Scuba Club Cozumel Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, Frank, looks like we were there at the same time last year. We arrived mid-week though. Were you with one of those big groups? On Saturday the resort was dead after all those groups left, then we only had about a dozen divers and only one boat went out for the rest of our trip. It was funny - resort was full one week then it was almost empty the next!

robin:D

Wow, Frank, looks like we were there at the same time last year. We arrived mid-week though. Were you with one of those big groups? On Saturday the resort was dead after all those groups left, then we only had about a dozen divers and only one boat went out for the rest of our trip. It was funny - resort was full one week then it was almost empty the next!

robin:D
It was just my wife & I. A big group had one of the boats and we shared the other boat with the rest of the guests.
I'm pretty sure the reason it was dead the second week was because the week we were there was the week the 'swine flu' thing exploded. At the end of the week, there were no cruise ships and the town was pretty much deserted except for the divers (and locals). It was so much nicer that way. My guess is that more than a few people cancelled their trips to Mexico.
Does that ring a bell?
Hey, if you were there, we probably dove together. I think our DMs name was Manuel, but I'm not sure. Here a picture of him on one of the drift dives (oh wait, they all were drift dives!).
Rainbow_parrotfish2.jpg

nope, we were on the smaller boat with Alberto on Thurs and Fri.

oops, just looked at your dates again, we were there the last week of March, not April. duh!

The swine flu thing started the week after we got back home. I actually wasn't feeling well, fever and chills, the day we got home (Wed, April 1st) and was sick for a week and couldn't even eat. We thought it was just a weird case of Montezuma, but then they started talking about the swine flu in Mexico City on TV. So we aren't sure if that is what I had or if I did get it when we went over to mainland to visit PDC and Chichen Itza. A few weeks later is when the cruise ships issues started.

robin

A nice daily tip for housekeeping will reward you with above and beyond imaginative towel sculptures upon return from morning dives.:amazed: They will even incorporate your own travel mascots.

I'm in the process of planning my next dive vacation and am considering SCC as my #1 choice. I travel alone. I am wondering if anyone can provide feedback on attending alone. Are there dive buddies to be found? I presume that on the boat dives you are generally with a group so its not really an issue. However, i would also like to do some shore dives. Can any of you who have been there tell me if it would be likely for me to find someone to shore dive with etc. at SCC? Were there other solo divers there?

my husband and i have spent a total of 5 weeks at SCC in 2009 and 2010. we loved it! the whole place is for divers and everyone is very friendly. we always buddied together, but there were lots of other divers on our boats who were either alone, or in groups with odd numbers of people. each evening you sign up at the dive shop to dive the following morning. then early in the morning, the DM's divide up the divers into the boats. so they just even up the groups and assign people to dive together. i don't think it was ever a problem. we met lots of great people this way.
everyone eats breakfast and lunch together in a fairly small dining area, so usually at meals you meet up with the same people you are diving with. this is the time to make friends and talk to others about doing some shore diving, or signing up for one or more of the optional afternoon or night dives that are only offered when enough people sign up. the shore diving is literally right off the dock in front of SCC, so it is not hard to arrange. i'm fairly certain that you could find someone go shore diving with. certainly your chances of this would be WAY better at SCC than anywhere else i could think of (since most other hotels have more non-divers).
have fun!

It is my experience that the dive operation will do its best to accommodate your requests. You can also talk to the other divers and organize a group of like-minded people.

FWIW, Devil's Throat is not a great dive. You drop down to ninety feet, enter under a ledge, swim down through a dark tunnel, exit the wall at 130 feet, and then come up to do your safety stop. I would much rather spend more time on Palancar/Colombia reefs or a shallow reef where there's lots to see and I can spend more bottom time. Warning, your mileage may vary.

Solo diving -- shore. Yes, yes, and yes.
SCC does not care if you solo dive at their shore site. In fact, we had a couple of people there who go there specifically for that reason. They are all photographers (like my husband), and the fact that many dive destinations do not allow solo diving from shore brings them back to SCC. In fact, my husband did 2 solo night dives there last week, and on more than one occasion we saw solo divers out there. It is 20-24' deep and the current is usually quite manageable. If the current gets strong, you just stay closer to shore. Easy peasy.

And I agree with Jlyle.... Devil's Throat is a thrill dive, and most people who do it say it was okay but won't waste a dive doing it again. There are so many better dives in Cozumel. We did Punta Sur Cathedral this trip (south of the throat, in and out of swimthroughs, then over top of the throat) and it was an okay dive. Vis was pretty silty/sandy though, and since it was 100' deep, our bottom time was very limited. I am glad we did it but I would rather do Palancar - Bricks or Horseshoe or Deep or Gardens, or do Columbia Deep.

robin

One more question - Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread. Who did you guys use to book Scuba Club Cozumel? They have no on-line booking system. I was looking at either Island Dreams Dive Travel (website) or Caradonna Worldwide Dive Adventures (website) but I have never used either in the past. Who did you guys use to book with SCC?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom