scuba diving or snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like both, for different conditions.

For shallow water (less than 40 feet), good visibility, no current, I like snorkeling. It is more natural, less hassle, and more challenging.

For deeper water, low visibility, high current, I like scuba.

It depends who I am with too. With my scuba buddies, I scuba. With my family (non scuba divers) or underwater hockey buddies, I snorkel.

As Soggy Diver indicates, it depends.

On many occasions I prefer snorkelling due to the simplicity and the likes of a day in the water with the kids; however diving with a proper dive buddy on a fascinating dive site with near ideal conditions then the real deal is scuba.

Freediving. I can stay in the water longer. My freedive wetsuit is more comfortable. Less gear to clean up at the end of the day. Less gear to hike back up the cliff trail.

As has been said it depends,
At the beach with the family I love snorkelling, grab my gear and go for a quick swim and I'm not overly missed and there is something to see, I prefer more of the up to 20 ft depths. If I have to go deeper or have a day to commit to the activity I would go Scuba all the way.
Ben

One of my children (who has over 100 dives BTW) likes to snorkel at night.

Perfers that to diving or day snorkeling.... Something for everyone I suppose!

Last edited:
Both, equally. Some places lend themselves to hours of snorkling where all the scuba gear would just be a pita. Some experiences can ONLY be done via scuba.

I don't do SCUBA or free diving. I love the freedom and spontaneity of snorkelling in North Sea just 8 miles away from where I live. A simple exposure suit, mask, snorkel and a pair of fins are all that is needed and the financial outlay is minimal. The activity provides exercise and relaxation. Contrary to popular belief, underwater flora and fauna are a bonus, not a necessity, for the snorkeller and you don't have to fly thousands of miles to remote tropical islands to enjoy snorkelling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom