scuba and handguns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Butch103
And in english....How effective are guns underwater ??(I am talking handguns...whether they are Glock, H & K or whatever)
About 15-20 years ago here was an article written about firing a Randall (a now-defunct 1911 clone made out of SS) underwater. The author was amazed in that if you fired into water the bullet traveled only a couple feet. Fired underwater it went 15 or so feet.

As a contact weapon it’d be very devastating, because the bullet will punch the hole, and all the gas behind it will do some pretty gruesome damage.

Hey, you asked. :)

I seem to remember some Discovery channel thing about commercial abalone divers carrying Glocks for sharks, but I don’t remember any details.

Roak

Originally posted by artsprite
Be careful of saying boy's toys. I happen to love handguns, and other guns as well. In fact I have my concealed handgin license. But, you have to understand Texan's love of firearms and shooting in general. I was taught to shoot at the age of 8. I have my eye on a couple a guns that I'd like to have in addition to the three I already own. So.... not just for boys!!!

I'll bet I'm as least as good a shot as you. Maybe better.

One of the women from my town is on the board of the NRA. She's also a famous actress.

The phrase "Boys with Toys" was used for 2 reasons. 1. the thread was started by a guy named Ed. 2. the majority of people who have posted on this thread have been guys, for whatever reason, I do not care to speculate.

Nowhere did I say 'just for boys'. It is great that you appreciate firearms, but please don't take the above quoted 3 words to mean that I have some sort of bias against women and guns. You should've heard the reaction when I told a couple of teens that the .300mag they were looking at used to be my grandmother's. Enough on that subject though.

As for being a better shooter... you very well may be.

No more nomex, please.

Maybe it didn't sound like it Kane(adian) but I was just havin' fun with ya! But, I am a good shot!

Ok, since no one would bite as to the other piece besides the H & K I will give it away ... Some of you may remember other rants Ive made concerning this other beauty as well.

My #2 choice was and is the H & K line ...

In recent times my #1 choice as well as the US Special Forces has been what I believe to be the best made handgun in existance. The SF left them briefly for the H & K but quickly went right back, and anyone that knows anything about them or has ever fired one knows exactly WHY!

Haven't you all figured out who it is yet?

SIGARMS aka SIG SAUER ...

I've owned a hickory dickory Glock (or 2) ... but then I quickly saw I was downgrading my standards, and it was all too easy to find another sucker to pawn it off onto ...

Ever notice that Gun shops alllllllways have Glocks on Consignment ... Like a dozen or two of them ... and MAYBE 1 single Sig ... and when asked the shop owner always says about the Glocks, "The owner wanted to upgrade" ... and when asked about the Sig, 1 of 2 things are said, "They cried big alligator tears but they needed the money" or "They figured 3 of the same gun was 1 too many and they are selling this one to buy ANOTHER Model Sig!"

My personal Fav? (the CIA/FBI Fav) ... The P229 purchased in .357Sig and then ordered a Barstow Match Grade .40cal barrel. The trigger kit worked down to about a 2.5-3 lb. pull and a nice pair of finger fitting rubber grips. (And almost exclusive to the Sig's is their FAMOUS ability to NEVER "Double Cook" even with that light of a pull and NEVER JAMS ... even with those crappy reloads you buy on the bargin shelf used for breaking it in on those first 2500 rounds)
Reliability, quality, accuracy? Second only to the next model they come out with. In other words - NONE!

I wont claim that it is as accurate as my Ruger Mark II Match .22 - But come on now, that's not even fair - I mean, what pistol is that accurate. I figured I better mention that because there is always someone that wants to bring that one up. Even the German Luger Style Mark I's were WAY ahead of their time. (and yes I still have mine)

Green_Manelishi - Glocks cannot be beat (melted yes, beat no)

Spoken like a TRUE Glock Owner!

What planet do you fantasize on?

Come visit Earth sometime!

Ontario Diver, You'll know why I am asking ... but ...

Ya think this is a fair bet to take? hehe - *grin*

artsprite - I'll bet I'm as least as good a shot as you. Maybe better.

Ok, you're on, hehe

My fantasies are NOT firearms related :)

As for Glock I stand by my statement "they cannot be beat". SIG is fine, HK is fine. Owned all of them in my life and more than a few others to boot.

I won't argue that for accuracy out of the box and
for a "production" gun you are going have to search far and
wide for something more accurate than a HK or SIG.

The Glock, as originally designed, was a no-frills military weapon. Too bad the lawyers, PO-lese and civilians wanted to change some of what made it a Glock. Were I in the market for another
handgun (not firing rifle cartridges) I'd probably buy a Glock.

Thank you very much and remember to watch the FRONT sight.

Can you beat a Glock for the price, though? It's been a while, but as I recall both Sig and HK cost more than a Glock. :)

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom