Scuba diver hooked between the legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking at the size of the hook this one makes me wince just to think about it.....

Angler reels in his biggest catch... a scuba diver he hooked between the legs | Mail Online

A fisherman fought to reel in what he thought was the biggest catch of his angling career, only to find he had actually caught a scuba diver.

..snip..

The diver was about 50ft from the shore when his wetsuit was caught between the legs and after he was pulled ashore his girlfriend carefully plucked the hook free.

Comment by fisherman:
'When I told my wife, she just said she was glad I didn't bring him home, as she couldn't have eaten a whole one.'

Holy near misses. I'm cringing at the thought.

to avoid this i use a dive flag and talk to the fishermen on the pier
we tell then our dive plan and they will happily mover to the other side of the pier while we are diving
Sometimes they tell us they lost a crab pot if we see it we bring it back for them that keeps them happy and the sharp hooks out of the water

now if we are diving the west side of the pier and the fisher get the east side and we swim over to the east side and get hooked it's our fault

Right now the salmon are running in Puget Sound. What that means to divers is that people aren't confining their fishing to piers ... they're lined up almost shoulder-to-shoulder on some of the beaches that are traditionally used for diving classes. They're casting into some of our most popular dive sites, using big lures with treble hooks on 'em. Overhead, fishing boats are trolling ... many using downrigger balls with steel leader, which does not cut easily. On a recent dive I found an old sunken fishing boat that had been moved a few feet, probably by one of those trollers using a downrigger ball. It's at 80 feet, and is typically a popular dive destination because until it got moved there was a giant octopus living underneath it (now gone, den exposed). The tribes are moving up and down Elliot Bay with nets ... going right over popular diving sites.

It's a great time to be extra careful ... and look up once in a while to see what might be heading your way ... most fishermen don't much care about dive flags ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We once had a fisherman throwing hooks into bubbles, the Capt was yelling & hailing on the radio trying to get them to stop. They snagged a diver and tried to reel her in. We later found out they snagged her glove at about 30 ft on her way to her safety stop. Caught by the hand she couldn't easily reach her cutting device, but her buddy reached her in time to release her for a long 15 foot safety stop after a 90ft dive. We reported the incident to FWC officers who consider this attempted manslaughter since a diver yanked up from depth could get DCI with serious consequences.

Glad no one was seriously injured. Where there is fishing, be very very careful and ultra-alert. Most fishermen do not understand the potential serious consequences of diving or the safety hazards they present to divers.

The shear amount of monofilament on some of our favorite sites is a scary entanglement hazard (and pollution).

<end rant>

I've never been hooked by a fisherman but I have been hooked by his trash.
2 lessons learned that day. Never yank your leg when you get snagged by something and always carry a knife. I got lucky this hook got caught in my fin and not my leg. I carry this in my dry box as a reminder to keep an eye out for fishing line.
HPIM1508.JPG

I'm not surprised; in fact, I predicted it:

I don't think the dead diver scenario is that likely. It's just too hard to reel a diver in fast enough to embolize him. I see an ear maybe, or perhaps a scrotum, ripped in half by a fish hook. I am interested in negotiating for the video rights in advance, before it goes viral. We could have a tiered price structure that rewards the OP more for donating a testicle than some ear cartilage.

PM me, Porkfried! If things go well you will be able to afford a rebreather--and a prosthetic testicle!

:D

With less than 20 dives after training I was hooked in the right shoulder strap and flipped over underwater. Before I even reached for my knife my buddy cut me loose. We were in 40ft of water appox. 100ft from shore. Towing a flag. Don't know if I swam into it or if the fisherman cast past me and the line came down on me. Either way, with how hard he pulled to set the hook he sure thought he had a big one. Guess he did until he pulled back a cut line. When we returned after the dive the fisherman was gone.

When diving off charters at wreck sites, often there are fishing boats moored off at the same location. Watched an actual fish being fought on a line during a dive on the Spiegel Grove. Until a large Barracuda had his way with it. Was the high lite of that dive.

Hello Guys,

My friend got hooked by a trolled Rapala lure on his wetsuit arm. Lucky not his flesh and lucky the leader was mono and not cable, so he managed to cut it with his dive knife before sportfisherman reeled him in.:D

I had one close call in 2003. We were diving a very big Japanese wreck of at least 500 feet long. Water viz as usual is under 12 feet.
We had our dive boat a 53 footer yacht on the surface as support. We had floats on the surface to mark us divers.

While diving at the sandy bottom at approx 100 feet, we saw big ropes were dragged close by and passing us.:confused:
When we surfaced, the we learnt that after we descent, some minutes later a traditional fisherman boat set their nets. The dive boat captain have horned the fisherman, speak loud on the loudhailer .........block fisherman path with the 53 footer and still the traditional fisherman team set their nets. I know this fishermen ways of thinking, they think they own the sea.

So the rope we saw, was the rope from the net that got stuck on the wreck and was cut off by the sharp wreck. If we were on the top deck of the wreck, we could have been "netted".......:( , we were near the bottom and that rope was a broken rope from the net ). The fisherman damaged their net bad and they nearly got us. This is about the closest encounter I have with any "fishing" incident while diving.

DANGERS NEAR THE SURFACE
Usually small fisherman boat will pass by our surface marker float like they want to get close to see what the hell is the float. They do not understand a diver down flag mind you. I had my sausage pulled by them fisherman a few times. Every time I do a safety stop, I will launch my surface marker from at least 20 meters and spend 3 minutes at 3 meters. If I don't pay attention to their propellers sound, I would have been hit by their props more than once during ascend to the surface. Indonesian fisherman is still very backwards is some area.

The only time I will do a quick descend to 12 meters while doing safety stop at 3 meters is, when I hear a heavy but low RPM rumble. That is a huge propeller turning slow and that must be a vessel with very deep draft. One wreck I like diving lies on a commercial vessel route where there is a power station receiving coal shipment and oil tankers frequent the area. It is 3 miles from shore but water depth is only 140 feet. I keep asking the dive boat to act as barrier but some very big vessels are difficult to maneuver and sometime we need to give way to them..........that's when my ears come to play. Hence I never like to dive even with the thinnest of hood. My UW hearing get impared by a hood. I really am scared when I hear the low RPM rumble. What if the draft of the vessel is more than 12 meters ??? Not likely for that area since there but there is a possibility.

Dive safe guys.......

I have seen fishermen in a small boat right on the Prince Albert wreck in the front yard of Cocoview resort. If the manager is on site (and he usually is)he chases them off but one evening we saw them out there and when we pointed it out to one of the local divemasters she said,"well they as much right to be there as the divers". We pointed out that actualy they didn't. It is closed to fishing but I could see she was not convinced that the locals should be "banned" from utilizing their native resource. This was a consistant problem during our last stay there. A couple of yachtsmen from over by Fantasy Island were busted 3 times that week. Finally the manager got the authorities on them and the problem was resolved. Only to have the locals there the next night. Sigh

Back
Top Bottom