Scuba divers as % of U.S. Population

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlj3071

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been trying to answer what seems to be a reasonably simple question, but have had lots of difficulty in coming up with an answer. To wit: What percentage of the U.S. population are certified SCUBA divers? As a follow up question: What is the average age (either median or mean) of certified divers in the U.S.?

Any pointers to places I might look to find these answers would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

I remember trying to extrapolate this number once. I don't know how accurate my efforts were, but this is what I did.

PADI are reported to train 70% of divers in the US (Professional Association of Diving Instructors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and PADI certification statistics are pretty readily available on its website (Statistics, Graphs & History about PADI Scuba Diving Certification, Diving Instructors' Membership & Resorts).

Where it gets tricky is that you don't know how many of those who were certified are still diving (or even still alive). I seem to recall ending up with a figure of around 0.4% of the US population though.

Can't really help on mean or median ages though.

The national diver's association here in Norway estimated 0.75% of the population to be active divers. As 0.125% is certified every year, the number of certified divers is likely to be much higher.

DAN Fatalities Workshop held in April 2010 had a presentation on this topic. Go to Divers Alert Network website and you can find it. The estimate was 2.5 to 3 million divers as I recall but the details of the estimation is worth reading

Ummmm, call DEMA.

They will know.

Actually, from what I can tell, DEMA doesn't know - because the certifying agencies and many of the DEMA members are quite tight-lipped on the matter.

Tom

PADI in a seminar at this years DEMA indicated the total US diving population was approximately 1%. I don't know where they got the number but I particularly noted how small that was. After 15 years in the industry I was shocked at the low nature of that number.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom