Scuba Diving, Sport or Hobby?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hobby, if it is a work out your doing it wrong and your gas will not last long.
Unless there is rough water, entries, or the objective is to cover a lot of area for whatever reason. It can be a workout and not wrong.

Unless there is rough water, entries, or the objective is to cover a lot of area for whatever reason. It can be a workout and not wrong.

I will give you that... There has been dives just getting all the gear to the waters edge was a work out.

More generally I define a sport at a activity that takes special physical skills or ability. Everyone can dive. Young, Old, Fit, and not so fit. To be a better dive does take practice but diving a lot does not necicarily make you stronger.

I will give you that... There has been dives just getting all the gear to the waters edge was a work out.

More generally I define a sport at a activity that takes special physical skills or ability. Everyone can dive. Young, Old, Fit, and not so fit. To be a better dive does take practice but diving a lot does not necicarily make you stronger.
Yeah I agree with all of that. It's really a pointless argument about what is a sport or isn't. But I've found scubaboard a bit dull last few weeks, so it fills the void.

Hello everyone,

As the title say, I was wondering why is Scuba Diving considered an extreme "Sport"? in my opinion it's many things, but it's definitely not a Sport, sport it's something where you can win alone or in a team something, in diving there is nothing to win, no races, no tournaments, no championships, nothing...

Can please someone explain this to me, or you can all tell me your opinion about it...

Thanks!

:)

This question skirts around what you consider the purpose of sport. Sport developed into what it is today, which is mostly defined by spectators opinion from an honest effort and contest which was for the competitor to test himself / herself. The idea of "winning or loosing" was less important than development and progress.

I consider anything a sport that can fit into the below description:

The duration of a contest is only a few minutes,
while the training for it may take months of arduous work and a continuous exercise of self effort. The real value is not in winning, or found in the limelight of the applause, but in the hours of dogged determination and self discipline carried out alone, imposed and supervised by an exact conscience.

Applause die away.
Victory is left behind.
Character built is yours forever.

I think most would agree that diving, weather it is extreme or not, is about self discipline, and self challenge that will without question provide experiences that will build and enhance the life of the participant, and therefore embodies the best part of sport, and is clearly within the realm.

Just my opinion. :)

For me it's just a way to relax ... I don't much care what anybody else wants to call it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: mdb
Occupation for me,sport for the wife.Not that hobby and sport have any clearly defined delineation.

It depends, are you and arm chair diver or a diver? Seriously though, it is as much a sport as hiking, orienteering or flying. It is what you make of it. The idea that it's not physical misses the point. It can be very demanding or it can be very leisurely and relaxing. In the summer its a sport and in the winter it is a hobby, provided I cared for labels.

Maybe you just shot a 600 pound tuna and it's trying to wrap you up in the line, or drag you to the surface. How about a cave diver slipping their tanks off to squeeze through some rocks at 100 ft below the surface. I think it can be technical and physical, and scary. But the diving I do is just fun. I enjoy being weightless and like all of my gear that's so over kill for the diving I do. Kids and the disabled can enjoy diving too, it's a very dynamic sport

is there a score?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom