Suggestion Scuba Camping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Shipwreckscanada

Shipwreckscanada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Scuba Camping

I do a lot of local diving. As a result I also do a lot of local camping and I’m not alone. I was wondering if a new category could be introduced on scuba camping. That might even be its title, “Scuba Camping.”

There are a lot of unique challenges when combining the two, real nice adventures as well.

Just a thought

Need 18 more people to get it considered.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_faq_new_forum

So you want a new forum?

You need to think about the following:

Is the subject suitable for ScubaBoard?
Is it necessary, isn't this subject already covered by another forum?
Is it to be a private forum? If so, for which group? Any specific access restrictions (ie read-only etc.)?

Got that covered?

Good, next thing you need to do is to start a thread in Suggestions (part of Site Support).

Also, you'll need at least twenty interested members who'll back your proposal.

Finally, the ScubaBoard Staff will consider your proposal and create the forum if approved.

Please note that any forum may also be removed due to inactivity.

Any questions? Send us a message!

'Camping' can entail a pretty diverse range of activities. For some, it might mean driving an RV to a trailer park. Others might think of pitching a tent in a campground area, and building a fire with whatever wooden debris is around (if any). I haven't camped since I was in 3rd grade; my parents moved us to the country & made it redundant.

Are you talking about camping somewhere, and 'diving on the side,' or are you talking about hiking to unofficial dive sites, and camping in order to stay a couple of days? If the latter, I would imagine hauling gear, particularly weights and tanks, would be an issue.

Are you mainly thinking shore diving or boat diving?

Richard.

I camp in a gooseneck 3 horse trailer with tanks in the back and living quarters in the front. Works great for us.

Count me in. It's looking like I'm going to start camping again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in. I have camped while diving at Tobermory ON and Gloucester MA. Would love info on where others go.

Scuba Camping

I do a lot of local diving. As a result I also do a lot of local camping and I’m not alone. I was wondering if a new category could be introduced on scuba camping. That might even be its title, “Scuba Camping.”

There are a lot of unique challenges when combining the two, real nice adventures as well.

Just a thought

Camping ?

Like staying at a motel without room service? :D

Sounds like a great idea for a forum ,great combination to get out and enjoy both activities

I would like to elaborate as to the reasons why I feel this would make a good forum category.

This would be a public forum that will deal with scuba diving while camping. I don’t think the type of camping should be restricted. RV’s, popup’s, tent’s, from the back of a van, no difference. Campgrounds, or hiking into the woods is the same as long as the two, camping and diving are the main events.

I believe the category would attract questions and comments on many different scuba subjects such as follows.

Daily living at a campsite:
How do I wash and dry my gear?
How to be ready for an emergency
Where do I get my cylinders filled?
Will my diving disturb other campers?
What are the camping rules on diving from the campground?
What if the weather turns bad?
What about my non-diving family?
What do I do with my dog?
What other activities could I include, games, parties?

Sharing experiences:
Where you camped and dived?
How you got together with other divers?
What after diving activities you shared such as food and drink around a camp fire?
Why camping is better than a hotel, or vice versa?
Places to visit?
Sharing photos and videos

This forum could be used as a means to organize an outing:
In my experience, I’m never the only diver when I camp at a site known for diving. People come from miles around on long weekend and holidays. We exchange phone numbers but having a forum specific for camping and diving would make it easier to announce and organize a local dive group.

Special equipment, purchased or homemade
It’s surprising the things people think of that makes life easier under these conditions. For instance, how do I get my gear from my campsite to the water front without a vehicle?
What type of camper, tent works best for you?
What type of vehicle do you need to pull your camper?
What about diving from a small boat, canoe or kayak?

Please feel free to contribute your ideas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom