Scuba Diver Death near Lajas, Puerto Rico - Articles dated 12/31/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
An article was posted today (December 31, 2012) on Caribbean Business describing a scuba-related death near Lajas, Puerto Rico.

Here is the link:

Scuba diver dies off southwest PR - Caribbean Business

The information also appears here:

Cornelius man dies off Puerto Rico | CharlotteObserver.com

Here is some additional information in Spanish. If you do not speak Spanish, please remember that some of the translation services may not be quite correct when rendering the information in a different language.

Turista fallece ahogado en playa La Parguera de Lajas

Se ahoga turista en La Parguera - El Nuevo Día

Muere ahogado turista en La Parguera - WAPA.tv - Noticias - Videos

Last edited:
Translation of one of the articles in Spanish would seem to indicate that he was short of breath during the dive. This could indicate a medical issue (heart attack, immersion pulmonary edema) occurred while underwater. (If he ran out of air during the dive or a major equipment malfunction, I would think the article would read differently than "short of breath".)

Another article seems to indicate an autopsy is being performed but short of talking with the family after the completion of it, I'm not sure how to find out more of what happened.

Translation of one of the articles in Spanish would seem to indicate that he was short of breath during the dive. This could indicate a medical issue (heart attack, immersion pulmonary edema) occurred while underwater. (If he ran out of air during the dive or a major equipment malfunction, I would think the article would read differently than "short of breath".)

Another article seems to indicate an autopsy is being performed but short of talking with the family after the completion of it, I'm not sure how to find out more of what happened.

thanks for the translation. Not any different than the English version.

Condolences to the family as this truly is a sad event. My understanding is that it occured early on to the dive and that the operation who chartered the vessel were ill equipped to deal with the emergency.

I don't believe I have all the facts in what did occur but from what I heard it doesn't sound like the operation stayed at the dive site while the dive was being conducted and had to be called in once the dive ended tragically.

From any of the articles does it mention what dive operation it was?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom