Scuba diving in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Small agents recommend places where they get the best commission or to make a quick dollar in their pocket... and unfortunately destroy the dive industry in many different aspects.

On exactly what evidence are you basing this assertion? It seems rather unethical to make such a broad accusation without offering up any specifics.

Last edited:
Hello!

When is your trip because it really depends of the monsoon if you should do diving on the East Coast or the West Coast. For me the best diving in Thailand are the Similan Islands.

Ko Tao is good to leanr scuba diving but not so much for great dive sites. The Surin Islands are also very beautiful.

Ask me if you need more details!

I am planning to be in Thailand around September/October....depending on how long I spend in Cambodia. I'm going to be coming from Sihanoukville and Koh Kong to cross the boarder into Thailand. From there, I'm pretty much open as to where I go and what I do.

I am planning to be in Thailand around September/October....depending on how long I spend in Cambodia. I'm going to be coming from Sihanoukville and Koh Kong to cross the boarder into Thailand. From there, I'm pretty much open as to where I go and what I do.
Since you are coming overland from the east, and at that time of year, it would make most sense to start off in the Gulf of Thailand at Samui/Tao, and if you get tired of that, come across to the Andaman side--maybe PhiPhi and Lanta since they are accessible from Krabi.

The trouble is that there's really no cheap and easy way to get from the Cambodia/Thai border to Tao/Samui. There's a flight on Bangkok Air from Trat to Samui, and if it were me, that's what I'd be doing, but judging by the swing in your date range, I'm guessing you're a budget traveler and want to avoid air transfers. Buses and trains have to go up to Bangkok and back down to Chumphon, AFAIK.

You won't be able to go to the Similans on the Andaman side in September at all, and in October there are a few trips scheduled, but they are by no means confirmed.

Thanks for your input, Phuket diver. I have just crossed Scuba Cat off my list of operators. It may interest you to know that I don't actually care whether my dive operator employs Thais or not.

As you are going to be in the East Thailand area, koh Chang is also worth consideration, there is reasonably good diving to be had and is also a great place to visit. It is close to the cambodian border and only a 20 minute ferry ride from the mainland.
One thing to take care about though is the weather conditions, however September / October is really the start of the diving season on the island, and certainly by october the worst of the rain has usually past. But we all know how unpredictable weather can be so worth checking out the conditions before making the diversion.
I usually dive with scuba Evolution when I go there, their main shop is based in White Sands, which is also the main resort on the Island, may be worth looking at their website and giving them a call nearer the time to check on conditions.
http://www.scuba-kohchang.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom