SCUBA accident in Pool - Scuba Instructor Drowns While Testing Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most rebreather guys I know feel that way.

scubapolly:
I missed this thread when it was originally posted. Reading it now, does anyone find the two postings by Rob (BigJetDriver) to be downright erie knowing what happend to him almost exactly a year later?
I was just telling my wife that exact same thing before I even got to you post.
Just reminds me how much I miss Rob on this board.

alscubagal:
I have a few questions for this thread......as you can see im new to this whole thing....Blueboy, who are you???...

although i have been following up with this thread...and im curious about the rebreathers....im not a scubadiver...just someone with questions...if David would to have been knocked unconscience due to the rebreathers the only way he could of die was if his lungs filled with water and drowned.... if his lungs didn't fill... what other possible explaination could their be for the cause of his death that includes the malfunctioning of a rebreather????

I don't really understand your question. "who am I????
I can tell you what I'm not, I'm not the police. They are the only ones that will give u a exact "cause of death". I don't think theres much more i know that hasnt been covered on scubaboard and the newpapers.

As for rebreather question, i don't dive a rebreather. Some of the rebreather guys would be better at answering those questions.

heart attack, rebreather malfunction, others things that i have no clue about.
There are more than one possible cause of death. If you find out let me know.
Good luck

Al Mialkovsky:
I don't believe that we've ever had the final results of the investigation published here have we as this thread is a few months old.

I found this dated 7th July 2005, 2 months after the incident

Fatality A Mystery
Investigators remain stumped over the drowning of David Rampersad, 42, Richmond Hill, N.Y. The experienced instructor and avid local diver died while training on a rebreather at the shallow end of the pool at Chaminade High School, Mineola, while a class was under way at the deep end. He was pulled from the water and given cardiovascular pulmonary resuscitation after instructors noticed that he was motionless and no longer had the mouthpiece in his mouth. A cursory inspection of the gear showed no defects, although Rampersad had said that he was having problems with the device.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...+Rampersad"+pool&hl=pt-BR&gl=br&ct=clnk&cd=10

i don't know about rebreathers but i heard... if the rebreather fills with water and the persons lungs fill with water there is no way to figure out the cause of death. Is this true?

Blueboy, i just want to know who you were to David Rampersad because you pulled him out of the water.... i wanted to know who pulled him out....

Back
Top Bottom