Scuba diver dies while exploring popular shipwreck, a third tragedy in the Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a Duane death in May, Vanderburg missing/dead last week, Spiegel Grove in this accident. That is a lot of Keys Wreck accidents over a short period of time…
I feel like last year deaths were higher than this year.

I don't find the dive over the top. Sure, the bottom of the vessel is deep, but you can mull around 80-90' all you like with plenty to see. If you are average on air, you can get 18-20 mins of bottom time.
Did the article say that the diver was penetrating?
While it's true that you can hang out in one area at 80-90 ft, the Spiegel Grove is huge, and it's tempting to want to swim somewhere (and back). One really needs to have a plan. "Be back at the boat with 500 psi" is difficult to achieve on the fly on such a large, tempting wreck. I dove it a couple of times on a single (rental Al 80), and after the last one I decided that just doesn't give me enough gas. I use the Rock Bottom or Minimum Gas method, which is pretty conservative. For me, the Spiegel means I need a big tank (or tanks) and a real plan. Also, the unpredictable current can throw a wrench into a plan, so that should be taken into account.

There is plenty for a few dives without penetrating. Plus another dive or two if you go into the swim throughes like to see Snoopy. Probably dozens of dives if you are penetrating as a tech diver.

If you stick to the Super Structure they cut that thing up pretty well to make most of it classified as a swim through, at least for the top two decks (O-2 and O-3 IIRC). Though the middle deck (O-2 IIRC) is more sketchy and that is where the Snoopy is, because the when you are in the hallway you have to make it to an outer compartment where they made the cut outs. While the top deck is a little safer as you have the cut outs in the overhead.

@Capt Jim Wyatt Knows the wreck pretty well having served on it in addition to diving it as a pro. So he might to be able to correct any errors, as I am going on memory it has been a couple of years since I've hit the SG.

Well, that makes you, me and one other notable member here who were all certified in 1986 by the now defunct YMCA. I thought YMCA was absorbed by some other agency, not NAUI ?
The instructor (Assistant Professor) of my univ course gave students the option of receiving either a NAUI card, YMCA card, or PADI card (or any two or all three!).

rx7diver

The instructor (Assistant Professor) of my univ course gave students the option of receiving either a NAUI card, YMCA card, or PADI card (or any two or all three!).

rx7diver
I too took it as a college course, best course I took in 4 years. I didn't get those options, I would likely have chosen PADI and I had never even known that YMCA gave Scuba certs out. Now that card is like a vintage or collectors item thing.

I think you are correct and yes I too used tables during that class. Computers weren't a thing.
Yes, the Orca PDC became available here (central MO) a couple of years later. Crazy price when introduced, IIRC.

ETA: Most of the certies opted for the NAUI card--because reputation/status.

rx7diver

There was still ice on the lake I got certified on in early May since that was the coldest snowiest Winter in quite awhile. I wore a 7mm wetsuit and the water was in the 40s, it was crazy. We just had gauges and tables at that time.

We are derailing the thread a bit...

When I got my YMCA Card (used USN tables for class), there was an option to pay a small fee and get a CMAS card. I was a broke college student, and didn't know it could have been a cool option to get. They ceased the cross-over when the YMCA program went under..

Back to the thread at hand...

Snoopy was far more confined than I expected when I went through it. Definitely switched into on point mode real fast for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom