Scuba Diving as a Career

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are prepared to live on minimum wage, work 12-16 hours a day, 7 days-a-week for the opportunity to be underwater several times a day, every day...with maybe the chance to travel and work in varied locations, then go for it.

It is an amazing career... but trust me, you will have to sacrifice a lot to enjoy it.

If you are prepared to live on minimum wage, work 12-16 hours a day, 7 days-a-week for the opportunity to be underwater several times a day, every day...with maybe the chance to travel and work in varied locations, then go for it.

It is an amazing career... but trust me, you will have to sacrifice a lot to enjoy it.

Underwater several times a day for 7 days? Sounds awesome. Seriously though, I've perused this board, I've talked to instructors, I know that diving isn't something that pays a lot of money, but who gets into diving for the money? I have other options, one is law school, but when I think about the pros and cons of a career as a lawyer vs. diving as a career the pros of diving far outweigh the pros of being a lawyer. Just getting through law school would mean going into a hundred thousand dollars worth of debt. When I think about life as a lawyer I think I would make plenty of money and be able to support a family, but would I be happy working 80 hour weeks with little time to do things such as scuba dive? I haven't met one instructor that has said they were unhappy doing what they were doing.

Many instructors don't last long in the industry. My advice would be to attend/complete Law School... and build up to instructor status during that time. You could always take a sabbatical or Gap Year to work in scuba during your studies.

It's best to get into diving as a career with some $$$'s in the bank....

It pays very little and the half life of the average instructor is on the order of two years, people don't tend to last very long.

Asams,

The life of a diving instructor is as varied as the climates in which one works and the courses that one teaches.

When you're a kid, the "lifestyle" might be some far off exotic location where you show up in board shorts and Oakley's and worry about paying your rent and keeping your work visa so you don't get thrown off the island while you teach lots of DSD's, do open water check out dives, and wonder if your fingers are calloused from filling tanks all night or from peeling lables off beer bottles while not being paid to hang out and play Julie the Cruise Director to people on vacation. You'll work hard while others play. You'll have lots of fun and some memories that others would kill to know. But, after a while, just like college frat parties, the carnival life on the water meets the stark reality of adult concerns and you begin making promises to yourself that you'll grow up at 25, 35, 45 ... then "it" hits you. That "it" is whatever causes you to look back and wonder whether you should have never quit your real job.

When you're an adult, being a scuba instructor is more like working a real job and much less glamorous than the "lifestyle" portrayed by Paul Walker in Into The Blue and that is marketed to divers to get them to Go Pro! Those who managed to keep one step ahead of "it" find better paying gigs than just teaching DSD's and filling tanks all day. Becoming a boat captain often gets one better pay and job security in paradise, but really limits the amount of diving you get to do. Others move into management roles and have the same schedules and headaches of managers everywhere, but the view from the office window might be better. Others will go on to start their own businesses and struggle with the same concerns of small business owners everywhere, but with the added challenge of negotiating "paradise politics" which often tries to remove foreigners and open up employment to locals. Some instructors end up going corporate and working office jobs much of the time at agency headquarters.

For some instructors, they have built successful businesses in places one wouldn't think people would enjoy diving. You could end up a technical instructor teaching trimix diving to students in the Pacific Northwest diving deep walls and stemming off the cold everyday with argon, drysuit insulation and a Starbuck's gift card. Or, you may find yourself living in the agricultural centers of Northern Florida and teaching a cave diving course while enjoying some breakfast biscuits and grits in a country store in the morning and swimming through gin clear water in tunnels that serpentine miles under the earth by afternoon.

If you're a teacher with summers off (not sure if you're teaching at a US base in Korea of what the Korean education calendar is like), PLEASE DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB! You have the ability to get a taste of the dream while being a responsible adult. There are marine science summer camps for youth in places like the Florida Keys, Catalina and the Bahamas where you might get a chance to continue to make a difference as an educator and a diving instructor. If that isn't enough for you, maybe arranging a sabbatical for a while while you go and experience the dream will allow you to make wise choices for yourself and your family if you have one.

Most instructors are not full-time, but teach part-time through local dive centers. A long career as a diving student and a diving instructor will take you to places you may not believe you'll want to go.

When I became an instructor at 21, I wanted to live the dream on some island where I'd spend my days teaching diving on reefs and my nights trying to find either the perfect Scandanavian flight attendant or the most erotic island girl.

At age 41, and the technical director for a training agency 20 years later, I'd like to be spending my days teaching cave diving, my Sunday's going to church to repent the sins of my youth, and my nights watching TV in a trailer with my girlfriend or having some grilled chicken over at Wayne's trailer and Amigo's Dive Center.

It's still a good time! :D

If you found this post helpful, could I have your healthcare plan?

Definitely agree with DevonDiver - finish your law degree before you embark on a diving career - seriously and if you're really keen, look at gap year opportunities. If your university has a scuba club, get involved with that and if not, look for a LDS.

There are Career Development Centres for some of the major agencies and they are equipped and able to train people from "zero to hero" - the pros and cons of which have been discussed here at length, but even though I used to work for one of these I would recommend getting as much experience as a Dive Master / Dive Con (or trainee) before you go for your Instructor Course.

Others have already given the warning but make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for, and wherever you go for training, make sure you know where you're going, research very thoroughly. This is a job, after all, and it can be hard work. Really hard work. Many instructors don't last long in the business - this is for several reasons - many people realise half way through their training that this wasn't for them after all, and hey-ho, back home they go. Some peope just run out of money, for some people it was a "life goal" or a gap year experience. And yes, some people are worked so hard by their employers they simply quit through exhaustion (I liked Thal's "half life" comment there - although in some places, the rate of decay is significantly quicker!)

Whatever you decide to do - good luck to you and I wish you well. If you need help or advice, as always, feel free to PM.

Cheers

C.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll definitely take into consideration what everyone said. For now I'll pursue my OW cert and go from there. Excited to finally get in the water again in a few weeks.

Don't forget insurance.
You need liability insurance in case students get hurt or worse during training under your supervision.

Hey Asams,

A bit of advice for you: If you want it go for it!!

There are many training facilities that have are Career Development Centers. Yo can talk to them and get to be a pro in 3 mounths full time training. You can find good training near your area, maybe in Thailand. Just google: Diving Colleges or Diving Career Development Centers.

I think going for a SCUBA Career is not expensive. Compare the USD 2500 - 5000 of a CDC Program to a BA degree in a "average" college and you will understand what I'm talking about.

Being a pro is also a good way of being underwater and getting paid for it if you already have a job. You can be a part time instructor.

I hope you find this usefull,

Underwater several times a day for 7 days? Sounds awesome. Seriously though, I've perused this board, I've talked to instructors, I know that diving isn't something that pays a lot of money, but who gets into diving for the money? I have other options, one is law school, but when I think about the pros and cons of a career as a lawyer vs. diving as a career the pros of diving far outweigh the pros of being a lawyer. Just getting through law school would mean going into a hundred thousand dollars worth of debt. When I think about life as a lawyer I think I would make plenty of money and be able to support a family, but would I be happy working 80 hour weeks with little time to do things such as scuba dive? I haven't met one instructor that has said they were unhappy doing what they were doing.

I say, if you really don't have the passion for law, do NOT go to law school. It'll be a big waste of time and money. Not all lawyers make a lot of money. The ones that do tend to live in areas far away from diving locales, so if they dive, it's only vacation diving. Law is not a good backup career, it has to be the primary career. There's so much studying you have to do, and passing the boards, and then maintaining that knowledge.

Don't choose your life's work based on how much potential money you'd make, you'll just end up hating your life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom