Thank you

This is such a sad accident. I wish all 3 divers a full & speedy recovery. I also hope the details will be shared so that we can learn from this accident.

About the best thing that could come out of this is if divers realize that just because someone else is goes somewhere doesn't mean you should follow.

I certainly hope everybody comes out of this OK, but I also have to say that I can't conceive of how four people could "accidentlaly" do a 300' dive.

flots.

Last edited:
I agree with Reefhound, and a down current has been my suspicion right from the first post. We don't hear of them all that often but they exist & have been discussed before. One or more of them could have been swept away & those able would try to help.

Also I really have a hard time understanding the need of some to post very speculative information based on nothing but their suspicions of something they weren't a part of, weren't involved with nor were they informed of the plan in any way. Guessing the cause of something like this based on rumors & then posting it on the internet is a good way to loose the respect of other readers, and once you're proven wrong my guess is that you'll fade away rather than post an apology. Unless you have facts that can be verified it's best to just keep with the theme of hoping for a good outcome and offering a supportive message, not condemnation because you think yourself better than the rest of us.

About the best thing that could come out of this is if divers realize that just because your dive guide is willing to go somewhere doesn't mean you should follow.

I certainly hope everybody comes out of this OK, but I also have to say that I can't conceive of how four people could "accidentlaly" do a 300' dive.

Unfortunately, everyone is totally speculating at this stage! There is no indication that I have seen that would point toward either a planned dive profile to that depth or an accident.

I would be inclined to encourage everyone to stop the speculation and simply wait for the facts to come out (as I am sure they will with time).

The most constructive thing that can be done at this time is to keep them in your thoughts and prayers and realize what a devastating event this is for all of them and their family and friends.

I look forward to seeing more details as they surface. Thanks Kev for making us aware of of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom