Suggestion Scuba Camping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Shipwreckscanada

Shipwreckscanada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Scuba Camping

I do a lot of local diving. As a result I also do a lot of local camping and I’m not alone. I was wondering if a new category could be introduced on scuba camping. That might even be its title, “Scuba Camping.”

There are a lot of unique challenges when combining the two, real nice adventures as well.

Just a thought

I think it's great, 90% of our open water training/diving is camping on weekends, about a 4 hour drive away. These are the many lakes in Jasper and Banff national parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to camp and dive all the time. I haven't had a chance in a few years but I will
again.
I used to put on a huge annual campout that centered around diving. All the locations we picked were right at the waters edge and shore diving or kayak/ boat was right there. It was the most fun I ever had.
I learned a lot in the many years I've been doing it and I could pass on a lot of info on how to make it work really well.
All my camping and diving is done on the Northern California coast where campgrounds seem to be everywhere, dozens of them. A lot of the draw is to freedive for abalone but we tank dive just as much. A lot of what we do is hunt, then we make a big to do about cooking and preparing the fresh catch.
I've camped at some very unimproved places where you pretty much have to pack everything in and out, to very improved with power, water, showers, flush toilets, fish cleaning stations, etc.
Our campouts became so elaborate that I even had a full blown portable tiki bar that I built that we'd set up complete with thatched roof and lighting, a full commercial kitchen complete with a few proffesional chefs that used to make it up, and a big commercial style BBQ. Then another guy would bring a digital projector and a lap top and we would hang a big white sheet on the side of one of our trailers and watch Sea Hunt DVD's at night. We would sometimes get 50 to 60 people show up. All divers or friends of friends. It was quite a shindig.
I even posted about it on SB few times and got people from here.
Every campground I've ever been to allows dogs but some charge extra and most have leash rules.
Also every place we've camped had a dive shop on the coast somewhere within reasonable driving distance, but I usually came prepared with enough back up gear and tanks to keep me going the whole trip.

I think it's a great idea for a forum.

Feraget state park in id. Cabins are on the water. Great fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added October 13th, 2015 at 10:19 PM ----------

Its camping, rain who cares, ur wet anyway. Uur burning air , fun, fun, and more fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great forum idea :) I just did a search and found your thread because I'm planning on camping on our long weekend coming up and was debating the 'is it worth mucking around to charge my camera all weekend'. Luckily friends of mine have a compressor so we're sorted for air!

There's tons of camping info in the FL Megadive threads.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pete, when we dive and camp, it's not always basic as I run OW to tec and it's certainly not a vacation.......I think there might be more of this than you'd think........hey, aren't there trailer parks by the ocean in Florida?[emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom